*2016* New Fenix PD32 2016: 900 Lumens

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it was R5. It was an LED I got from Mouser Electronics. It was my first experience with flowing these surface mount LEDs onto their heat sink..........kind of tricky for me, but got the hang of it. After a couple of months the light started to flicker. I evidently didn't get a good solder connection. So I re-did it and haven't had any problems. Mouser doesn't list the color Bin of the LEDs, just the part number. So I asked customer service if he could actually pull it off of the reel. It's 2B........I guess that's OK. At least it's not nearly as blue as the original XP-G which had to be up around 6500k.

I'm looking forward to this new PD32 2016 model.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the first Fenix light with a side switch that I like. It will not change the flashlight market, that's for sure but they seem to have implemented some nice improvements compared to previous PD32 models including the stainless steel switch and the ability to tailstand. Considering the size it's a pretty a good thrower too. IMHO for being a 2016 upgrade, it has some welcome nice features! At first glance I would have liked a 2-lumen Eco rather than 5 lumens but compared to the 9 lumens of some of the older versions I won't complain! Actually I will: Fenix you need to release a PD31 special edition with XP-L Hi!

wolfgaze

Enlightened
I wonder, do you think a model like the LD12 would ever get an upgrade to a newer version with the stainless steel switch? In it's current incarnation it still has that rubberized button that Fenix seems to be doing away with...

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder, do you think a model like the LD12 would ever get an upgrade to a newer version with the stainless steel switch? In it's current incarnation it still has that rubberized button that Fenix seems to be doing away with...
I was wondering that earlier. Looking through the 2016 catalog and thought about how outdated the LD12 is. It seems it's due for the stainless side switch and an xpl hi

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
click on the links in the first post

Now have this new PD32 on order will have it in a week and a half from Fenix Store. Cant wait am really looking forward to this little bite sized high output light hose! The 340 lumen XP-G2 PD32 was my second fenix after the excellent TK15. I find the size of the PD32 to be near perfect for EDC. Have a fresh Keeppower 3500mah GA waiting for it

Last edited:

bbb74

Enlightened
New Fenix PD32 2016

Wondering, what is are the main selling points/differences between a PD32 2016 and a PD35 Tactical?

Outputs are pretty similar, runtimes are slightly different, UI slightly different, one is a shade smaller than the other. But they seem too similar to me? Not quite like fenix to have 2 lights so similar, so I'm thinking that I'm missing something important...

Thanks.

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Fenix PD32 2016

PD32 2016 has XP-L Hi intensity LED, while PD35 TAC has regular XP-L LED. PD32 has also more focused beam so longer beam distance, does not have Tactical mode (as PD35 TAC has) and the PD32 tailstands, while PD35 can't.

So i think the important thing you are missing is the XP-L HI LED in the new PD32 ;-)

zycker_

Newly Enlightened
The look isn't great but for the price, the runtime on turbo seems very good.

TheIntruder

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm....will the standing-capable tail cap fit the PD35? Or will that be one of the enhancements for the 2016 edition PD35?

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
I like Fenix lights. Have sold a few the last months, but overall I like them. But it seems Fenix has no more new design ideas. Just put a new led in a existing light, and whoop, we have a new light.

What?? The design of PD32 is completely new from the last model. Omg. Why would they change design right after they release a new design? Isn't that just too high-end requierment? Sure, it is similar to PD35 TAC design... but that light is just like 6 months old since release.

fenix-pd32-bile.jpg

20161417124471037.jpg

Last edited:

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Yawn nothing much new just more power,getting really boring the Fenix Brand.

What would you like to have? Flying, remote-controlled flashlight with bottle opener? :D What other companies has to offer that differs them from Fenix company in this context?

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
Probably the first Fenix light with a side switch that I like. It will not change the flashlight market, that's for sure but they seem to have implemented some nice improvements compared to previous PD32 models including the stainless steel switch and the ability to tailstand. Considering the size it's a pretty a good thrower too. IMHO for being a 2016 upgrade, it has some welcome nice features! At first glance I would have liked a 2-lumen Eco rather than 5 lumens but compared to the 9 lumens of some of the older versions I won't complain! Actually I will: Fenix you need to release a PD31 special edition with XP-L Hi!

+ 1 to that! :)

kj2

Flashaholic
What?? The design of PD32 is completely new from the last model. Omg. Why would they change design right after they release a new design? Isn't that just too high-end requierment? Sure, it is similar to PD35 TAC design... but that light is just like 6 months old since release.
So it's an PD35 TAC but with PD32 marking printed on. Like I said, to me it's nothing new. We all have our own opinions.
And even with the two pics you attached, you see the only changes are the side-switch and heatsink- anti-roll part.

Jiri

Newly Enlightened
So it's an PD35 TAC but with PD32 marking printed on. Like I said, to me it's nothing new. We all have our own opinions.
And even with the two pics you attached, you see the only changes are the side-switch and heatsink- anti-roll part.

I don't know. So many guys here crying for the tailstand... PD35 TAC does not tailstand, PD32 does tailstand. That is not a different design of the light as well? :) And I believe that old PD32 did not tailstand too.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
whichever. I like that the new version is the same dimensions as the original. Like the tail standing capability of the new one. My 2016 PD32 wont be in my hands for another couple weeks but foresee it getting a lot of use. Would love for Selfbuilt to do a review on it but hes not keen on doing reviews on lights that are just like other lights hes reviewed before. Love my TAC and its blinding output, shorter than a PD35 pocketability this new PD32 should be an ergonomic home run...we will see...

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought a PD35 Tac 2015 not too long back, and really like it. From the specs, the new PD32 is a little smaller and lighter than the PD35 Tac. That's a positive imo. My only real grip is not being able to reverse the clip. I will probably buy the new PD32 at some point this year.