1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
lotsalumens said:
Documentation states that the beam can cause temporary flash blindness at 3000 meters (1.87 miles). Very neat technology in both lights!
cfb

Finally, a light where there won't be any whining "you can't temporarily disable an attacker with a light" :)

Raising light to the level of a force option - 1kW at short range should cause more than just TEMPORARY disability. :D

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
Lotsalumens,
Where are all your cables? :thinking:
I finally scrounged up a mil-spec power supply.

Did you ever wire up and use the remote control for your VSS3? :poke:

I was starting to look for the connectors.

Was wondering if the remote was useful to you at all, or if you had the connectors/cable for it. :naughty:
It's the cable with the '18-1 10 pin Amphenol' conns.

Phased

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Phased Array,

Yes I got the remote working last year. Needed it to get the light fully operational. The remote lets you switch to infrared mode as well as adjust the beamwidth of the light. It also has a bunch of circuit test functions. There is also a secondary smaller remote with fewer functions (all redundant) presumably for the tank commander to use.

I gave my cable set to a good friend of mine last halloween for his light, so now I have to make myself another set (ugh...lots of soldering!). The light is currently in storage for the winter, so this spring I'll make the cables and hopefully have a bunch more beamshots by June when we are out there again. I want to get some shots showing the beam hitting a distant target. Just have to figure out where to do this I need a whole lot of open space.

CfB

liteglow

Enlightened
WOOOOOW !! dude :) that is a NICE BEAM SHOOT !!!

But... when you got to heaven, GOD will say "DAMN YOU ARE THAT DUDE THAT DID BLIND ME WHILE I WAS DRIVING MY UNICORN"

:)

And then your going stright to hell......

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
LuxLuthor said:
That looks a lot like the "Back to The Future" movie's Flux Capacitor. :crackup:

VSS3interior.jpg
http://electricmuseum.com/temp/searchlight/VSS3interior.jpg

It could work like a 'flux cpacitor'..... touch the wrong thing in there, and you're History

If it wasn't for the shipping to the UK, I'd be looking for one !

RalphRussell

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I spotted that very issue on eBay and bought it! I ran those same pages throught a copy machine and mailed them to lotsalumens. It was in B&W, now he can see Connie's outfit in color! My favorite line is "Operators and crew members don't mess with the window latch".

tonyd

Newly Enlightened
I thought I would join in the fun and get one. I also have the manual and schematics if needed. I am looking for a power source, and will likely disable the IR mode. I also have a 16" diameter SS tube which I will transfer the internal two when I get running.

tonyd

Newly Enlightened
No A vss-3. The vss-1 is way large, and not as collmiated. I will likly be solicting help in getting in running, I'am a ChemE and never been great with electrical. I do have a new bulb installed and the schematics look straight forward. As you suggested on/off is really my only concern although the motor controls for focus do look like fun to play with. One of my litigator friends thinks me insane and past along several engineer jokes. My favorite is the engineer that comes upon a taking frog. The frog states that If you kiss me I will become a beautiful Princess. The engineer says fine and sticks the frog in his pocket. The frog cries out if you kiss me I will spent a week with you. The engineer takes the frog from his pocket looks and smiles and places the frog back into his pocket. The frog cries out again I will stay with you for a week and do what ever you like. The engineer again removes the frog and tells her, Hey I don't have time for a girl friend, but a talking frog is Kool. He then returns the frog to his pocket. At any rate I owe my friend for her "wit" and as such want to get this working so I can peel Paint off her house.

Thanks

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Well you've definitely come to the right place since there are a bunch of us with these lights. ShortArc is using a modular rectifier unit to power his VSS-1, so something like that could be an option. There are some Lucent 364B2 units rated at 100 amps and 29 volts which look promising:

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sa...&sabdlo=&sabdhi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1&fcl=3&frpp=200

Might need some modifying for this use, but it could be a possibility. Haven't tried one myself. I know that the turn-on surge on my VSS-3 tends to trip the 75 amp breaker on my supply frequently, so a bit of excess current capability would be good.

cfb

Last edited:

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
These bulbs are still for sale at $300. It's a mfg. who was bought by another mfg, and once again. Used in theatre lights currently too. New in box mil surplus? maybe at some point, $75 for the AN/VSS1's.

TONYD,
Let me know if you hotwire it up successfully, I'm missing the control box and we need to shoot a lot of joules(Marx Circuit in cb) into the lamp to get those 40,000 volts.

tonyd

Newly Enlightened
Mine came with the new lamp, so I have to research where it came from. I will contact the seller. Thanks for the offers as I also do not have the control box. I was also curiuos if a simple 24 volt truck battery charger would work. Several charge at 50-60 Amps in 24 volt mode. The manual claims 58 amps max for this light although, as has been ststed it pulls more juice. How are you geater 100 volts to the ignitor?

Also I thought one thing about this light is the use of silver wire- I have cardis silver in my vacuum tube amp, but a giant flashlight? Just like a talking frog Kool.