1,290,000 CD Flashlight (non-aspherical)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Invaluable information from The Miller. Once again, actual use for an extended time can really inform us as to the utility of any tool. Sure this delightful device is fun, but it can also be truly useful for some people and that is what is really important.

For our terrain here where we live, the Eagtac large reflector single 18650 flashlight (M25C2) along with a Nitecore TM36, pretty much don't get used because it is more than needed, and the increased weight is burdensome for the hour or so most of our night-walks take.

One would think that this flashlight should be sold with clear, explicit warnings about the filled battery carriers when handled outside of the flashlight. Should someone press the contact end of the carrier to a conductive surface that would conform to the placement of the positive and negative, I fear the worst. Is there a safety feature to prevent a short circuit?

This is a fun flashlight for sure, and I have not gone to the other forum to read in more detail about it, so I am really pretty ignorant about the particulars. Looking forward to learning more about this here on CPF. Thanks!

Last edited:

giorgoskok

Newly Enlightened
Invaluable information from The Miller. Once again, actual use for an extended time can really inform us as to the utility of any tool. Sure this delightful device is fun, but it can also be truly useful for some people and that is what is really important.

For our terrain here where we live, the Eagtac large reflector single 18650 flashlight (M25C2) along with a Nitecore TM36, pretty much don't get used because it is more than needed, and the increased weight is burdensome for the hour or so most of our night-walks take.

One would think that this flashlight should be sold with clear, explicit warnings about the filled battery carriers when handled outside of the flashlight. Should someone press the contact end of the carrier to a conductive surface that would conform to the placement of the positive and negative, I fear the worst. Is there a safety feature to prevent a short circuit?

This is a fun flashlight for sure, and I have not gone to the other forum to read in more detail about it, so I am really pretty ignorant about the particulars. Looking forward to learning more about this here on CPF. Thanks!

Just my 2c . This is not the flashlight i would take for your regular walk , but the flashlight when you need to inspect or just look something at over a mile away ... :)

About the possible short of the carriers when loading cells you're right , a warning should be added somewhere on the carrier.

slambert4438

Newly Enlightened
Cool vid VOB!!

Yes let me clarify the cells and carriers for the GT
With a head this big and heavy it needed balancing. like if you pick up a long heavy tool like a sledge hammer, holding it while walking to the place you want to use it, easiest is to carryit in such a way the weight is balanced, holding it at the end far away from the heavy metal hammering part makes if very hard to carry.

So we needed 4 cells to get to the desired voltage.
And now the carriers connect in parallel, meaning one can use it with 1 carrier empty, preferably the on closest to the head and the GT has a nice balanced weight.
If one needs maximum runtimes it can work with 2 times 4 cells doubling the time one has to play with it between charging.

About comparison with TN42 (vn or not)
It is really cool, a lot of smart people did a lot of calculations for the reflector.
Based on the simple spec 120mm at the widest.
In the end the ideal depth was calculated via different methods (and we needed to know the depth in order to design the head around it)
It is less then 0.5% the same ratio as the TN42 reflector IIRC
Very cool IMHO that a bunch of enthusiasts calculate and get this close to the reflector the reigning LED reflector based throw king (at that time ;) ) had.

The GT used in the video is a prototype with a prototype reflector, Lumintop has smoothened the reflector surface more, so the throw we see on the prototype is less then on actual production.
I think it is safe to say, there is no way a TN42, K70 or BK-FA09S can beat the GT in throw with just their reflector.

And for longer time use, the TN42 is too unbalanced for me. I had to do things I needed light at greater distances, I wanted to dump the TN42 for a modded Courui D01. it is easier to carry, the TN4 is too front heavy for anything longer then half an hour, so even on that regard I think the GT might be more practical.
I ended up hanging a S2+ at the tailcap of the TN42 to balance it out better, which worked out OK

TN42 unbalanced? Were are you holding the TN42 at the tail cap? If you grab it around the cooling fin were the E-Switch is normally to control the levels, most of the weight is in the palm of my hand. Front heavy? Holding at the battery tube before the fin, it feels (the weight) still mostly in my hand.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you everyone for all the wonderful comments!!!!!

Yes its fully regulated. about 2.5 amp on turbo. This light would not fit in my lumen tube, but I tried to test it anyway. I got about 1900 lumens. Texas Ace said he got closer to 2400 IIRC. I would bet the 2400 is much closer.

Interesting. The output then is about twice as Olight SR52UT, but 8times the hotspot intensity! :eek: Now we are talking about super focused beam!

It was done purely for balance, from what I read. It could run with 4 cells, the long tube, and an empty carrier (8 not necessary). Or a short tube (availability tbd). It draws something less than 3A IIRC.
But if you shorten it to 4 cells, or make it battery pack, then the light will be super head-heavy. At that point it'd have to be redesigned into a different form factor entirely. As the goal was to make a mega thrower *flashlight*, 8 cells gives a good balance in hand.

I understand. And with 8cells the runtime has to be decent at the highest level. That's good!

Texas_Ace

Newly Enlightened
The LED in this light is the exact one from this test, I had to swap out the stock CW emitter shortly after I got the prototype as something caused the LED to get a burnt spot (not surprising considering how many times and people have taken it apart and put it back together, simply a prototype issue).

The final LED should be very close to this as well.

d69Zxl1.jpg

EnderMan on BLF also pointed out a great aspheric lens that with some work I think could almost drop into Giggles. With a weaiven (SP?) collar it could possibly get almost twice the throw as it has now.

Talk about modding potential!

That doesn't even talk about the ability to drop in an XHP70.2 with only a resistor swap on the driver and a new mcpcb.

Or swapping to a flat black and setting your sights on 2mcd.

Modders will love this light. Heck it has enough room for a buttload of flooder LED's and optics and the batteries and carriers to handle them! You could fit 23 20mm TIR optics in this head. Or 23 triple mcpcb's.

Hmm, 23 x 3 = 69 XP-L2 LED's

Or go full mule with 16mm xhp70 mcpcb's, it would fit 39 of them.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I question why ultra-throwers should be in "flashlight" form factor. A "lantern" form with a rectangular shape and a carry handle on top is easier to hold or put down and aim. You are going to be standing still "sweeping" the horizon looking for something, not running or climbing.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
How do you switch from "up" to "down" before reaching the end of range? Needs dual switches so you don't have to remember which way it last went.

Why does each battery need a spring? Why not screw on one end with a push & quarter turn and have a single spring on the central axis?

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I question why ultra-throwers should be in "flashlight" form factor. A "lantern" form with a rectangular shape and a carry handle on top is easier to hold or put down and aim. You are going to be standing still "sweeping" the horizon looking for something, not running or climbing.

I agree. And I think many flashlights from 4x18650 and larger should be like that. What's wrong with the typical 4D lantern design? I find it strange that the flashlight manufacturers have not made high quality LED models based on that design.

Pöbel

Enlightened

I agree. But this is personal preference. We had a vote on BLF and the majority wanted a more regular flash light design and this is what it's gonna be. In the end it does not matter as the light is mainly for giggles anyways.

Texas_Ace

Newly Enlightened
How do you switch from "up" to "down" before reaching the end of range? Needs dual switches so you don't have to remember which way it last went.

Why does each battery need a spring? Why not screw on one end with a push & quarter turn and have a single spring on the central axis?

The UI IS VERY intuitive. Everyone that I have let try my Narsil lights had them figured out and fell in love with them within 30 seconds. It is truly a thing of beauty that you can't understand until you try it.

The carrier is setup to handle large amounts of power while being robust and inexpensive. Any moving parts will drastically increase costs and add possible reliability issues.

Setting them up like this also means they can be switched to 1S or 2S cell setup very easily with just some oshpark PCB's, opening up the options for modding the light even more.

Keitho

Enlightened
Good design, in my opinion. The 1/4"-20 tripod mount makes mounting a handle easy--there are tons of shapes and sizes of still and video camera handles that will work. I think I might carve one out of wood, actually, just for this light. I was a long time lurker on BLF--this light motivated me to get an account so I could get one.

joechina

Newly Enlightened

No, one switch is enough. The BLF GT has NarsilM as Firmware. The UI is (today) the same as the BLF Q8 ( besides the ramp goes only to 2A and only double click brings you to 2.5A)

You press the button and hold it, the lamp ramps. To reverse the direction, release the button and press and hold again (within 1.2 seconds).
If you wait longer and you do the second press and hold later, e.g. 2 seconds, it will not reverse the direction.

Be aware NarsilM is dangerous, after buying the Q8 I want all my lights with that interface.

Joe

joechina

Newly Enlightened
I am happy that the BLF GT is no use to me, to big, to much $$$, so no need to buy it.
But that EDC lamp FW3A (also on BLF), I am doomed!

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
No, one switch is enough. The BLF GT has NarsilM as Firmware. The UI is (today) the same as the BLF Q8 ( besides the ramp goes only to 2A and only double click brings you to 2.5A)

You press the button and hold it, the lamp ramps. To reverse the direction, release the button and press and hold again (within 1.2 seconds).
If you wait longer and you do the second press and hold later, e.g. 2 seconds, it will not reverse the direction.

Be aware NarsilM is dangerous, after buying the Q8 I want all my lights with that interface.

Joe

To the contrary, you have to remember which way it was going the last time you pressed it.
Needs separate up & down switches.

hahoo

Enlightened
Too much $$$? That is dirt cheap for a light of that form and performance.

you said that right
ive said that from the beginning
this light is an absolute steal at what its going for
it would be a steal at 200 bucks still..
its not a HID i know, but getting in the same ball park as some, and surpassing some also
go price a good quality hid, with a 5 inch reflector, then report back
you cant buy the battery packs for what this light costs.. " nodoubt " ;)

Latest posts