#1 FOURSEVENS Knight and Paladin - PK collaboration!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lookalikes by JETBeam are now final
Not even close.

Please don't post links to shameless knock-off attempts which actually promotes them.

That is an insult to almost a year of effort that PK and 47's put into to make these happen.

Last edited:

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I Love my Four Sevens/PKDL Knight and can't wait to get both Paladins!(earlier I mixed up the model names, as David states on the intro video "Paladin are a very special group of Knights"). And for the 4th of July Sale, if you spend over $100 you get a free latest edition Preon 1! Thank you Four Sevens, and thank you David for being an active participant on CPF!

Last edited:

witness

Newly Enlightened
Conflicting information about "turbo mode".

According to David Chow, when used with rechargeable RCR123A, the PK Knight outputs 600 lumens that then steps down 50% (after one minute). In a post on this forum Foursevens clarified that this also happens when using a normal CR123A (the output drops from 450 lumens to 50% (225 lumens) after a minute).

Before I noticed this "Foursevens" post I sent an email to Foursevens tech support and they told me "If you use the standard CR123 then the 450 lumens will be continuous".

Can anyone tell me which is true?

Also, how does one obtain the "CPF discount"?

Last edited:
Re: Conflicting information about "turbo mode".

According to David Chow, when used with rechargeable RCR123A, the PK Knight outputs 600 lumens that then steps down 50% (after one minute). In a post on this forum Foursevens clarified that this also happens when using a normal CR123A (the output drops from 450 lumens to 50% (225 lumens) after a minute).

Before I noticed this "Foursevens" post I sent an email to Foursevens tech support and they told me "If you use the standard CR123 then the 450 lumens will be continuous".

Can anyone tell me which is true?

Also, how does one obtain the "CPF discount"?

Not that it carries as much weight as it once did (my ability to remember) but, I don't remember reading anything concerning the PK's stepping down their output. Can you provide a quote? Thank you.

~ Chance

witness

Newly Enlightened
Re: FOURSEVENS Knight and Paladin - PK collaboration!

Post #6
Great video. That click switch seems pretty ingenious to me! To clarify the burst mode (using a 123) - 450 OTF lumens for 60 seconds and then ~225 lumens for two hours? That sounds great.

And was was that a AAA bolt action light?!

Post #7

yes and yes

This was the exchange early in the thread (post #6 and the reply from Foursevens in post #7) but tech support refutes it. Surely there is someone on this thread who has the Knight who knows if high (450 lumens with the CR123) stays high continuously or whether it steps down.

witness

Newly Enlightened

Post #6
Great video. That click switch seems pretty ingenious to me! To clarify the burst mode (using a 123) - 450 OTF lumens for 60 seconds and then ~225 lumens for two hours? That sounds great.

And was was that a AAA bolt action light?!

Post #7

yes and yes

This was the exchange early in the thread (but tech support refuted it yesterday). Surely there is someone on this thread who has the Knight who knows if high (450 lumens with the CR123) stays high continuously or whether it steps down.

Last edited:

Link Archer VI

Newly Enlightened

YES it steps down!
I got a Paladin recently, so I tested it with the included CR123 primary and a LiFePO4 RCR. I turned the light on high and timed the stepdown with a stopwatch. I don't have any sophisticated testing equipment, so these observations are made visually. After 1 minute 30 seconds, it starts the stepdown, and after 2 minutes it seems to finish the stepdown.

Incidentally, despite the lower voltage of LiFePO4 (3.2v vs 3.7v) it still seems slightly brighter on the burst mode than on a primary, although how much I can't say for sure.

Last edited:

witness

Newly Enlightened

Sorry they will not be numbered. It's a logistical nightmare dealing with number requests :p

yes and yes

YES it steps down!
I got a Paladin recently, so I tested it with the included CR123 primary and a LiFePO4 RCR. I turned the light on high and timed the stepdown with a stopwatch. I don't have any sophisticated testing equipment, so these observations are made visually. After 1 minute 30 seconds, it starts the stepdown, and after 2 minutes it seems to finish the stepdown.

Incidentally, despite the lower voltage of LiFePO4 (3.2v vs 3.7v) it still seems slightly brighter on the burst mode than on a primary, although how much I can't say for sure.

Thanx,
Those observations jibe with David Chow's assertion that you get 600 lumens from the rechargeable. It is a little annoying though, that they seem to be misleading on the max lumens and don't make it clear that the max is in "turbo mode" only. To me this makes the specs on this flashlight useless. I don't want a maximum to impress people, I want a maximum that is useable. Extreme brightness for one minute is just for show and bragging rights IMHO.

dchang0

Newly Enlightened

Sorry for the necropost. This appears to be the proper thread for this question.

I have a Paladin that I've dropped a few times and broken something inside the tailcap. Occasionally it will turn itself on, even with the tailcap screwed all the way out to lock-out position, so I believe there is a loose piece of metal floating around inside the switch.

Does anyone know how to non-destructively open the tailcap to service the switch mechanism and replace the o-ring (if there is one--I'm pretty sure there is since it is water-resistant). Or, if there's a way to clear out the loose piece of metal without opening the cap, that would be sufficient.

I've asked Prometheus' tech support but they do not yet have an answer.

And I'm looking for a replacement for my Paladin, but if there's a way to fix it, I can keep running it as my EDC.

Buying another one doesn't make sense because I'll just accidentally drop the new one and break it again, so finding a way to fix it is a must before buying a second one.

Thanks in advance!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had exactly the same problem.
I started this thread, but it's not good news...
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?453678-PK-Knight-Tailswitch

I ended up buying a Quark body and tail from kingofsoles on Ebay (I can send you a link to his stuff by PM, if you wish).
The head works just fine, and although it's now a clicky, I have a good working light.
Here's the diagram PK sent me of the tailcap

pk47.jpg

P

Last edited:

I was able to procure a few prototypes and preproduction Paladins. The prototypes (2, 3, 5, & 7) don't have a removable bezel ring. The preproduction, number 4, does.
X8pqxN7.jpg

Also, forgot to state, the prototypes have a convex tail-switch, while the production lights have a concave switch.

Last edited:

dchang0

Newly Enlightened

Whoa, thanks Peter and Chauncey! I will go post in the other thread.

(And nice Paladins/Knights--makes me want to buy another, but I really shouldn't since I drop these things on a regular basis.)

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chauncey Gardiner AKA Proto-Ho. :crackup::p
I was told that some protos had tailcaps that would come off easily.

There may be a way to remove the tailcap, it is implausible but possible.
You would need to shove something thin and narrow (perhaps a cut strip of a soda can) around the full circumference under the space near the o-ring and SS clip , then carefully closing the tailcap and hopefully compressing the SS clip. Then slowly unscrewing the tailcap with the SS clip compressed.
It would be very difficult as the gap to insert is too small to just insert a wide enough strip, you would have to shove the strip in prior to attempting screwing it down and compressing the SS clip.