1D lights?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a handful of "dead" AAA alkalines that came out of some radios at around 0.9v each. I've found that the Eveready 1D can get 2 nights of night-light duty out of each of these cells before it won't turn on again. That's about 20 hours of run-time split in half by a 14 hour resting period.

I continue to be impressed with these inexpensive lights.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at Walmart the other day and saw something interesting..... a 1D light made by Ozark Mountain I think...... had a "chip" emitter and a magnifying lens and the case looked like the Energizer case with the same click switch. Price was under $3.

Does it produce a "full moon" type beam or something more tolerable?

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

bykfixer

Flashaholic
While the up and coming Chinese light companies are fighting the lumen wars while making them cheaper and cheaper the 2 worlds oldest light makers are developing products aimed squarely at the budget minded consumer. An old school idea being rekindled.

Is it working in 2018? Eh, time will tell.
A look back at history shows that battery makers made flashlights. Some were nice, like Burgess and Bright Star who produced a nicer version of same ole sameness where Eveready and Rayovac both made lights at the lower end of the cost scale. Profit was made by selling batteries. It worked for 100 years.

Now that rechargeables are moving forward battery sales are slipping and sliding faster than a World Cup skier in Switzerland. Yet the average consumer still prefers convenience.
Folks, we are at a point where 35% of Americas population below the age of 40 says preparing a bowl of breakfast cereal takes to long. So folks would rather pay $6 for a box of 6 breakfast bars than $3 for enough Cheerios to live on for 2 weeks.

Enter Rayovac Brite Essentials and Eveready LED/DEL lineup. They arrive with uber cheap carbon zinc cells, (sometimes already installed) and tout lots of hours runtime. And hey, their $3 each. Battery leaks, switch breaks, goes dim.... toss 'em in the trash and move on. It's the Bic lighter for the new millenium.

It worked for them from the 1970's (and before) until a few years ago when the incan and LED were equally costly to produce. And thanks to lumen wars these two companies can easily and cheaply produce lights with enough output for the average consumer while able to run dozens of hours on fuel cells that probably cost a dime a dozen (or less) to produce.

I have the 2aa version of the 1D xxo and flatline mention. It was $3 and is similar to $1.99 lights from the 70's and 80's but is brighter than the 2 cell light bulb and is stated to run 45 hours.

Not only that, but they can be found in gas stations, grocery stores, drug stores and other places Amazon hasn't taken over.

It's simple genious marketing that began in New York by a man named Conrad Hubert in about 1915.

I'm doing a thread in the budget section about these style flashlights. While the plastic ones are... well, plastic, there are actually some decently made metal products being sold by these two companies. Eveready owns Energizer and they are producing some fairly durable forward thinking lights that compete with the Rayovac Indestructable line. So while ching-ping and fong-gong are trying to out SureFire SureFire, Rayovac and Eveready are quietly taking back the consumer market using old school products with new school technologies.

It was something I think Maglite had in mind with the ML25 in 016 where a 2c (or 3) sized tube was built around the minimag platform. Meanwhile they are being found in less and less spaces so they are attempting to find a spot in the online market place. Coast, Defiant, Lux Pro and others squeezed Maglite shelf space smaller and smaller into near extinction. So they are in rebuild mode right now. But don't count Maglite out just yet. Tony Maglica has some pretty savvy people around him and their new lineup is quietly picking up steam.
I hope to see something like an ML12.5c (or D) where it's an uber runtime 1 cell light, but Tony seems stuck in those lumen wars right now.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
As xxo pointed out in another thread, Rayovac has a new 1D flashlight on their website: The Brite Essentials

http://www.rayovac.com/products/lig...ls-1d-led-hang-loop-flashlight-twin-pack.aspx

The specs are promising: 20L for 140 hours on an alkaline D cell.

The pics all look like autocad drawings, so there's no telling what these things really look like.

Has anyone seen these in stores yet?

--flatline
Its a shame that they don't display a picture of the working end of the light... the LED.
Is it a COB, an LED, or one of those PR2 LEDs?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's a PR2 platform Poppy.

IMG_20180511_213235.jpg

1970's style setup with a Sandwich Shoppe clone LED.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its a shame that they don't display a picture of the working end of the light... the LED.
Is it a COB, an LED, or one of those PR2 LEDs?

The 2AA light uses a 3v PR2 bulb. I've never seen a 1.5v PR2 bulb from Rayovac, so I'm not sure what to expect from the 1D light.

If the 1D light has a 1.5v PR2 bulb, then I'll buy a dozen of them. I've got a bunch of old 2D flashlights that I'd love to convert to 1D lights.

--flatline

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The 2AA light uses a 3v PR2 bulb. I've never seen a 1.5v PR2 bulb from Rayovac, so I'm not sure what to expect from the 1D light.

If the 1D light has a 1.5v PR2 bulb, then I'll buy a dozen of them. I've got a bunch of old 2D flashlights that I'd love to convert to 1D lights.

--flatline
The first generation Eveready 1D LED lights had a 1.5v PR base bulb in them that would run off 2 nimh batteries but at times 2 alkalines would overdrive and fry them. The main problem with some of the PR base LED dropins is the focus of them doesn't always work with old incan lights at all, only focusing incans can get them to work.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first generation Eveready 1D LED lights had a 1.5v PR base bulb in them that would run off 2 nimh batteries but at times 2 alkalines would overdrive and fry them. The main problem with some of the PR base LED dropins is the focus of them doesn't always work with old incan lights at all, only focusing incans can get them to work.

It's definitely hit or miss. The 3v bulb that Rayovac is using in that 2AA works great in my old yellow industrial 2D duracell flashlights.

I don't like the beam of the 2AA because of the lens they use. The little "mound" in the middle may give a nice hot spot in the beam, but the area around the hot spot is significantly dimmer than the spill which is annoying. The Eveready 1D light does not have that problem.

--flatline

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It's definitely hit or miss. The 3v bulb that Rayovac is using in that 2AA works great in my old yellow industrial 2D duracell flashlights.

I don't like the beam of the 2AA because of the lens they use. The little "mound" in the middle may give a nice hot spot in the beam, but the area around the hot spot is significantly dimmer than the spill which is annoying. The Eveready 1D light does not have that problem.

--flatline
I agree the magnifying mound on the 2AA Rayovac is no good, my issue with them is the light itself doesn't hold up well in use I've broken 2 of them and except for the dropin don't recommend the lights but as a one use light (disposable).
I have a few 2 cell lights using dropins still but almost never use them due to having 1AA and 18650 LED lights to use instead. My D cell lights are all stand by emergency type lights scattered in strategic locations that have sit there unused for the last 15 years.
In other words I have so many other LED lights that putting drop ins to convert old incans is no longer needed.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
In other words I have so many other LED lights that putting drop ins to convert old incans is no longer needed.

I'm in exactly the same place. I don't need to upgrade anything, but it's fun and, as far as hobbies go, still cheaper than drinking.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I discovered that the NiteIze 55L LED PR bulb will run fine on a single alkaline cell even though it states it's for "2 to 6 cell flashlights". My meter says it pulls about 100mA at 1.5v. I did not attempt to determine how low the voltage can go before it quits.

The beam can be very nicely focused in a Maglite, so if you've got a 2D Maglite and a spacer, you can make a 1D light out of it.

However, in all the other lights I tried it in, the beam was terrible. Nice spill but the hotspot was all weird. Taking out the reflector resulted in a nice even beam with no hotspot, so that could work as long as your light doesn't rely on the reflector to press the bulb down against a spring.

Just food for thought.

--flatline

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I discovered that the NiteIze 55L LED PR bulb will run fine on a single alkaline cell even though it states it's for "2 to 6 cell flashlights". My meter says it pulls about 100mA at 1.5v. I did not attempt to determine how low the voltage can go before it quits.

The beam can be very nicely focused in a Maglite, so if you've got a 2D Maglite and a spacer, you can make a 1D light out of it.

However, in all the other lights I tried it in, the beam was terrible. Nice spill but the hotspot was all weird. Taking out the reflector resulted in a nice even beam with no hotspot, so that could work as long as your light doesn't rely on the reflector to press the bulb down against a spring.

Just food for thought.

--flatline

I've got a few of similar dropins that work fine off 1 battery down below 0.9v I think. I've used a bent paper clip to attach these to a D cell and they work fine.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a few of similar dropins that work fine off 1 battery down below 0.9v I think. I've used a bent paper clip to attach these to a D cell and they work fine.

I've done that and then put a paper cup over it to make a lamp when camping.

--flatline

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've done that and then put a paper cup over it to make a lamp when camping.

--flatline
I almost miss being rather poor and being unable to afford decent lights as I made a lot of cheap stuff to do the job that either nothing was out there for it or the price of stuff to do it was insane. 1D lights were the best long running solution long ago with the energizer accent lanterns. Now I look for a 1 18650 lantern on the cheap that has at least 2 levels..... 1 at about 1-5 lumens and another at about 50 lumens so you can have uber long running find it easily mode and a decent area light for long use. I see no need for a higher mode for a power outage lantern of this sort.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Please bear with me as my post might sound sarcastic. It is not.
You get 500+ lumen single AA led flashlights. I am very dissapointed that there are no 1D lights that also can achieve this feat. Why buy a light that has one setting of just 20 lumens while you allready have big flashlights that can provide in excess of 2000 lumens with the push of a button, yet can also run for days on 10 or 20 lumens? If ever a company builds a single d-cell light capable of the same lumens as my Sunwayman V10A I will be the first one to buy it. Especially if it will have the same magnetic control ring as the V10A. I will gladly pay in excess of $100 for such a light. Come on Fenix, Nitecore, Sunwayman. I just know such a light will make a killing. Especially if it can also be used with 32600 cells. Really, I will not be your only customar. I don't want to buy a cheap plastic light with a switch that can fail any minute. I want a quality multi mode or magnetic controlled 1D light!

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Was this flashlight mentioned before? This one has 100 lumens and can still run for days...
Sanford-1D-Army-Series-Torch-Light-SF2639SL-1D-BS