*2016* ZebraLight SC63 and variants like the SC63w

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay. Personally I don't see the point of buying any of these expensive things if you only need small middling output. $20 Maglite is enough for that.

One may not need more light than some cheaper alternative, but the other perks offered by these more expensive things are still desirable: HA finish, good regulation and runtimes, beam quality, beam type, and TINT, etc..

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
One can get lots of lumen output for cheap as well. I like Zebralight because of the attention to tint quality and color rendering, the form factor, and especially the UI.

300-400 lumens isn't small or middling output either.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Okay. Personally I don't see the point of buying any of these expensive things if you only need small middling output. $20 Maglite is enough for that.

I bought a ZL H502c and I never use it above 1 lumen!!!

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
When you wake up in the middle of the night inside a tent, and it is so dark you cannot see your hand waving in front of your face, even the 0.07 lumen setting (the middle setting in the low range where I have my 62w programmed) is more than enough to see. The big plus is you still retain your night vision (that was at its maximum when you first woke up) and you will not disturb the person beside you (unless you feel the need to scan their pupils to see if they are still alive: Not recommended). 30, 1000 lumens? Hell I will pay $85 for the 0.07 and everything else that goes with this light. A new 63w in a high CRI version? Oh yea!

Last edited:

tonkem

Enlightened
All of this is true, but it is also nice to have maximum output, if that is desired as well. I carry a Sc62 CW and use both the moonlight modes at night, as well as the 100 lumen h2 modes. The 100 lumen H2 mode is almost always more than enough light for all situations. If I need more light, I grab my Zebralight S6330 or Noctigon Meteor M43 :) Never can have too many lumens, but for me, they must also come in a small package.

This is the purpose of this board, allowing us all to have valid opinions of what we value in a light. I have spent thousands of dollars on lights of all sizes, and for me, the light must be small AND powerful for me to consider. I have owned a Polarion PH40, thousand dollar Lupine lights, but Zebralight keeps me coming back, for their size and power. I hope they make the 6330 again, at 4000 lumens with the new LEDs they are putting in the 63, so I can pick another one of them up. Love the small size and power.. My $.02.

When you wake up in the middle of the night inside a tent, and it is so dark you cannot see your hand waving in front of your face, even the 0.07 lumen setting (the middle setting in the low range where I have my 62w programmed) is more than enough to see. The big plus is you still retain your night vision (that was at its maximum when you first woke up) and you will not disturb the person beside you (unless you feel the need to scan their pupils to see if they are still alive: Not recommended). 30, 1000 lumens? Hell I will pay $85 for the 0.07 and everything else that goes with this light. A new 63w in a high CRI version? Oh yea!

bodhran

Enlightened
When camping I leave mine on the .01 level all night. If I need it I'm not fumbling around in the dark trying to find it.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about this analogy: how often is your automobile engine running at near 'red line', but at the same time you do use your engine when needed at high RPM. Having the ability for high output does not necessarily mean you use it all of the time.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Flashlight manufacturers like Zebralight tend to be a little more conservative than the average flashlight modder. At 2000 lumens it would get pretty hot pretty fast. They probably don't want it to get that hot. Even if they used the 6v xhp35 they'd probably have limited output to around 1300 lumens.

High temperatures degrade the LED. Some care, some do not. Most are not even aware.

wardropc

Newly Enlightened
When camping I leave mine on the .01 level all night. If I need it I'm not fumbling around in the dark trying to find it.

That's genius, I wish I had thought of it before. I'm stealing your idea. I always have loved slow in the dark tail caps, and this is a good alternative.

waxing twilight

Newly Enlightened
a diffuse 100 lumen beam is more than enough to fully light up the world in front of me at a camp site (in the tent, 0.5 lumens). Bright flashlights completely destroy any night vision one has. In the process, we miss the benefit and enjoyment of a peaceful moment sitting at a mountain lake in complete darkness. There is just so much more than just beam intensity. For me, a diffuse, high CRI, warm 4000k light gets me out there and back repeatedly, all on one battery.

I agree, I rarely use more than ~15-45 lumens outside, and moonlight modes when that is enough light to make out what I need to see. Beam quality, type, cri and tint, UI, variety of moonlight modes, "pocketability," and runtimes are more important to me than max lumens and what I really love about ZL's. You can miss out on a lot of nature by announcing your presence.

I have had situations before where I did not have enough throw on me, ie., once on a night run, to make out a pack of skunks ahead of me, until just in time, and some extra lumens or throw would have been nice to give a little more warning/distance. I'm still not going to run with a thrower or higher lumens, but if I do catch something that may be worth early identification, having the ability if needed, is on my list now, lol. I'm just not sure what combinations of flood, throw and max output is ideal yet.

oeL

Newly Enlightened

There are several logical reasons for 1000+ lumen Zebralights - brightness, reliability, usability for example. Personally I'm using SC600w MkII for mountainbiking at night, for example. Or walking in the forest in a heavier terrain. Very very useful light, very small, and fits in the pocket "in case you might need it".

But don't forget the illogical reasons that are not less important and legitimate: Fascinating masterpiece of technique, I just like them, cos I can, I'm a flashaholic... and so I'm using a SC62w for finding the keyhole in our house door. And soon I will do the same with a SC63w. Not very reasonable, that's right... but I like it this way :)

BTW: Sometimes we do a barbecue, and sometimes when it's dark I'm starting there one of my old carbide lamps, my Petromax, or my Aladdin. Of course I could use a $5 petroleum lamp as well. But why should I? :D

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
Plus it's embarrassing to be the "flashlight guy" in a group of people and to NOT have the most powerful light (most lumens, farthest throw). Nobody cares about runtime in those conversations.

markr6

Flashaholic
You can miss out on a lot of nature by announcing your presence.

I spooked a black bear last fall; luckily he ran the other way as they almost always do. But still, I'll take all the "announcing" I can get. I'm in the habit of coughing/clearing my throat just for that reason. Or I'll yell out or talk to myself every now and then.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I spooked a black bear last fall; luckily he ran the other way as they almost always do. But still, I'll take all the "announcing" I can get. I'm in the habit of coughing/clearing my throat just for that reason. Or I'll yell out or talk to myself every now and then.

Careful, that can become a habit! LOL

shira

Newly Enlightened
That will be the light to end all lights for me! As long as the output is there, unlike the huge drop of the SC62w>SC62d.

Seems too good to be true, so I'm not expecting it to happen even though ZL is sort of working on it.

I'm thinking the same thing. But the reality of the situation is that a couple of years from now there will be a new LED that allows ZL to create a CRI-95 "SC64d" that produces 1400 lumens, with a run-time of three hours on high. I seriously doubt any of us will be able to resist.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious if the H600(w) MKIII will have a new shape too...
I don't really care what it looks like (I'll get one anyways) but I'd be cool with knurling over the ribbed look.
Even smooth is fine w me - doesn't look too bad IMHO.

Tapis

Enlightened
I'm thinking the same thing. But the reality of the situation is that a couple of years from now there will be a new LED that allows ZL to create a CRI-95 "SC64d" that produces 1400 lumens, with a run-time of three hours on high. I seriously doubt any of us will be able to resist.
That is why I'm passing on any new ZL light including this one until I see a real contester to my SC62w. Having a couple of hundred more lumens and an inflated head is not a good enough reason to get rid of an already wonderful light.