#3 FOURSEVENS - New Preons P1 and P2!

puinsai

Enlightened
4sevens, I'm sold on your new offering!
Any chance you will have a Ti offering? I love my Ti P1!!!
8de42c352790b911dad4350588b8c9ad_zpsqgw2t370.jpg

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some updates....

Here is a photo of both bodies next to each other to see texture:

52907E18-15E4-46D8-93EB-FE68DDBD7985.jpg

Here is a photo of an old 219b P2 (right) standing next to the new P2 (left):

97F87649-0E48-4703-83D9-5CAAE4E97D76.jpg

Both have batteries in the tube. You can see that while they are very, very close to the same length, they are a couple of millimeters different in height.

So, if the height is different, is anything else different? Yep. The width is different as well (old head on the right, new head on the left):

ADF8E782-4E5B-4CB0-8F38-972589643306.jpg

Naturally, because I was curious about the compatibility issue with the old vs the new P2, I posted this question back before I ordered:

Will the now "old" Preon heads screw on to the new body?

The answer:

Reid said:
We have answered this on Facebook. Yes, the old head will fit on the new body! The older body parts however are not compatible.

Thanks
Reid

To Reid's credit, he answered my question as I asked it. However, while the old 219b head will screw onto the new body, it is neither the same size, nor does it screw on all the way.

New head/old body on left, Old head, new body on right:

79388D11-10F8-4845-95BB-03C7A5B55BD8.jpg

New head/old body close up:

F56A1639-DAEF-491A-A951-8B5896C30589.jpg

Old head/new body close up:

B0B332C4-1503-4BBE-97D1-95C3D61C4B51.jpg

Here are both heads next to each other:

052DBCF0-CFF4-4B18-8A9A-5813EAF1C1A0.jpg

As well as the new pushbutton tailcap:

BEC50CC6-CA19-4155-B0D4-D12F4DD00F75.jpg

I post this info not as a negative, but rather strictly as information so somebody doesn't purchase the new bodied P2 thinking the old head will fit on it correctly in all facets.

One further observation, when I placed the old head on the new body, the high pitched whine completely disappeared; new head/new body = very noticeable whine, whereas old head/new body = no discernible whine at all.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey David -

I just placed my order for that cool looking ice-blue Preon 1!
Now, please start plans for some titanium LOL! Cheers !
We will definitely consider. At the right now. If you want to help it happen you can indirectly do that by purchasing the aluminum one and telling others about it. After enough sell we'll consider it. :)

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Interesting about the noise mentioned by wacbzz. I've had my Preon 2 for about a week now, and have used it plenty (I just changed the original batteries out today). I never noticed any whining from it. I did just stick it in my ear while it was on to see if I could hear anything, and could faintly hear a dull whining at the emitter end. The heat it produced was pretty impressive though, I must say.

Are there any reviews out for this new Preon P2? So far, I am very impressed with it. The only cons I have come across so far is that the grooves tend to accumulate grit in them if you work in a gritty work environment (outside in dirt/grease from tools type of environment), and the tailcap occasionally gets stuck when pushed down, either when turning the light on, or off. I have a picture, but can't seem to figure out how to post them on here. I couldn't really tell how it was happening at first, but I can do it every time now, if I try. If, when pushed down, the cap is pushed to any side, it will stick. This happens to me a handful of times a day when pulling it out of my pocket to quickly illuminate something. It does get a little frustrating sometimes.

The beam itself has a very large hot spot compared to most of my other lights, lending it to be more floody than throwy, but as powerful as it is, it still seems to throw a good distance. For my typical use as an inspection light, for me this is a positive.

Having 5 different mode configurations to program the light to is something I haven't seen on any other lights, but is awesome, and makes it unnecessary to have unwanted modes such as strobe/beacon/sos when using it for simple tasks, but they are available if you ever need them by simply changing the configuration. Figuring out how to change the configuration was a little tricky, and the manual wasn't as helpful as the video where David showed how to do it as he was announcing the new Preons. Once I saw the video (FOURSEVENS Launch 3 of 5, just after 8:45 into the video), I was able to figure it out without much difficulty.

I guess this turned into something of a review of my own. Hopefully that helps. Questions/comments are welcome.

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
As for tint, I am no expert or authority on that, as I'm pretty new to this. Side by side next to my ZL SC5w, it looks slightly greenish. As for colour rendering, it is hard to tell a difference between the two for me. If I had to pick which I thought was better based on walking around in the dark shining each at different objects, I would give a slight nod to the SC5w, but the colour rendering is great for both from what I can see. I'm not sure what the CRI is for the SC5w.

Can pictures be attached on here? How do I go about adding a picture? I figure adding a picture of the beams, even with a phone camera, would assist in showing the tint. Are there certain things commonly used to show how well the colour rendering is? Pardon my inexperience.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow a penlight like those new Preons look so much more appealing to me than how penlights were several years ago. I love my Fenix LD05 penlight, but it and the Preons that were around when it came out have smooth bodies that are so slippery. That thing looks so grippy.

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
The grip is great. It definitely won't slip out of your hand. Would probably even grip well with light gloves on.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can pictures be attached on here? How do I go about adding a picture? I figure adding a picture of the beams, even with a phone camera, would assist in showing the tint. Are there certain things commonly used to show how well the colour rendering is? Pardon my inexperience.

Posting a picture
  1. Resize image so largest dimension is 800 pixels or less.
  2. Upload picture to an image hosting site such as postimage.org.
  3. Copy the direct link from the image hosting site.
  4. At CPF, click "Go Advanced" in the message editor.
  5. Click the "Insert Image" icon, and paste the direct link you copied before.

Beam Shots
  1. Set manual white balance to daylight (or 5000K if you are using numbers).
  2. Set exposure manually. Use same setting for both pictures.
  3. Shoot a colorful picture. A surprisingly good subject might be the cans of food in your pantry! Be sure to include reds, browns, and cyans (blue-green), along with yellow, green, and blue. Typically, it is the former group of colors that causes problems with a low-CRI light source.
  4. Post the camera settings along with your image.

Otherwise, just shoot the darn picture using whatever settings your camera forces on you!

Last edited:

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, KeepingItLight! No beamshots yet. Those criteria are a little intimidating.

20151204_140115.jpg

Here's a picture of the button stuck down.

20151210_024214.jpg

The P2 along with most of my other 2xAAA lights. Very slim.

20151210_022130.jpg

And the P2 with my growing 4Sevens collection.