1D lights?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Please bear with me as my post might sound sarcastic. It is not.
You get 500+ lumen single AA led flashlights. I am very dissapointed that there are no 1D lights that also can achieve this feat. Why buy a light that has one setting of just 20 lumens while you allready have big flashlights that can provide in excess of 2000 lumens with the push of a button, yet can also run for days on 10 or 20 lumens? If ever a company builds a single d-cell light capable of the same lumens as my Sunwayman V10A I will be the first one to buy it. Especially if it will have the same magnetic control ring as the V10A. I will gladly pay in excess of $100 for such a light. Come on Fenix, Nitecore, Sunwayman. I just know such a light will make a killing. Especially if it can also be used with 32600 cells. Really, I will not be your only customar. I don't want to buy a cheap plastic light with a switch that can fail any minute. I want a quality multi mode or magnetic controlled 1D light!
The problem is the 1AA 500 lumen light uses a 14500 lithium ion battery and these cheap 1D lights usually come with heavy duty batteries and typically an alkaline D cell is almost overkill. The moment you aren't able to use 1.5v batteries in it that is the time it isn't really a 1D light. IMO a $100 lithium ion based 1D sized light isn't worth it when you can easily buy a ton of various 18650 based lights that are smaller and do the job the same for less than half the price. For a 1D light to compete with 18650 based lights it would have to be rather exceptional and IMO spending a lot for a light to get it ruined by alkaleaks isn't something folks want to do here.

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
The problem is the 1AA 500 lumen light uses a 14500 lithium ion battery and these cheap 1D lights usually come with heavy duty batteries and typically an alkaline D cell is almost overkill. The moment you aren't able to use 1.5v batteries in it that is the time it isn't really a 1D light. IMO a $100 lithium ion based 1D sized light isn't worth it when you can easily buy a ton of various 18650 based lights that are smaller and do the job the same for less than half the price. For a 1D light to compete with 18650 based lights it would have to be rather exceptional and IMO spending a lot for a light to get it ruined by alkaleaks isn't something folks want to do here.

I hear you. But, a 14500 light can still work with a normal AA NiMH, just with lower lumens. I personally would not mind having a nice big fat 8000 mah or more battery in a short fat flashlight. Even if it may only manage say 120 lumens with the NiMH. I already have a few 18650 lights and they are great, but variety is the spice of life:thumbsup:

This made me think. Will a 4XAA light not give about the same run time as a 1D NiMH light at the same lumens?

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another budget 1D contender from Ozark Trail:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?447897-Ozark-Trail-1D-LED&p=5215093#post5215093

lr5SrUy.jpg

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I hear you. But, a 14500 light can still work with a normal AA NiMH, just with lower lumens. I personally would not mind having a nice big fat 8000 mah or more battery in a short fat flashlight. Even if it may only manage say 120 lumens with the NiMH. I already have a few 18650 lights and they are great, but variety is the spice of life:thumbsup:

This made me think. Will a 4XAA light not give about the same run time as a 1D NiMH light at the same lumens?
It depends on the AA batteries used and the NiMH D cell used with most of the focus on overall capacity as better and more expensive NiMH D cell can have higher total capacity than some AA NiMH batteries.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just picked one of these up. The display box says 40 lumens but no other useful information. It is definitely brighter than the Eveready but I have no way of accurately measuring the output. I'm willing to believe 40L as claimed.

I looked at 6 lights that were in the display and found only one that didn't have obvious scratches or black stuff (glue?) on the reflector, so that's the one I brought home. The beam is functional, but not pretty. It has a decent hot spot, but several rings in the transition to spill and then 2 more rings in the spill itself. I blame the rings on the magnifying mound they put in the lens, but I don't really know that since I can't try the light without the lens to compare.

So, on one hand, I'm pleased that there is another 1D light out there. On the other hand, I think it's inferior to the Eveready 1D that we discussed earlier in this thread.

I think it'll go in the garage.

Edit: in retrospect, I was too harsh when I posted this. It's a fine light for $3 if you want a little more output than the Eveready 1D provides. It was beyond stupid for me to complain that a $3 light has ugly rings in the spill.

--flatline

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check out the Lumintop SD4A. It's a 4xAA light that will run at reduced output when loaded with 1D. I've read positive reviews of it, but have no personal experience with it.

--flatline

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Liking the retrospect comment FL.

But let's face it. It's CPF. So flaws get mentioned (if only by habit). But that also means the per-snickety type will leave them alone.... so they'll be there for the non-per-snickety CPFr's...

lightseeker2009

Enlightened
Check out the Lumintop SD4A. It's a 4xAA light that will run at reduced output when loaded with 1D. I've read positive reviews of it, but have no personal experience with it.

--flatline

This is a nice light. Only gripe I have with it is the big jump from low to mid. 37 lumens to 350 lumens leaves too much of a gap for me. If there where just one more setting of say 150 lumens between 37 and 350, this light would have made mymy shortlist.

I do own a cheapy, plastic 4AA single mode flaslight. I tested it's runtime once. It was over 55 hours. The reason why I mention this light is because it can also work with a single D-cell, though that is not mentioned on the products retail box.
I have not yet packed out all my boxes after I've moved, so I cannot confirm its model number. But here is a link, I am sure it's the same light.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/energizer-4aa-compact-led-area-light.html
It would therefore aslo work with a 32600. That should increase it's runtime dramatically I'm sure:grin2:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a nice light. Only gripe I have with it is the big jump from low to mid. 37 lumens to 350 lumens leaves too much of a gap for me. If there where just one more setting of say 150 lumens between 37 and 350, this light would have made mymy shortlist.

The reported output on 1D is 1/38/111/166/208. No big gaps, but the top 3 levels are pretty close together.

--flatline

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a pair of the rayovac 1D lights. This are really good emergency lights for keeping around esp for non flashlight people. I will cover the hole at the bottom and give it to a family member who lives in an area that has occasional power outages.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a pair of the rayovac 1D lights. This are really good emergency lights for keeping around esp for non flashlight people. I will cover the hole at the bottom and give it to a family member who lives in an area that has occasional power outages.

Where did you find them?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why I didn't try this before, but the Maglite 2D LED flashlight I bought years ago will fire up on a single cell.

I guess I've had a potential 1D flashlight for years without knowing it.

I'll get some current measurements when I find my multimeter...I know it's around somewhere...

--flatline

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't know why I didn't try this before, but the Maglite 2D LED flashlight I bought years ago will fire up on a single cell.

I guess I've had a potential 1D flashlight for years without knowing it.

I'll get some current measurements when I find my multimeter...I know it's around somewhere...

--flatline
I have several mag 2D LED drop ins that run fine off a single battery. One such drop in I've incorporated into a light that was 4 button cells converted to 1AAA and a drop in I still have hanging from a lamp by my computer I've used in power outages.
1 cell lights (cheap) are wonderful for power outages. In the past however there wasn't a lot of reasonably priced lights with low enough modes to replace these battery suckers. With a decent 18650 or 2AA etc light with a ~5 lumen or less mode the need for 1D lights is considerably a lot less. I have several 1D lanterns in the house and I never use them now as we used to get power outages often sometimes 5-7 times a year lasting from 20 minutes to several hours but since 2007 I only remember one long outage of about 4 hours and another one by the time I shut my computer down after 10 minutes the power came on after 15 minutes.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast