Shop Nerd tricks, tips and tools

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Everyday inserts, like the CNMG-4xx that cost a dollar or two, get tossed into a can when used up. The grooving inserts are different, as they are expensive & no longer made (Circle Tool Groove-It). Circle lost a lawsuit with another maker & agreed to no longer make either the holder or inserts. The inserts are long enough that I can regrind one for quite a few dozen parts before there's nothing left to grind - pretty much a rectangular carbide bar on edge. They are the easiest insert possible to sharpen, almost like working with HSS lathe tooling.

grooving.jpg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The standard thread for a camera tripod is 1/4 x 20 tpi.

I use a 1 inch bolt with a 1/2 inch sleeve. The sleeve fits into the hole where the dial indicator stem fits. A nut cinches up against the bottom of the camera..

I shoud make a nicely threaded stud, but I don't use it THAT often. I need to edit the slow motion clips of turning a piece of steel so I can post it.

Daniel

Bruceter

Newly Enlightened
Everyday inserts, like the CNMG-4xx that cost a dollar or two, get tossed into a can when used up. The grooving inserts are different, as they are expensive & no longer made (Circle Tool Groove-It). Circle lost a lawsuit with another maker & agreed to no longer make either the holder or inserts. The inserts are long enough that I can regrind one for quite a few dozen parts before there's nothing left to grind - pretty much a rectangular carbide bar on edge. They are the easiest insert possible to sharpen, almost like working with HSS lathe tooling.

grooving.jpg

If you are looking for more of that type of insert, try Thin-Bit.
I hadn't heard anything about the lawsuit, but those inserts look a lot like the ones that Thin-Bit makes.

Bruceter

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I believe that Thinbit was the company that sued Circle Tool (now a division of KennaMetal). Their designs are almost identical but Circle uses a V-shaped lower contact area, so neither one will interchange with the other. MSC/J&L had one of their 35% off sales right about the time that the lawsuit settled, and I bought a large quantity of the insert that gets run the most - even on sale, they were just over $10 each.

This particular job is pretty high profit, and pays about 3X my normal shop rate. It did require half a days investment to make the dedicated fixturing, plus the special grooving inserts & holder, but those costs were quickly recovered. If the inserts could not be sharpened, the profit margin would be a lot less.

wquiles

Flashaholic
If you have a diamond wheel, you can quickly reshape an insert to give the angled point. Diamond wheels aren't expensive on eBay if you shop a little, and they are invaluable for making a custom shaped insert. Mine mostly gets used to sharpen a grooving tool that sees nothing but grey cast iron - a few seconds on the diamond & the insert is like new again.

Which is really nice since those inserts are $15 each :mecry:

Well, you were right once again :nana:

I got the Diamond grinding wheel from Ebay, did some free hand grinding on the carbide insert in my DoGrip parting tool (neutral cut), and I think it is now working just fine ...
DSCF7368.JPG

DSCF7370.JPG

DSCF7369.JPG

here is a close-up of the very sharp and angled (my guess around 7-10 deg) cutting edge:
DSCF7371.JPG

Thank you again ;)

Will

wquiles

Flashaholic
I have purchased one of these too!

The concept of this little "universal" vise is great, I only wish I could say the same about the built quality. Mine is very badly machined, with an impressive "backlash" in the tightening screw and remarkably awefull surface finish.

It'll see some use though, it's still functionnal and does what it does.

For those who have one, I suggest using some heatshrink or RC fuel tubing over the pins to make them anti-slip and non scratching, if needed.

I have been using this pin vice for about a year now and I too have been really disgusted with how poorly made it is, and how much slop there is on the sliding surfaced. So instead of buying a premium vice from Otto Frei for $350-500, I simply rebuild my pin vice with fitted Delrin sleeves - the difference is like day and night. Once I finish the "project" I will create a new post with all of the photos and details ;)

snoboy

Newly Enlightened
Try a local fabric or crafts store. They sell them for cutting on with rotary cutters.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Random question, what is the name of that green desk protector mat and where can I get one!? I have been looking everywhere for something like that

What I have is actually not prefered. I was originally going to use ESD matting which is appropiate for the work I do like I have on my bench at work. But the stuff I want is expensive & it doesn't make sense to buy a roll of it now for my current desk which is not cheap.

It's a self healing mat & as snoboy mentioned can be found at any craft store. This one replaced my old beat up Xacto brand self healing mat that I got more than 15 years ago. The one I have now is made by Alvin, the other side is black.

Img_1767.jpg

OLFA is another popular brand of self healing mats. That light blue piece under my pin vise is also a self healing mat which was a left over piece of the Craftsman one I used for my tool box/rolling service cart.

sosemot728

Enlightened
Last edited: