*2016* New Fenix PD32 2016: 900 Lumens

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man I love this light! Slimmer than the 35, max output is still very high and it throws. I am experimenting with a flat top NCR18650GA and so far so good. To my eyes there is a slight output bump and for some reason that I cannot explain the light takes a LOT longer to get really warm. I of course check the voltage from time to time. As much as I wish it was thermally regulated the built in timer works great.

As for the stock switch man what a drawback. If you have no problem using it cool. A lot of us do or did. Luckily the new gen Armytek switch is perfect on the new 32. Can work the switch from any angle now instead of having to press directly down on the center and of course it still tail stands. Ive got two more current gen AT tail boots for free if anybody wants them. They are perfect for this light.

Last edited:

Octavian

Newly Enlightened
Now the question is: what should I do with the PD35 TAC...? I must have also the new PD32, this is sure, and will not take to long to buy it...I can not help myself
I like the PD35, great for camping, but the new PD32 have better throw and can be use as a candle (finally!) and is a little shorter...and it's nice...

Well...another nice flashlight in collection. The benefits of more flashlights is that the wife observe harder and harder the new acquisitions :)) Only to be black and it's easier to put together with the other flashlights (I had hard times with the Armytek Dobermann...was observed quickly by the watchful eyes... )

aestus

Newly Enlightened
Been carrying this a few days and really loving this light. Lots of power, great UI and right size for everyday carry. It's been the goto light for me now.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
am still rocking the 32 with low profile AT switch boot and flat top GA. It is short and slim enough to be a staple "bigger" EDC next to so many of my other lights..

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Low Battery Indicator. Because of the above behavior, the flashlight does not need a direct low voltage battery indicator. When the battery voltage is low or the battery doesn't have enough juice to sustain the mode, the brightness level will quickly step down to enter the next lower mode. For example, the user's favorite used mode be the High mode and after some time the light automatically steps down to enter the Med mode; the user notices it and presses the side button 1x to return to the High mode. Only few seconds later he notices that the light against steps down back to the Med mode. With this the user has an indirect indication for a battery getting low in juice. At this point the user can decide to continue using the light in Med mode. Again some time later the light would automatically step down to enter the Low mode. Clicking the side button 1x to return to the Med mode will work momentarily but, if the light after a few seconds steps down again to Low mode, then that's an indication for the battery having reached an even lower juice level. Etc. Basically it means that the highest "stable" brightness level stands in correlation to the battery juice level.
stage 1) Turbo mode can run for 3.0min => battery has a healthy juice level, between 100% and maybe 70%.
stage 2) High mode is the highest stable brightness level => battery has an okay juice level, between 70% and maybe 40%
stage 3) Med mode is the highest stable brightness level => battery has a medium juice level, between 40% and maybe 15%
stage 4) Low mode is the highest stable brightness level => battery has a critical juice level, between 15% and maybe 5%
stage 5) Moonlight mode is the highest and only stable brightness level => battery has depleted juice level, between 5% and ~0%
It is the user's choice to decide at which stage he wants to recharge the battery. I would recommend recharging the battery when the light has reached stage 3, i.e. at around 40% juice level. Of course, other lights have a more direct method to indicate battery juice level but we can't complain about this indirect method either, me thinks.
( the percentage numbers are example numbers and not measured or estimated in any way. actual numbers may differ greatly! )

Tremendo

Enlightened
So how is everybody liking the XP-L? I have a PD32UE and a regular PD35. Interested in the PD32 2016 though, seems much more efficient also.

Tremendo

Enlightened
Well, I had to buy it a day after I posted. Like everything about it but the spot is way smaller than the PD32UE and also smaller than the PD35. So it's a great thrower, Even though I was hoping for a larger spot.

Ccopelin

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if this has been answered but will this go into to strobe from off? This is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I can tell from the new catalog, they are leaving them the same. They are bringing out a PD40R which is a 26650 light using the XHP70 emitter
But it could be too early to tell, the catalog is for early 2017

I bought the PD35tac before I looked at the pd32. great light but i can't deal with the cool white on it. It has a slight blue tint which drives me crazy. I like fenix but won't be able to buy anything from them unless they offer a neutral tint, preferably hiCRI emitter

Is there any PD32/PD35 model planned for 2017 ?

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the manual, the light has to be on already. Here are the instructions direct from Fenix

*The flashlight will transfer into the High brightness level after working about 30minutes in the Turbo. Therefore, the runtime of Turbo output is an accumulated time.

Operation Instruction Light turning on/off:press the tail switch lightly to activate the flashlight momentarily. And press the switch completely to turn on the flashlight and lock it. Another complete press on it can turn it off.On/Off Operation press the tail switch gently to momentarily activate the light. Depress the tail switch completely to turn on the light and lock it. Another complete press on it can turn it off.

Mode Selecting:A single press on the side switch in the head to adjust the brightness levels from Turbo → Low output → Medium → High → circle.Depress the side switch and hold it for 1 second to enter into Strobe mode.Depress the side switch and hold it for 3 seconds to enter into SOS mode.When the flashlight is in Strobe mode or SOS mode, a single press on the side switch to return to general lighting mode.The flashlight memorizes the last output in general lighting mode. However, it does not memorize the mode, so the flashlight works in general lighting mode when it is lighted every time.

Over-heat protection: PD32 will accumulate a lot of heat when it is working in Turbo output. To avoid the influence of using experience due to the high temperature, the flashlight will automatically transfer into the high brightness level by working in Turbo output for over 30minutes. If the Turbo output is needed continually, just reset it again.

EDIT: those may be for the previous pd32's. Here's a link to the manual but still will not go into strobe/sos from off
http://www.fenixtactical.com/manuals/fenix-pd32-6-user-manual.pdf
Not sure if this has been answered but will this go into to strobe from off? This is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Re: New Fenix PD32 2016

This is a great looking light. I could see myself owning one.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
An average Joe flashlight aficionado here and for me it's the best light ever powerful and small enough to EDC.

I have an old model PD32 and both are great lights!

PD35 it's too big for EDC for me.

Enjoy

I also have had an older PD32, this PD32, and a PD35. OMG are they serious with the holster on this new PD32? Both my old PD32 and PD35 made contact with the top of my belt at pretty much the top of the light. In this new holster it meets the top of the belt with like 35% of the length of the light hanging over top of the top of belt, what were they thinking? The light is almost sideways most of the time it's on my hip it's terrible! Seriously considering wearing it upside down because it would fit a lot more like the old one (of course the velcro would be on the bottom lol).

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The holster is not supposed to be worn for belt carry. It is too cheap and weak for serious belt carry. I use my holster for throw in the bag carry.

Sunwayman sells their holsters also separately, theirs have exemplary professional serious construction and material quality. Hard to source though, possibly HKE or FT, so just saying.

Fenix holsters for their EDC series flashlights totally *uck!!! Cheap as ****!!!

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
How about that, all I've ever known then were ghetto non-belt holsters on my belt. Hell if Fenix kept them the same I may have never found out. I will either seek out a real belt holster or go even more ghetto and wear this non-belt holster upside down on my belt lol

Abdul721

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to Jose Marin's hint i was able to disassemble the tail switch and successfully do the mod. For unscrewing the retainer ring one must turn it clockwise, true, thanks again!

So i unscrewed the retainer ring and isassembled the tail switch. All the assembly needed was a spacer to bridge the tip of the plastic clicky and the stiffy rubber boot. I cut out a circle-shaped hard black piece of somewhat, chamfered its edges to give it a dome-like profile, and added it into the rubber boot. Done! All problems with the switch solved. Now the force needed to activate the light with the forward switch and until full click are only:

pd32 ~440g, 1250g

Cha!

25273636154_cea6842ffd_k.jpg

25906351295_ea01bc89e4_k.jpg

As the photo shows, my spacer has a thickness of whooping 1.40mm :eek:
Happy as i am, i do find the original Fenix rubber boot pretty plain looking. It has no logo, no label, no marking, no color. It looks as cheap as the holster. Cr***y. haha

Can i remove head from tube? Fenix pd32 2016?

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you guys know if there will be another PD32 version in future, possibly 2018 version, maybe with XHP HI led?

My unit, me realizing that the alignment is somewhat unique, entered my flashlight collection 'pelican case' a while ago. (it's not a genuine black pelican case, it was a yellow otter box tbh until all its hinges crumbled to pieces for no reason, whereupon i settled on a cheaply made functional orange case released by a geman company but made in the china; it is funny that one cannot order such 'big gun/big camera cases' from GB BG DD DX FT even though they are made in the china. maybe it's because the cases are too big for international mailing)

I would be interested in newer/more version of PD32, i prefer this compact form factor to PD35 series. But in the meantime i've switched to Klarus XT series, making frequent use of the instant strobe switch.

@nbp
thanks!! :twothumbs