The definitive Malkoff Hound Dog Super thread

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Question, my Hound Dog Super is quoted at 1600 lumens. Is that 1600 lumens constant? My Fenix TK20R has the output chart where it only actually does the 3000 lumens for a short time. In my opinion this "3000 lumen" flashlight should be advertised as a 1000 lumen light

1713754377801.png

Interested to see if the Malkoff is similar

QMT93

Enlightened
According to this, yes, it is regulated. This is the Neutral version, rated at 1,500lm.

Here's the thread. This is the work of @INFRNL. You can find runtime of almost any Malkoff variant.

And I absolutely agree with you on that lights with 3,000lm output for a few minutes or seconds must not be advertised as such.

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for confirming

The Malkoff lights on paper look like really poor value compared to Fenix, but when you factor in the extreme quality of the Malkoff and the fact they do what they say they do, its actually a fantastic deal

QMT93

Enlightened
No problem!

Malkoff products rely heavily on their simplicity and reliability. I started reading about flashlights a while ago, and ended up with Malkoff for those reasons.

doctorbrownbear

Newly Enlightened
If anyone's looking for a powerful/pocketable combo, I just found my new favorite. M91T on MD2 body (with one malkoff body extender) and 2 x keeppower 1600mah 18350s. 19,000 Lux. 750 lumens. Just did an impromptu run time test and mine kept full regulated output (by eye test compared to m61hot v2) for 55 minutes before flickering. Batteries were slightly used too. Would likely run ~1 hour+ which tracks with the INFRNL thread (40 minutes on 900mah 18350s).

Definitely packs more punch than the m61hot but the hot is impressive as well.

999snafu

Newly Enlightened
@doctorbrownbear I was just looking at a new Malkoff and just can't make mind up between the 91T and the 61HOTv2.

The way I read your post the 91 packs more punch that the HOT when they're both run on two cells, but I'd probably be more often running on a single 18500 or 18650, how do you find the two compare on a single cell?

Johnny Ryall

Newly Enlightened
Not sure about the v2 cause I haven't tested it yet but the v1 HOT on a 18500 MD1.5 body is one of my favorite small lights, since my v2 rides on a md3-4 now this will live here the rest of its life.
between it feeling like a roll of quarters in your hand and a bit sticking out with the cren bezel its a great self defense tool.

Attachments

• tempImageBZmmJ9.png
    tempImageBZmmJ9.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 30

doctorbrownbear

Newly Enlightened
@doctorbrownbear I was just looking at a new Malkoff and just can't make mind up between the 91T and the 61HOTv2.

The way I read your post the 91 packs more punch that the HOT when they're both run on two cells, but I'd probably be more often running on a single 18500 or 18650, how do you find the two compare on a single cell?
On a single cell alone, i'd recommend the m61hot. It's a beast and you're getting full regulated output at 750 lumens for ~1.5 hours on an 18650. The new m91T is nice because it now works on a single cell but in direct drive (immediate slow gradual decline in lumens) and nowhere near its rated output.

A single cell m61hot is brighter than a single cell m91T in both lumens/lux. The m91T really shines on 2 cells.

Sorry for derailing the hound dog super thread. Thought i was in the general malkoff one earlier.

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone suggest some kind of belt loop or mount for the hound dog super? Its a bit bigger than my pockets

MyUsernameTX

Newly Enlightened

md17

Newly Enlightened
If anyone's looking for a powerful/pocketable combo, I just found my new favorite. M91T on MD2 body (with one malkoff body extender) and 2 x keeppower 1600mah 18350s. 19,000 Lux. 750 lumens. Just did an impromptu run time test and mine kept full regulated output (by eye test compared to m61hot v2) for 55 minutes before flickering. Batteries were slightly used too. Would likely run ~1 hour+ which tracks with the INFRNL thread (40 minutes on 900mah 18350s).

Definitely packs more punch than the m61hot but the hot is impressive as well.
What brand batteries are you using? Protected/unprotected?

doctorbrownbear

Newly Enlightened
What brand batteries are you using? Protected/unprotected?
I was using a fenix protected 18650 3500mah, nitecore protected 18650 3600mah and keeppower protected 18350s. Might be able to eke out a bit more runtime with unprotected cells but probably not much. I charged the 2x18350s after the m91t started flickering. Both measured at 3.0v (by xtar VC4SL). One took 1511mah and the other 1561mah to charge to full.

So they do! I never saw that before

Hate to say it but I've been on the "notify me" wait list for the last 2+ months and the hound dog holster hasn't come back in stock. Fingers crossed they sell some again.

Johnny Ryall

Newly Enlightened
I was using a fenix protected 18650 3500mah, nitecore protected 18650 3600mah and keeppower protected 18350s. Might be able to eke out a bit more runtime with unprotected cells but probably not much. I charged the 2x18350s after the m91t started flickering. Both measured at 3.0v (by xtar VC4SL). One took 1511mah and the other 1561mah to charge to full.

Hate to say it but I've been on the "notify me" wait list for the last 2+ months and the hound dog holster hasn't come back in stock. Fingers crossed they sell some again.

Raine makes them, Gene just sells their generic pouch that fits his lights and many others, I've found both online when he's outa stock and the smaller ones comes in a few colors if you can find them.

stinger for the dogs's

combat for the md2's

doctorbrownbear

Newly Enlightened
Raine makes them, Gene just sells their generic pouch that fits his lights and many others, I've found both online when he's outa stock and the smaller ones comes in a few colors if you can find them.

stinger for the dogs's

combat for the md2's

Thank you!
We spoke it into existence. It just went back in stock on malkoffs website.