2xAA Round-up Review: Fenix, Nitecore, Olight, ITP, Eagletac, Jetbeam, Mag ...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks again for the support everyone! :thanks:
Any plans to test the T25 on alkalines?
I think you need a T25-T to add to this roundup. :)
Ha, you must have been reading my mind! Right after posting the review, I started a run of the T25 on alkalines. Results are in, so I've just added it to the graph (hit your browser reload if it doesn't show up).

Performance is good, but I too am curious about how the T25-T would perform ... :whistle:

Your roundup reviews are the best reviews ever. Directly comparing a bunch of lights in the same class is much more informative than individual reviews. Those comparitive output/runtime graphs are the most useful data in any review. I was a huge fan of FlashlightReviews and your comparison reviews are the only ones that top his. Bravo.
Thanks for that. I have the greatest respect for what Doug created with flashlightreviews. :bow: It remains the standard for flashlight reviews, IMO.

It has never been my intention to replace or recreate his work - in fact, I never planned to create detailed individual reviews in the first place. :eek: The lack of flashlightreviews (and the requests of others ;)) has goaded me into producing more detailed reviews, but my main goal has always been to supply quantitative comparative data between lights, as an aid to let users make up their own minds.

That's why I like doing these Round-up Reviews - these really reflect the spirit of what I'm striving for here (although they are a boat-load of work to compile!). Individual reviews can have the unintended consequence of serving as a sales medium for some lights (or a sales inhibitor in some cases :whistle:). But it's hard to argue with runtime data or beamshots all taken under exactly the same conditions, so I think these round-ups are really my most useful contribution.

Let the user decide what works best for them! Case in point ...
Based on your review I think I've found the perfect AA light for my daughter :cool:
:grin2:

frosty

Enlightened
I came to CPF via Doug's site and missed it when it he stopped it. I am sure many people arrived here in a similar fashion.

HitecDrftr

Newly Enlightened
Very nice work sir! :twothumbs

Would love to see more outdoor animated gif comparisons, especially at longer ranges.

-Hitec-

DragonFlame

Newly Enlightened
This is an awesome review and I found it extremely useful to be able to clearly see how the new neutral tint LEDs compare to the cold-white ones outdoors. :clap:
I feel honored to be a member of a community with such dedicated members.
Thanks selfbuilt !

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
This is an awesome review and I found it extremely useful to be able to clearly see how the new neutral tint LEDs compare to the cold-white ones outdoors. :clap:
FYI, if it helps any, here is the control reference shot for actual daylight:

D10Daylight.jpg

TK20.gif

There are obvious limitations here (e.g. the daylight white balance of my camera might be different from some, just a single exposure is shown, etc.), but I have to say the animated gif does a fairly good job of showing how things looked to my eye.
:)

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt,

Once again you set the standard for flashlight reviews! I'm glad I went with the Nitecore as it has the lowest low of the bunch by a good margin.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review.
Would be interesting to see runtimes on L91 Lithiums... I assume they all are capable of running on Lithiums.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I think you need a T25-T to add to this roundup. :)
FYI, Matt has agreed to send me a T25-T to add to the review. Will update when it arrives. :)

I'm glad I went with the Nitecore as it has the lowest low of the bunch by a good margin.
Yeah - I did a low mode alkaline run, and got just over 10 days on the D20 at its lowest setting. :faint: Of course, there's bound to be a lot runtime variability, but that is certainly impressive!

Would be interesting to see runtimes on L91 Lithiums... I assume they all are capable of running on Lithiums.
It would ... except my battery fund can't quite swing 20+ L91s at the moment. :rolleyes:

Based on my experience with 1AA lights, L91 typically provides ~50-70% greater runtime over Sanyo eneloop, although with a slightly less regulated pattern. Relative output differences tend to be maintained (although I've found Nitecores tend to drop a little in relative output).

You can see some detailed 1AA runtimes for various lights on L91 in my latest 1AA light review, the ITP C7.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review. Incredible list of contenders. :faint:

I think there will be an huge number of CPF members and non-member lurkers benefitting from this comparison. :popcorn:

I have owned a few of these 2AA lights, but the only ones I have kept are the Nitecore D20 and Fenix TK20. I have the bases covered with just these two lights, the rest have been sold on CPFM. ;)

I might own the EagleTac P10A2 or Fenix L2D, but I already have a similar light in a CR123 configuration.

I also have an Ultrafire WF-606A, which is a good light, but it's only single stage, and is not waterproof due to an undersized lens. It's an around-the-house light I leave for the wife to use. :nana:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thank you, Matt! :twothumbs This will benefit us all.
Indeed, a very generous contribution to my battery fund - thanks Matt. I will put these toward runtimes of the 2AA listed here (on max, to compare to alkaline and NiMH).

Might take a few days (!) to get through them all, though ... :whistle:

I have owned a few of these 2AA lights, but the only ones I have kept are the Nitecore D20 and Fenix TK20. I have the bases covered with just these two lights, the rest have been sold on CPFM. ;)
Interesting choices - the light that can go the lowest, and the light that throws the furthest. Sounds like you have the bases covered ;)

Personally, I can't see myself without at least one Fenix L2D/L2T in my collection. Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but my first real LED light (aside from a few cheap multi-5mm clones - cheap in quality, not price that is) was the original Fenix L2T (lux III). Something about the minimalist interface and body plan just appeals to me. :D

LG&M

Enlightened
Selfbuilt thank you very much as usual good job. We have a lot of great light to pick from & I still don't know which one I want. I would like to see the Kingpower K2 in there.( Like you don't have enough going on).
Matt you are such a enabler. Thank you for that.

NightTime

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Matt and selfbuilt!! I'm disturbed about this Olight T25 Tactical test. Keep on the good work!! :twothumbs