• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 2x18350 & 2x18500 FM1794

darkknightlight

Enlightened
FM, I received this light a week or two ago and it is amazing! Anyone on the fence should definitely take the plunge and purchase one. The 1794 is a phenomenal bulb. Thank you for offering these to us!

naked2

Enlightened
It's been 2 weeks but no payment received yet. :thumbsdow
Hi Varooj,
I'm going through an extreme financial hardship at this time, and as a matter of fact, was considering cancelling this order all together. But normally, you don't ship your products to me until you've received my USPS MO in the mail; this time it came in the mail two days after my post :confused:, and I hadn't had a chance to cancel by that time.

Because of that, and the fact that I can't absorb the cost of return shipping, I decided to keep it :shrug:. I apologize that it's taken until now for me to scrape together $62, so as of today, the "check's in the mail"!

By the way, It's a nice small light (with a SureFire McClicky tailcap), but nowhere as bright as I remember those famous FM 1794s being. Even though super bright incandescents are a fun novelty, they just can't measure up to my LED flashlights equipped with XM-L2 U2s.

Thanks, Tony

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a 2x18350 body as part of a larger purchase at the time of the recent sale. My guess was it'd be an inexpensive toy of little usability. Wrong. Combined with an AW softstart it has easily replaced all my other small to medium size incand lights.
- owing to its focusable bezel it can provide any kind of beam you may need without a beam shaper, from a tight spot to a pretty even flood. The "flood" from a maglite is a joke compared to this one.
- on max it is crazy bright
- at 30% brightness and "flood setting" it provides a reasonably week light for close work. Not a sublumen light to save your night vision, but quite acceptable.
- the ribbed tube is VERY efficient at removing heat. The light does get hot when operated at 100% but not terribly and cools down very fast.

The only real complaint is that the spill quality with fm1794 is subpar. But with a cl1499 it is VERY smooth.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey - I've been eyeing these lights off and on. Can you tell me how the bezel is "adjustable"? That sounds like a really cool feature as aiming the 1794 in a bi-pin drop-in can be tricky and time consuming.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Works like a minimag for lack of a better description. Twisting the head changes the location of the focal point in respect to the filament.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, thanks. So I guess you have to completely unscrew the bezel/reflector to then swap the bulb from the top? I may have to try me one of these. :)

darkknightlight

Enlightened
That's correct. The bezel, lens, and reflector are a single piece that screw away from the body, which exposes the bulb holder mounted in the body tube. It is definitely worth a shot!

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
This is a 7.4 volt bulb correct? Will two fresh cells (8.4v) not flash the bulb? Also, I know it varies, but what sort of runtime would you expect with this bulb on 2 18500s or two 18350s?

naked2

Enlightened
Run time and possiblities:
1499 with 2 IMR 18350 about 20 minutes.
1794 with 2 IMR 18350 about 14 minutes.
1499 with 2 protected 18500 about 42 minutes.
1794 with 2 protected 18500 about 28 minutes.

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
Paypal Sent for: #01 Black 2x18500 FM1794 without switch and 1 FM1794

Total: $50

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
What would be a good low powered backup bulb for this light? Maybe nothing fits the bill but it would be very versatile with an alternative that could get maybe an hour or so of runtime and still have a useful amount of light. Other than my rop and my solar force with surefire lamp this will be my first high powered incandescent. I'm pretty excited. I'm slowly being converted from led.

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
I just wish there were more regulated incans, or regulators available to install in them, available for sale. I can only imagine how incredible something like this would be with constant brightness, soft start, modes, etc. Now that the technology exists to truly harness them they are being phased out. Maybe some day I will learn to build my own drivers. I'll stop taking up thread space now. I'm excited.

naked2

Enlightened
These are the ONLY bulb/battery combinations that can be used with this flashlight:

1499 with 2 IMR 18350 about 20 minutes.
1794 with 2 IMR 18350 about 14 minutes.
1499 with 2 protected 18500 about 42 minutes.
1794 with 2 protected 18500 about 28 minutes.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
I believe the new maglite bipin bulbs have the correct filament height. I'm considering a 2x18500 body for a longer runtime option.

Edit:the bulb legs will have to be bent slightly to fit I believe.