103 Mcd Xenon Flashlight Project - BFF

DOHC20

Newly Enlightened
Re: 1?? Mcd Xenon Flashlight Project - BFF

awesome build..so much detail and time involved, its always great to see that kind of effort. can i ask where you got that Carbon tube for the housing from?

PolarLi

Enlightened

Sorry guys for the long wait again. I didn't want to bumb the thread just to tell everyone I still had no update, but since it is up now, I can reveal the light is completed, pretty much... It was actually completed almost a month ago, except it all stopped on one tiny detail: the DC voltage meter. Because of some trouble with the shipping, had to reorder from a different place, but now it's finally in transit.

PolarLi

Enlightened

So the light is completed! Bet you never saw that coming :laughing:

uaB3wF1.jpg

Well, it took a while but it's finally up and running as a fully assembled and working light. That isn't to say that I won't touch it anymore, actually have some plans for a small mod, but nothing major.

I know that all want to know the performance, but I just put it together yesterday, so it still needs some fine tuning before I reveal the final numbers. What I can say is that it is offically over 100,000,000 candela, but not by much.
I will add some daylight pics when the weather permits and of course more beamshots and the final number.

NFhruQ2.jpg

ZZGEo7T.jpg

wFUebd4.jpg

NDpy2dQ.jpg

Pi4KyYs.jpg

Small comment on the new DC voltmeter, have not programmed it for the battery capacity yet, so don't pay to much attention to all the numbers.

WL6sQ6w.jpg

Also have something else coming up that deserves a new thread, Project MCP. Pretty cool little thing actually ;) And luckily for you, that project is completed so it will be one big post with all the good stuff.

ujdCS6n.jpg

:wave:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast

Finally! So awesome! Please post more pics/beamshots when you find the time!

PolarLi

Enlightened

Thanks The Driver, I appreciate your patience!

So the weather has been pretty bad the last weeks, but I finally got a weather window today and did a proper lux test, and I finally have the numbers! On a distance of 233 meters, I got 1934 and 1885 lux on two different lux meters (Amprobe LM120 and Testo 540).
This gives me an average of 103,600,000 Candela which is the official number for now :party:

So first of all, I'm very pleased that I passed my own prediction in the title of this thread. But the fact of the matter is that this light actually clocked in way more on tests I did last year.
The lux drop simply boils down to lack of reflector accuracy, mostly due to a mount that isn't as robust as the one I put on the MCP light.
The reflector itself is also bonded directly to the aluminium on this light which makes it very sensitive. When that is said, I'm not complaining! (just a little bit)
And needless to say, it's still a killer light! More beamshots with something better than my cellphone is definitely coming up when the sky is clear. I will probably wait with the daylight pictures until the sun returns.

Here is a video of it in action tonight:

https://vimeo.com/385063394

qjWZ2xq.jpg

l1aRvcS.jpg

eU5JI9i.jpg

XPXMwVs.jpg

Last edited:

PolarLi

Enlightened

So I saw a comment on why I didn't do anything to reduce spill light. For instance I could have installed so called spill rings or just a tube over the lamp. Well, it would have been nice, but not really worth the effort because the BFF doesn't spill much at all, it just looks worse here because of the snow.

So I did a pretty interesting, if not "brutal" comparison tonight. I took the biggest LED thrower I have, which isn't very big at all(!) but still a great thrower for it's size, an Acebeam K50 v3, XHP35Hi, 450 Kcd, 2500 lm (on a good day?) vs the BFF. I set the camera to 1/30 sec, f/2.8, 15mm, ISO 1270 and took a few shots. The results speaks for themself. The K50 almost "outspill" the BFF, and in some places it does, seen on the trees to the right, 1/4 downrange :faint:

BFF, note that almost all the spill comes from the tungsten anode seen by the classic 2700K incan glow, not from the arc itself. The main reason for this is that the anode is not in focus (and never can be). But when this light is used on grass, gravel, not to mention water, the spill basically disappears.

tNCKi9D.jpg

K50:

0BrpFlX.jpg

gFTLNxn.jpg

Edit, I made a drawing that show better why most of the spill only comes from the anode itself, which ironically also eliminate most of the spill from the arc. By installing rings like the picture of the Francis light you would also remove the anode spill.

Aa6QxHA.jpg

E6I8Yy8.jpg

QZnsWgX.jpg

Last edited:

Zandar

Enlightened

From start to finish, this has been one very impressive project, that has been a joy to watch! I can't wait to see the new project!