1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

That_Guy

Enlightened
Could you please post some pictures of the light next to a Thor or something so that I can get a better idea of size.

Is the ballast part of the light or is the radio supply acting as the ballast?

Any idea what the beam divergence is? From the pictures it looks like 0.0 degrees!

And what happened to that 750w aviation light of yours?

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
lotsalumens said:
P.S.

John, I noticed you are in NYC. We are too, though the light is not. No space to use it here sadly. Anyway I am glad to see the NYPD represented on CPF!

cfb

cfb,

Yes, if you travel on any of the Bronx Highways at night look for the tall officer with the brightest flashlight! I've been "converting" the other cops to better, brighter flashlights one at a time because many of them still use the old 3D maglite with a regular bulb!!!!

John

lotsalumens

Enlightened
ThatGuy,

Here are some photos I posted in a temporary directory on one of my web sites a while ago. This was several months ago just after the light arrived when I was unpacking everything. They will give you an idea of scale (that's one of my kids next to the light...he was about 18 months old at the time). They also show the interior of the light as well as the remote controls. The smaller remote is redundant and I do not have it wired up. Click on thumbnails for full images:

http://electricmuseum.com/temp/searchlight

The light and remote have all their own electronics built in, so the power supply does not need a ballast. It just needs to be able to provide about 28v at 60 amps or so.

- Beam divergence is approximately 1 to 1.5 degrees at tight focus.

- You asked about the 750w aviation lamp I was working on a while ago. I got stumped by the igniter circuit (how to keep the main supply from loading the circuit during the HV pulse...you need a huge inductor or injection transformer or something). At about the same time this light showed up. This seemed like a better project to focus on, so I gave up on the aviation lamps and sold two of them. I still have one left that I'll probably put on ebay sometime.

Charles

Jazz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lotsalumens,

Great pics. So how did you create a 110VAC to 28VDC power supply that can dish out 60A?

lotsalumens

Enlightened
I didn't build the supply, it's an ebay find. It's surplus military designed to power a big Marine Corps radio set. 28v 60amp, about 90lbs, watertight, and insanely overbuilt. Cost $225 which seemed pretty good. There is a photo of it next to the light in the first message of this thread. Just give the photos time to load.

cfb

Jazz

Newly Enlightened
I'm still thinking about getting one of these. They say the power requirements of the one they are selling is 28VDC @ 100Amp. I wonder if 24VDC would work from two car batteries. Just to test the thing.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Jazz,

My light is an AN/VSS-3 and the stated current rating is something like 58 or 60 amps. The much larger and heavier AN/VSS-1 has higher current needs. Are you sure the one you are looking at is a VSS-3? If so the seller may just have the specs wrong.

I didn't get any more beam shots last weekend unfortunately. We had a big thunderstorm on staturday night. Not sure when we will be out there again, but whenever it is I will try for some "targeted" beamshots.

cfb

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Holey freaking cow!!!! I'd love to have that light, but it would cost me a lot more than a few hundred dollars if you get my drift.........

Post some pix of your wacked out connectors. I have some that are very odd and military looking.....

Jazz

Newly Enlightened
lotsalumens said:
Jazz,

My light is an AN/VSS-3 and the stated current rating is something like 58 or 60 amps. The much larger and heavier AN/VSS-1 has higher current needs. Are you sure the one you are looking at is a VSS-3? If so the seller may just have the specs wrong.

I didn't get any more beam shots last weekend unfortunately. We had a big thunderstorm on staturday night. Not sure when we will be out there again, but whenever it is I will try for some "targeted" beamshots.

cfb

I given up on this pipe dream. Now on to putting HID projectors in my truck. Been hanging out at HIDPLANET.

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Jazz,

Well the whole thing turned into a pretty big project making the cables and getting it going. I am loaning the cables to a friend of mine down south who also bought one of these lights and wants to use it for Halloween. I considered making him a set of cables since he is not too electrical, but I just don't have time right now. As I mentioned earlier, my light is out at a shared family house, and since we don't get out there much this time of year it is pretty much packed up for winter.

The HID projectors sound like fun.

cfb

lotsalumens

Enlightened
P.S. Here is a web page with a photo showing one of these lights installed on a tank ( the light is the green canvas covered box over the main gun):

http://www.afvnews.ca/cgi-bin/web-bbs/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/59751

This shows how they were mounted on helicopters (this is a slightly earlier version of the same light...it has angled corners on top). Note the 7.62 minigun. I sure wouldn't want something like this coming after me!

http://www.foxco-2ndbn-9thmarines.com/uh1h-001_Large_Web_view.jpg

Just thought these photos were interesting since they show this type of light in its original context.

cfb

PhillyRube

Enlightened
They may have been set up in infra-red mode. The bad guys drove right into the beam. Also note the flasher on the back of one of the guys, to ID him from the air.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow awe-spiring light. i think i can use that to cook at camps :) or just burn other camps down...

your beam shots are awesome! using a nikon d100 eh?

first beamshot shutter speed was 2.5s
second and third was 3.0s
all with the the aperture size of 3.5!!

dang bright. i think i will have to work for agessssssss to get it.

Steve77

Newly Enlightened
Wow that's awsome. I wuz thinking about a X990 for my big light, but now.....:rock:

Great pics! Can't wait to see more.:goodjob: :thanks:

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm...
Today one sold on Ebay for $250... I bought it with no competing bids. Less than 150 views of the item for 10 days! I downloaded the gov't wiring diagrams and manuals beforehand to be sure I could hot wire it without the control boxes. :rock:

They're still out there.

Phased Array

lotsalumens

Enlightened
chesterqw said:
wow awe-spiring light. i think i can use that to cook at camps :) or just burn other camps down...

your beam shots are awesome! using a nikon d100 eh?

first beamshot shutter speed was 2.5s
second and third was 3.0s
all with the the aperture size of 3.5!!

dang bright. i think i will have to work for agessssssss to get it.

Yes I love my D100! I just had it set on auto for those shots, so it came up with the shutter speed and aperture on its own.

cfb

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Phased_Array said:
Hmmm...
Today one sold on Ebay for $250... I bought it with no competing bids. Less than 150 views of the item for 10 days! I downloaded the gov't wiring diagrams and manuals beforehand to be sure I could hot wire it without the control boxes. :rock:

They're still out there.

Phased Array

Nice find! Can't wait to hear when you get it working. If you need any extra parts, I have the small extra remote which I don't need as well as an extra connector that goes to the light (minus strain relief). You can PM me for info if interested. These are absolutely amazing little lights.

cfb

nc987

Enlightened
Simply awesome. When I get a place of my own i want something like that.