~1000 Lumen Neutral White Outdoors/Hiking Light

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
I went to REI today to pick up a Fenix PD35. Nice little light, but returned it after I saw how cool (blue) the beam was. Little did I know until a little more investigation that many companies offer a "neutral white" option for their lights. I found that although it was bright, the information one's eyes loses when colors aren't reproduced correctly isn't worth the extra brightness.

I saw the Thrunite TN12, but I'm not sure how robust or durable these are. I imagine they're comparable to Fenix in that regard?? Anyway, I was just looking for some advice from more knowledgeable flashaholics before ordering a TN12 NW. If there are any better built lights (slightly larger is okay if it's brighter) that are meant for carrying around in the outdoors I'd be appreciative for any information. I'd like to either be able to carry it in a jacket pocket or be relatively comfy while belt holstered. A good balance between throw/flood, waterproof, and impact resistant are a must, I don't want it to fail in the middle of nowhere.

wjv

Enlightened
Look at the Fenix 32UE. It has a very nice neutral tint and a good balance between throw/flood. There are some videos on Youtube comparing the PD35 beam with the PD32UE.

Here is one of the best comparison videos that shows the tint differences between the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-P9d6A5Hpo

The LD50 is nice also, but costs a lot more $$$$.

desmobob

Enlightened
If you don't mind a little extra weight, check out the ThruNite TN4A neutral white. What a light for fifty bucks!!! I just got mine today and really like it a lot. It has a pleasantly warm beam tint.

Take it easy,
Bob

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
desmobob beat me to it but the TN4A in neutral white will most likely be the best $50 you will ever spend on an LED light. 1000+ for real out the front lumens, usable mode spacing, HUGE beam that throws like a D cell Maglite, one switch operation with low voltage sensor, waterproof, uses 4xAA NiMHs, surprisingly good build quality and comes with an above average belt sheath to boot. I have the cool white version the above poster has the new neutral white. I dont know about the NW TN4A being as neutral as the old XM-L PD32UE and I doubt that it is but the XM-L2 in the TN4A is still neutral.

Avoid the TN12. Yes it does actually put out 1000 lumens but as a high output single 18650 one-inch diameter light the PD35 is much better built. The TN12 may indeed be available in NW but if you are going to spend $50 on a Thrunite the TN4A is far and away much more well constructed than the TN12 is. I have found my TN12 to actually be kind of fragile with its thin aluminum and thin anodizing. Drop it on the ground and it flickers. So in my opinion no, the TN12 is neither robust or durable, the TN4A is. Odd considering they both come from the same company for the same price.

WhitedragonBC

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at some of the Eagletac lights. Few different ones depending on what size/throw you want: P200LC2, T200C2, G25C2, S200C2.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Posts containing links have been deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
Posts containing links have been deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

I can post the brand and model of a flashlight, but not the link to the manufacturer's product description/specs page :confused:

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
I can post the brand and model of a flashlight, but not the link to the manufacturer's product description/specs page :confused:

Correct.

CPF costs money to run. To get some income cpf can sell some add space for company's on the site. Why would you pay for advertising if you can just make threads and post links to your site that way? It wouldn't be fair against company's paying for advertising and would also result in too much spam from people trying to promote their company/site.

Edit: To atleast stay a bit on topic: I'm not that picky as it comes to colours outdoors, because I see little diffrence personaly but maybe also look into some warmer colours? More towards the real sunlight temp. or high cri (not sure what temp. they run) lights, which always get high praises in regards to outdoor illumination.

Last edited:

Enlightened
desmobob beat me to it but the TN4A in neutral white will most likely be the best $50 you will ever spend on an LED light. 1000+ for real out the front lumens, usable mode spacing, HUGE beam that throws like a D cell Maglite, one switch operation with low voltage sensor, waterproof, uses 4xAA NiMHs, surprisingly good build quality and comes with an above average belt sheath to boot. I have the cool white version the above poster has the new neutral white. I dont know about the NW TN4A being as neutral as the old XM-L PD32UE and I doubt that it is but the XM-L2 in the TN4A is still neutral. Avoid the TN12. Yes it does actually put out 1000 lumens but as a high output single 18650 one-inch diameter light the PD35 is much better built. The TN12 may indeed be available in NW but if you are going to spend $50 on a Thrunite the TN4A is far and away much more well constructed than the TN12 is. I have found my TN12 to actually be kind of fragile with its thin aluminum and thin anodizing. Drop it on the ground and it flickers. So in my opinion no, the TN12 is neither robust or durable, the TN4A is. Odd considering they both come from the same company for the same price.
The TN4A is listed as 3C tint on the TN web site and I have heard the old PD32UE is also a 3C. I don't own either one so I can't confirm.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
tough one. I have the 32UE but do not have the NW TN4A I have the CW version. Would still recommend the NW TN4A seeing as how the 32UE has been out of production a while...

fcbrian

Newly Enlightened
I'll ditto the TN4A NW as mentioned in the above posts. Awesome light , gobs of power, AA platform and great ui. Size might bother some.

Also take a close look at the Zebra SC62w. Yes it seems like a lot of $ . But it is a game changer in my opinion for power, runtime, and most of all size. I edc it now, (up from AAA ti). If runtime is a concern, throw spare 18650 in your pocket, and still be lighter than some single cell lights and probably all multicell lights.It could fit a headband sidemount if you want.

A lot of people will shelf a lot of lights because of this little powerhouse. And the UI is very intuitive after about 5 min and VERY usefull.

Good luck

Brian

Norm

Retired Administrator
Due to the many shills this sbforum attracted, links are no longer permitted, mentioning dealer / manufacturers names without a link are permitted. - Norm

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind a little extra weight, check out the ThruNite TN4A neutral white. What a light for fifty bucks!!! I just got mine today and really like it a lot. It has a pleasantly warm beam tint.
The TN4A is listed as 3C tint on the TN web site and I have heard the old PD32UE is also a 3C. I don't own either one so I can't confirm.

Which is around 5000K, not what I'd call warm but neutral would be spot on.

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
I went with the suggestion to look at EagleTac. One of their new lights for 2015, the P25LC2 caught my eye, and ordered one in the neutral white T6 LED configuration.

kestrel452

Newly Enlightened
Just got my light, and i have to say that i *hate* the brightness adjustment. Making it so that you have to unscrew the head in order to dim the flashlight instead of being able to just click a mode button seems like a cheap design. Am I alone in finding this style of brightness adjustment awkward and annoying?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A benefit to the head loose/tight mode selection is that the output can be selected before the light is turned on.

Another very important benefit is that it isn't possible to accidentally switch modes during momentary operation. If the head is loose, the output will always be low (or whatever head loose is supposed to be) no matter how the tailcap is operated. If the head is tight, the output will always be high (or whatever head tight is supposed to be).

I personally consider it an outstanding UI, tied with the Elzetta's tailcap loose/tight UI. obviously, YMMV.

drummer132132

Enlightened
Just got my light, and i have to say that i *hate* the brightness adjustment. Making it so that you have to unscrew the head in order to dim the flashlight instead of being able to just click a mode button seems like a cheap design. Am I alone in finding this style of brightness adjustment awkward and annoying?

A benefit to the head loose/tight mode selection is that the output can be selected before the light is turned on.

Another very important benefit is that it isn't possible to accidentally switch modes during momentary operation. If the head is loose, the output will always be low (or whatever head loose is supposed to be) no matter how the tailcap is operated. If the head is tight, the output will always be high (or whatever head tight is supposed to be).

I personally consider it an outstanding UI, tied with the Elzetta's tailcap loose/tight UI. obviously, YMMV.

I also find the Eagletac UI to be great in comparison to other UI's out there. I bought an Eagletac MX25L3C Nichia 219 version for the sole purpose of walking/hiking at night and find it to be outstanding with color rendition/lumen output and has completely spoiled me with tint. It has become my most favorite light due to size, output, weight, tint and UI. Having the ability to pre-select a mode is extremely useful but I must admit it isn't as polished as an SRT light from Nitecore. With no audible sound or feel for a detent makes it slightly more difficult to pre-select a mode but the other positives heavily out way this negative. To each their own though in the end.

fcbrian

Newly Enlightened

Just out of curiosity, what made you chose the EagleTac? It's obviously a great quality brand, but I'm not crazy about that type ui either, especially on a small light. I have a Nitecore MH25 with similar ui and it hangs by the backdoor now for a my wifes "dog light".(I have the NC P25 clicky/sidewitch for me now) . Similar style on the Olight M2x, but that just stays on "light saber" mode all the time:). On the big dogs it doesn't matter so much, but even the K40M can be one handed once on.

I've recently been carrying the little ZL SC62w ,as mentioned in my post above. It's my first ZL and I absolutely love the ui . One click gets to Hi(or H2) , 1/2 sec click to low(or l2) and double is med (or m2). It's almost as addicting as opening and closing my assisted ZT edc knife:whistle:

Oh well , keep us posted, you'll get used to it.

Good luck

Brian