New Wildcat vs the V6 Wildcat differences?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'll check again tonight when it's dark but the V7 no filter is much wider but throws more then the 91T.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ok my iPhone camera is junk so all my pictures came out way to bright but the V7 no filter has a much bigger spot,like 3 times as big but it does throw farther. It's a regular V7 not neutral but next to the 91T it looks warm 😁

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Ok my iPhone camera is junk so all my pictures came out way to bright but the V7 no filter has a much bigger spot,like 3 times as big but it does throw farther. It's a regular V7 not neutral but next to the 91T it looks warm 😁
Thanks, much appreciated!

Another question: how does the spill compare? Is the spill of the WC v.7 more uniform, or does it have concentric rings of bright/dark like the M91T?

NH Lumens

Enlightened
So with the latest versions of the Wildcat 18650 and Hound Dog XP-L in hand, I've done a bit of experimenting.

With the diffusers of both removed, it's obvious that they use different TIR lenses. The XP-L produces a more focused, higher candela beam but with noticeable rings, especially a bright one just outside the corona. The WC produces a focused beam as well, but with a wider, less intense corona and more subtle rings. I prefer the wider, smoother "base" beam profile of the Wildcat's TIR lens.

The HD XP-L comes with a 1-degree diffuser behind the protective lens. With the diffuser installed, the XP-L is rated at 45k cd, but still produces the (IMO) distracting bright ring just outside of the corona.

Swapping in the 10-degree diffuser from the WC into the XP-L transforms the beam into a wide, smooth, ring-free pattern that is practically indistinguishable from the Wildcat. According to my measurements, the HD XP-L produces approximately 5k cd with the 10-degree diffuser, effectively matching the specs of the Wildcat. With the 10-degree diffuser installed, according to my eyeballs the WC and HD XP-L perform identically. However for outdoor use, I'd prefer a bit more throw than the 10-degree diffuser provides.

Swapping the 1-degree diffuser into the WC is where IMO things get interesting. Though the rings are still present, they remain largely unnoticed in normal use. With the 1-degree diffuser installed in the WC, I measure the candela at 30k.

At 1,000 lumens and 30,000 cd, I find this beam profile provides a good balance between throw and spill, making even the low setting quite useful. Compared to the beam profile of my M91T (750 lumens / 20k cd), the corona is wider and brighter, and the spill more uniform. It's IMO a nicely-balanced beam for general outdoor use.

Overall I'm really liking the beam profile of the WC 18650 with a 1-degree diffuser installed. If I want to be picky and could tweak it at all, I'd settle for around 25k candela in exchange for some additional beam smoothing. I'm ordering additional 1-degree diffusers and will experiment with stacking them to see if I can accomplish that.

In terms of the WC-MD2 package pictured below, it's not what I'd call a true EDC light, but at just 5-1/2" AOL and 9.2 ounces with an IMR 18650 cell, it drops into a coat or cargo pants pocket without much fuss. When I need to bring more light beyond what I normally EDC, that's exactly what I'll do.

WCMD2-1.jpg

WCMD2-2.jpg

Group photo above, left to right;
  • EDC light #1: E2XTD on an Oveready E35 body with LF Z14/Z31 Momentary Tailcap. This light is configured for momentary-only operation and carries unnoticed in a HBC. It is carried and reserved strictly for SD purposes.

• WC 18650/MC2 as described above. It rides nicely in the front-right zippered pocket of a pair of Duluth Relaxed Fit Foreman's pants.

• EDC light #2: M61L module/VME head on an Oveready E35 body with LF Z41 Style McClicky Tailcap. This is my general purpose EDC light which I carry in a front pants pocket. I find the 230 lumen output perfect for general use while providing 3+ hours of run time on an 18350 1200 mAh cell.
Equipped with grip rings, all three lights work well with my preferred syringe grip hold.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
WCMD2-3.jpg

Update

I received the extra 1-degree and 5-degree diffusers from Gene to try out.

I placed a 5-degree diffuser in the Wildcat 18650 and it produces a broad, 20k cd hot spot that diffuses smoothly into a wide spill. The beam is free of rings and truly beautiful with IMO the perfect blend of throw, spill and overall beam pattern for outdoor use.

I did the same with the HD XPL and the results were similar: a smooth, 21k cd hot spot that is not as wide as the WC with dimmer spill. The WC with a 5-degree diffuser is the clear winner between the two.

Stacking a second 1-degree diffuser on top of another 1-degree diffuser makes no noticeable difference.