• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 2x18350 & 2x18500 FM1794

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Maglite bulbs for 7.4V? Which ones?
6 cell for no overdrive, 5 cell for 15% overdrive and really nice white output. I use the 5 cell bulb with my auroralite kit and two protected 14500s everyday. It draws .97 amps for about 7 watts of output.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a great lead! I have had no clue that mag bulbs emerged in bi-pin form factor.

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
They are talking about the full size mag bulbs. The lights still have the same pr socket but with a bipin bulb and a plastic adapter. They will fit in a mini mag if you drill the reflector and bend the pins a little. It actually works okay but the lens will hit the bulb if you tighten the head in too far. I've been meaning to get a five cell and try it with two 14500 in a mini mag.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am right on the edge of ordering one of these. Can someone tell me if the light comes with a 1794 already installed? From the description I am getting that it does but just want to confirm.

Also - I am swaying towards the 2x18500 version. I've run a 1794 on both 2 x IMR 18350 and 2 x IMR 18500 and the bulb is significantly brighter side by side on the 18500 cells. The eFest purple IMR 18500 cells are really strong - I have them pushing a MN21 and they are every bit as strong as 2 x IMR 18650 cells and actually brighter than 2 x ICR 3400mAh 18650 cells.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
It comes with the 1794 installed in the light. Be careful with two imr18500; I've read in a couple older threads that without softstart or regulation, they have a tendency to induce really short bulb life.

naked2

Enlightened
So the new bi-pin C & D MagLight bulbs are probably G4? The socket in this light is designed to accept G2 bulbs. I wouldn't recommend using ANY bulb that required bending the pins.

The sockets in these are machined from solid pieces of metal, and therefore have a very tight tolerance. I was attempting to install a 1499 in mine, with pins that were very slightly bent from taking it in and out of another light. it got stuck, and I couldn't remove it with just my fingers. I had to use a small pair of needle-nose pliers, and ended up breaking a $9, no longer available bulb. :(

Having that said though, if anyone is on the fence about this one, I wouldn't hesitate; just buy it! With 2x IMR18350 and a SureFire clicky, it is my new favorite incan; especially after learning that the focus is adjustable by twisting the head; thanks for the heads-up, ma tumba! :thumbsup:

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
The new mag bulbs are definitely closer together than g4. I have put them in mini mags with no problems at all. They bend VERY easily. I don't see how they could ever get stuck. In fact you just push them into the socket and they bend on their own. Obviously it's not totally correct to do, but it's not like you would have to really force it in there. Maybe there is a problem with doing it that I'm not aware of.

Last edited:

darkknightlight

Enlightened
It's rated at 151 lumens at stock drive level. On two protected 14500 it looks to be at least that much OTF based on other 150 lumen lights I own.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
If someone has this light and one of those 5/6 c mag bulb please comment on the beam quality. I found it to be much better with a 1499 bulb than with a 1794 bulb, so wondering how good a mag bulb would be.

Conte

Enlightened
If someone has this light and one of those 5/6 c mag bulb please comment on the beam quality. I found it to be much better with a 1499 bulb than with a 1794 bulb, so wondering how good a mag bulb would be.

As a general rule, the smaller the filament, the tighter the beam.

I notice the CL1499 has about the same width filament as the 1794, so I would imaging the beam to be similar. At least I didn't notice much a difference.
The 1499 filament is a smaller winding tho'. Maybe that makes a difference.

I would imagine the Mag bulbs to have a very small filament, in which case they probably have a very tight beam in this light.

IN other news, I have blown both the 1499 and 1794 with AW IMR 18350's hot off the charger without a softstart. However, said charger does terminate at a slightly high voltage then normal.

Properly charged, I've run both bulbs off 18650 li-co's with no problems. Mind you, the 1499 did darken a bit.

naked2

Enlightened
I believe the 1794's beam quality is inferior to the 1499's due to the glass, not the filament; but no one should be white wall hunting with an incan anyway. At any distance past 10 feet, outdoors at night, the 1794's beam is just fine though, and noticeably brighter than the 1499.

By the way, my 1794 killed a pair of AW IMR18350s; they go dim in less than 60 seconds fresh off my new NiteCore D4. I have two pairs of generic red flat-top IMR18350s that I bought from an online vape store that are still going strong though; go figure. When the D4 reads 4.20V at finish of charge, any LiIon cells I've charged with it read 4.18 on my digital VOM with a fresh 9V battery powering it; so that's a good thing for use with hotwire incans.

Also, FM doesn't recommend running the 1794 off IMRs bigger than 18350, and no cells bigger than 18500; use other set-ups at your own risk!

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting what you say about the AW IMR18350 cells. I've noticed as well that when used with high current lights the internal resistance seems to go up pretty quickly as well and I've only charged mine with quality chargers and usually recharge at around 3.8volts. I've been trying out the newer V2 eFest purple 18350 and 18500s and have been pretty please with their performance so far. A pair of purple 18500s have been able to push a MN21 at over 5 Amps with no problems.

I've only used a SoftStart with my 1794 bulbs and IMR 18350 and 18500 cells and had no problems.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SoftStart is a special switch made by AW a few years back. It has 3 levels 30% 60% and 100% - which is pretty cool to have an incan at different levels. The best part is that it doesn't start at full current - which is where most bulbs will insta-flash. It starts off at a low current and ramps up to full current over a few seconds. This allows the filament to heat up with a limited current influx and then stabilize while the current goes up. It also helps the batteries bleed off a little voltage before the bulb is pushed at full power. It's a real bulb saver for high power incans.

The downside - it hasn't been made for about 4 years and they are all sold out everywhere. AW says he won't make any more as the market isn't there for it to make sense. You may be able to find one through a WTB or watching the MarketPlace sales threads as they pop-up from time to time.

The upside - Mattaus is working on a switch (it will be a single-level from what I know about it) that will provide soft start functionality.