1D lights?

scout24

Flashaholic
I was thinking Fivemega, in the spirit of his "What's Missing" threads... A stubbier shorty Mag, either alkaline D cells, Eneloop adapters, etc. They wouldn't be cheap, but multimode, 100lm on high with three 'Loops or Energizer lithium primaries if you didn't want to run a D cell? Dang. Tailstand like a champ for ceiling bounce, runtime measured in "how many power outages since we changed those cells?" and I'd be picking out colors. :)

puglife

Newly Enlightened
It's been 3+ years since this thread died. I'm sad to say that I never picked up a Lumintop SD10 before they disappeared. It's now super easy to find cheap 1D flashlights at hardware and grocery stores, but they're so tremendously poor quality that they don't survive long enough to use up the battery that they come with.

Now that we're approaching the end of 2017, is anyone aware of any decent multi-mode flashlights that can run on a single D cell?

--flatline

Lumintop SD4A may run with 1xD >> https://www.banggood.com/Lumintop-S...HI-1000LM-14500-LED-Flashlight-p-1046678.html

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Pelican 2350 (1xAA) puts out 175 lumens on alkalines or eneloops.
175 lumens from a 52.xx mm Maglite head is pretty dawg gone bright considering. Something in the neighborhood of 40k+ candela... yeah, a 1D Maglite with an LED like the Pelican has would satisfy many-a consumer's flashlight needs with a train car load of runtime.

Scout, I fear a secret pact was made between LED makers and battery makers that around 1 hour of runtime on high output will satisfy the average person's thirst for brighter while selling more batteries and cooking LED's quicker. Speculation on my part, but history causes me to think it could be true....
A few years ago "100,000" hours was the shout. Then "50,000"... now it's "30,000" or even "10,000" in some cases.

I also noticed Maglite's newest stuff does not include batteries. Due to rechargeables taking over the battery makers are hemorraging $ and Mag's market is steadily shrinking... so I also speculate whatever pact those 2 once had has turned into "you're on your own brutha"...

Interesting. Didn't think an alkaline could put out that much current

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
A stubbier shorty Mag, either alkaline D cells, Eneloop adapters, etc. They wouldn't be cheap, but multimode, 100lm on high with three 'Loops or Energizer lithium primaries if you didn't want to run a D cell? Dang. Tailstand like a champ for ceiling bounce,
Did you mean something like this?
Or
this?
Perhaps
this?

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why are 1D flashlight only available from the the US, None of the Asia sellers have them, and the shipping from the US for 1x 1D flashlight is like £15-£17 on eBay just for shipping.

pc_light

Enlightened
Why are 1D flashlight only available from the the US, None of the Asia sellers have them, and the shipping from the US for 1x 1D flashlight is like £15-£17 on eBay just for shipping.
1D cells are rare and expensive in Asia, hence not much use/demand compared to AA as far as "stock" lights go.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
With todays improved technology 1D lights are not as needed. LEDs have come a long way since the first 1D LED lights. I've converted 4AA lights with cartridges to LED and 1D use and also have bought 1D energizer garden lanterns plus some older 1D plastic energizer lights that I bought to harvest the PR base dropins for other incan lights. Energizer has updated its 1D LED offerings several times from dropin PR base bulbs to integrated 5mm with optics to now SMD LED with designed reflectors but these are still just a step up from what I consider "disposable" lights. The fact that you can put 3-4 AAs in the size of a D cell and can use rechargeables or lithium AAs and bypass the chance of leakage ruining the light I see little need for a 1D cell light other than what Energizer is making, the engineering to make a higher quality multimode 1D sized light would be a lot better suited for better battery selections like 3/4AA, 18650 or larger even.

Last edited:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
With todays improved technology 1D lights are not as needed.

Oh, I agree with all of that, but I think some of us are coming at it from the other direction.

It's not that we want a great light, and are thinking a 1D would be a good way to provide it.

It's that we have spare 1D cells lying around, and would like to use them up.

Ideally, in a low-intensity, vampire/cockroach unit. Something that would put out 0.5 lumens for months and months on end, for instance.

Or the "Fenix D01" idea--a tough, low output light in the 10 lumen range that would last for weeks.

I, too, wish there were a light in this niche.

Actually, I would be happy with a simple cylinder that let me drop in a 1D cell. Then it has a threaded cap on the top that is pre-tapped for a Fenix E01 head.

You thread your E01 head in there, and you have your D01 just like that. Lasts about 10 times as long, which is pretty long to begin with.

I would far rather have that than going for a stubbier Maglite--I don't want the high-output, or the reflector, or the variable focus. Just a simple, reliable cockroach that will run on my left-over D-cells.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Oh, I agree with all of that, but I think some of us are coming at it from the other direction.

It's not that we want a great light, and are thinking a 1D would be a good way to provide it.

Ideally, in a low-intensity, vampire/cockroach unit. Something that would put out 0.5 lumens for months and months on end, for instance.

Or the "Fenix D01" idea--a tough, low output light in the 10 lumen range that would last for weeks.

Actually, I would be happy with a simple cylinder that let me drop in a 1D cell. Then it has a threaded cap on the top that is pre-tapped for a Fenix E01 head.

You thread your E01 head in there, and you have your D01 just like that. Lasts about 10 times as long, which is pretty long to begin with.

I would far rather have that than going for a stubbier Maglite--I don't want the high-output, or the reflector, or the variable focus. Just a simple, reliable cockroach that will run on my left-over D-cells.
My battery drainer was comprised of battery holder(s) and a variable resistor and an ammeter and maybe a boost circuit that way when the batteries puked I didn't have a damaged light to deal with.

puglife

Newly Enlightened
I've got one of these coming. I saw some older reviews that said that 1D operation stops working shortly after receiving the light, but the more recent reviews seem positive. Hopefully Lumintop has improved the boost circuit since those older reviews were written.

--flatline

I hope you will do a review :naughty:

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumintop SD10 has been a reliable 1D flashlight, I know it can take a lithium battery but I bought it to run a D cell

archimedes

Flashaholic

Yes, these have been done in various forms ... like the milky candle, or wquiles joule thief, etc

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...uple-of-LED-lights-using-Joule-Thief-circuits

scout24

Flashaholic
Well, I broke down yesterday at Home Depot and spent $2.98 on an Eveready 1D plastic light. Same size as the 2D basically, but with a giant spring and a pedestal inside for lack of a better word to stop the battery from dropping in further than intended. Plastic lens, stippled plastic reflector, the switch action is suprisingly decent. Tailstands, has anti-roll, and is very lightweight. About twice as bright as my E01, I'm going to do a runtime test on it. I'm sure it's not regulated, and it will dim over time. EVE3151 is the model number. Mine's a spiffy red one. I came close to getting the 2-pack for $5.00, but they're not flying off the shelves and I figured there may be a few left if it seems decent... :)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Well, I broke down yesterday at Home Depot and spent $2.98 on an Eveready 1D plastic light. Same size as the 2D basically, but with a giant spring and a pedestal inside for lack of a better word to stop the battery from dropping in further than intended. Plastic lens, stippled plastic reflector, the switch action is suprisingly decent. Tailstands, has anti-roll, and is very lightweight. About twice as bright as my E01, I'm going to do a runtime test on it. I'm sure it's not regulated, and it will dim over time. EVE3151 is the model number. Mine's a spiffy red one. I came close to getting the 2-pack for $5.00, but they're not flying off the shelves and I figured there may be a few left if it seems decent... :)
I have the first generation of that light with the PR base dropin and slide switch and have been somewhat tempted to get the current generation for the SMD led and boost circuit to tinker with and yes the switch is a decent one now (clicky). The PR base dropin I put in several incan lights using 2AA nimh batteries so the voltage overdrive is less and it works fine but some folks have had them go poof using 2AA. I recall that Energizer makes an actual 1D plastic light, not a converted 2D shell but the only way to buy them I found was some sort of light package with other lights maybe a 6v lantern and other D lights I can't remember.