2xAA Neutral White Work Light

egroeg555

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a AA, neutral white light. AA because of convenience. I plan to simply use alkaline AAs. Personally, I've never had a problem with leaking. I also prefer neutral or warm light over a cool tint. Also, I have been thinking 2xAA would be a good form factor and get me a bit more runtime. Though, I'm not necessarily opposed to a single battery light. I'd also like to have a light that has some convenient user interface rather than having to cycle through 3-4 modes.

The EagleTac D25A2 is what first caught my attention, in either the Cree XM-L2 neutral white or the Nichia 219, but I was a bit shocked when I saw a video of the user interface. Perhaps I'm a bit confused on the operation, but it looked way to easy to accidentally go into strobe modes. I have no use for a strobe, and I'd rather not ever deal with a painfully bright flashing light.

The Zebralight SC5w or SC5Fd seem like a decent options, but seem better suited for rechargeables, which I'd rather not bother with.

There are a number of Fenix lights that look promising, but from what I can tell they are all cool tints.

I could potentially forgo having it neutral tint if it has a good user interface. Please let know if you have some recommendations. Thanks!

Last edited:

egroeg555

Newly Enlightened
Oh wow, I hadn't noticed this one. This looks pretty great, and the runtimes on the 1xAA version are pretty good. So, I'd definitely consider that too. I also like that the cost is lower than some of the others.

How is the build quality (ruggedness) of the ThruNite lights?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
See my signature for my confidence in Thrunite. I have has zero issues with their lights..do a search on here and you'll find they are pretty good. I plan to buy a headlamp from them soon.

chrisbfu

Newly Enlightened
Here's my archer 1A-3V build quality of these lights are really good.
ce317a2e3b372f525f8a9da8d473180b.jpg

Last edited:

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
I had a 2c v2 that had serious connection problems where it would flicker or turn off a lot. Thrunite is about as good as most of the other Chinese flashlights.
I don't buy or use many made in China but the thrunite T10 is still my favorite 'budget' light.

egroeg555

Newly Enlightened
I had a 2c v2 that had serious connection problems where it would flicker or turn off a lot. Thrunite is about as good as most of the other Chinese flashlights.
I don't buy or use many made in China but the thrunite T10 is still my favorite 'budget' light.

Well, I'm not opposed to paying for more expensive brands if they if the features I'm looking for. It seems like the archer series is just what I'm looking for.

I just ordered a archer 1A V3 today. Hopefully it works out. Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D25A2 is a great light and strobe really isn't an issue. I have two of them and they are my favorite light. I honestly never get close to accidentally going into strobe. I have mine set to were it doesn't memorize the last mode used so it always starts in the lowest mode and then it's just a couple quick caps of the switch to get a higher mode. It really is a simple light to use, very reliable, and the runtimes a great.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a real convert to the D25 series and I prefer them to Fenix.The strobe function never causes me an issue and I fully endorse Tac Gunners findings.

egroeg555

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback about the D25 series. I do see the advantage to have it always come on in the lowest mode and then step it up to the level you want. I'll keep it in mind.

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
check out the HDS rotary sometime, it can be custom ordered with a 2x AA tube and high CRI neutral white emmiter.
Also check out Peak El captain they can be ordered with a warm white LED and the brightness can be varied. I have one that puts out ~8 lumens for more than 36 hours.

I hope the thrunite works out for you, I didn't like the 1 way side button because it takes to long to switch modes often. At the very least if something goes wrong in my experence thrunite will be helpful with replacing it.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look into the Lumintop IYP365 with a nicha. I have one on order you can get them cheap with a group buy

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a work light I have used a Malkoff M31NLL dropin in Solarforce L2r host. I have another M31NLL in a Surefire G3. 60-70lm regulated for ~6hours with alkalines. Can also be used in a Malkoff MD3 host.