1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

Visigothan

Newly Enlightened
I've been lurking for a while, but this tank light is just too damn cool. I had to post and say WOW. I have to get myself one of these. :D

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Last summer a bunch of these lights in varying condition (and wildly varying prices!) turned up on ebay. Haven't seen any recently but I am sure some will turn up eventually.

Mine is in storage for the winter, but when I get it out again later this year I'll take a bunch more beamshots and post them. I've got to build another set of cables as well since I gave mine to a friend who bought the same model light. Got some major soldering to do...there are a lot of pins in those connectors!

cfb

Radio

Modulated Moderator
lotsalumens said:
Last summer a bunch of these lights in varying condition (and wildly varying prices!) turned up on ebay. Haven't seen any recently but I am sure some will turn up eventually.

Mine is in storage for the winter, but when I get it out again later this year I'll take a bunch more beamshots and post them. I've got to build another set of cables as well since I gave mine to a friend who bought the same model light. Got some major soldering to do...there are a lot of pins in those connectors!

cfb

Need any help? I think you said you were on LI or upstate NY

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the offer! We live in NYC and the light is out at a shared family house near the end of LI. It actually only takes a few hours to make a cable set but it is a huge pain...not to mention expense with all the connectors costing about $500.

cfb

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account

lotsalumens

Enlightened
markdi said:
100 amps at 28 volts = more than 1kw.

Mark,

That's not the same light. The VSS-1 is MUCH bigger and heavier than the VSS-3 that I have. It also pulls close to 4kW. Interestingly the candlepower rating is the same, probably because its beam is not as tight.

Couple more photos of my VSS-3

VSS3withpanel.jpg

VSS3interior.jpg

cfb

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Looks like the main difference between the SX-16 and the VSS-3 is the beamwidth and throw since they are designed for different kinds of use. The specs for the SX-16 say the beam diameter (maximum intensity not including spill) at 1km is 230 feet and the useful range for target identification is one mile. This makes sense for chasing suspects etc and it must really light up a decent sized area. The VSS-3 has a more collimated beam and is intended for target illumination at several miles for artillery. Documentation states that the beam can cause temporary flash blindness at 3000 meters (1.87 miles). Very neat technology in both lights!

cfb

jeffroalpha700

Newly Enlightened
Awesome! And, I'm sure the VSS-3 costs a lot less.

Now I feel like I am getting a weak light when my BarnBurner arrives!