2.18 HDS software - anyone have this issue?

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flashlight locator flash just came on, on its own, while I was sleeping. I was able to turn it off.

When I woke up this morning, I realized that the flashlight locator may have been enabled by me. I do not know how, but it is possible.

My issues may be user error. If not, it may take me a few months to figure it out. Meanwhile I am extremely happy with my HDS light!

Here is how my Executive is programmed:

Preset A: Maximum
Preset B: Moonlight
Preset C: 40 lumens
Preset D: 100 lumens

Features:

Turn On Preset: Off
Automatic Turn Off: Off
Button Lockout: Enabled
Locator Flash: Enabled
Pseudo Momentary: Enabled
True Momentary: Enabled
Burst: Off
Menus: Off

Last edited:

d13avo

Enlightened
I have 2.18 software as my light is a Rotary Nichia 219C 2700K from the groupbuy. I have locator flash, auto off, true momentary, pseudo momentary all enabled. My light has reset itself with primary and rechargeable cells so it's not the battery. Like I said earlier mine has not done this for a while now and it sits on my bedside table so I check it most days but I know when it has reset on it's own as the locator flash will be on. I did take a short video and sent it to Henry when it was playing up so I'll try and upload it here later.

Last edited:

d13avo

Enlightened
Well with all this talk about this issue I decided to use my light tonight and was working fine but then I went to switch on the locator flash but nothing. I thought I hadn't clicked four times at first but no now I click and nothing, light not working. As this has happened a few times now I'm going to post back to Henry to be rectified.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well with all this talk about this issue I decided to use my light tonight and was working fine but then I went to switch on the locator flash but nothing. I thought I hadn't clicked four times at first but no now I click and nothing, light not working. As this has happened a few times now I'm going to post back to Henry to be rectified.

Great news! Henry identified the problem with my sw45 executive. He said it was a rare defect with the power supply and that the head of my light is being rebuilt. With any luck, mine will have paved the way for yours to have a quick repair.

He also confirmed that the problem had nothing to do with combining menu options like auto off and true momentary.

I'll add that it was a pleasant chat. Henry is an honorable fellow.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modernflame, YAY!

thanks for sharing the diagnosis Henry gave you

I look forward to the other two lights being diagnosed

Last edited:

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news! Henry identified the problem with my sw45 executive. He said it was a rare defect with the power supply and that the head of my light is being rebuilt. With any luck, mine will have paved the way for yours to have a quick repair.
Henry is an honorable fellow.

I am not concerned at all. If there is an issue with my light, and I am not sure that there is, I am 100% confident that Henry can and will fix it.

d13avo

Enlightened

He also confirmed that the problem had nothing to do with combining menu options like auto off and true momentary.

I'll add that it was a pleasant chat. Henry is an honorable fellow.

Great news, I wish I'd sent mine to him back in August when I first noticed the issue but as I'm in the UK I was hoping it was just a glitch that would go away. No problem as this is the only one I've had issues with out of the twelve I own. Will post first thing Monday, thanks all for the info.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news, I wish I'd sent mine to him back in August when I first noticed the issue but as I'm in the UK I was hoping it was just a glitch that would go away. No problem as this is the only one I've had issues with out of the twelve I own. Will post first thing Monday, thanks all for the info.

When you send it back I recommend taking photos of your light, the package, AND all your receipts. Keep everything and all evidence as when you get it back they will likely sting you for customs duties AND vat resulting in approximately a £70 charge if insured at full value. However if Henry does the norm and sends it registered they will still likely do you for $45, plus $30 something postage, which converted to £ will still cost around £20. They've got me spitting venom the amount of charges they've done me on. Never seen it this bad but I guess they are preparing for Brexit and getting all they can from whoever they can. I've paid customs TWICE on my seal now...

d13avo

Enlightened
When you send it back I recommend taking photos of your light, the package, AND all your receipts. Keep everything and all evidence as when you get it back they will likely sting you for customs duties AND vat resulting in approximately a £70 charge if insured at full value. However if Henry does the norm and sends it registered they will still likely do you for $45, plus $30 something postage, which converted to £ will still cost around £20. They've got me spitting venom the amount of charges they've done me on. Never seen it this bad but I guess they are preparing for Brexit and getting all they can from whoever they can. I've paid customs TWICE on my seal now...

Thank you for the heads up usdiver will do. Got to agree with you about it being bad lately I should of got a charge reimbursed but couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wondered waht would happen if I send an HDS backfor repair. Will the Customs issue a refund if you show them pictures and receipts?
P

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only way to figure out what is going on with the light is to contact HDS directly and let Henry diagnose the issue.
In some cases, what might look like the same issue, can turn out to be very different issues... i.e. chest pain can be stress or my ticker might be clogged up.. or perhaps it's an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato.

If there is a ghost in light, let Henry take a look at it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Listen to Hogo, Definitely send those malfunctioning lights to Henry..

Last edited:

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always wondered waht would happen if I send an HDS backfor repair. Will the Customs issue a refund if you show them pictures and receipts?
P

They will but you don't get back the handling charge. However there are slippery slopes when trying to claim back if they sting you on a repair that you've paid the customs on originally. Given that , if it's marked as a repair which mine was then there should be no other charges this is just simply abuse of power!

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
My flashlight locator flash just came on, on its own, while I was sleeping. I was able to turn it off.

This happened again last night for the third time total in about six weeks. Probably user error, but I am not sure. Last night was the third time the light has turned the locator flash, it seems, on its own. Seems to happen right before I go to bed so there might be something that I am doing in how I use the night before bedtime that is causing the locator function to turn on. I know that there is a lot of clicking as it is an Executive. I will monitor my actions more closely to see if I can repeat this occurrence.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have the software prior to this and my locator flash comes on when I do a battery swap.not always but it has done it several times.was wondering if Henry put it is as a safety feature Incase you drop your light right after an emergency battery swap.😄🤔

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's a 4 press from off right? I know there's no way I'm hitting the switch 4 times and not knowing

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is 4 click from off but if you do a battery swap and take more than 30 seconds it does a reset to detect the battery and enables the locator beacon.

Latest posts