#3 FOURSEVENS - New Preons P1 and P2!

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting about the noise mentioned by wacbzz. I've had my Preon 2 for about a week now, and have used it plenty (I just changed the original batteries out today). I never noticed any whining from it. I did just stick it in my ear while it was on to see if I could hear anything, and could faintly hear a dull whining at the emitter end. The heat it produced was pretty impressive though, I must say.

It was my six year old daughter that first noticed the noise. Before I took the photos, I took the light out of the package and gave it to her (she has one of the 219's and my wife has the other for work). Not ten minutes after she had it, she came back to me and said "Here. It's making a noise." Sure enough, it does on both high and low. Some folks are really sensitive to PWM but I am attuned to the (not so) subtle noises.

I really like the new design of P2 though. I find it to feel much better in the hand. Now, I'm just hoping Craig orders some of these with the 219 in it. :sssh:

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if yours is louder than mine is. I'm definitely not hard of hearing, although maybe the higher pitch whining maybe I have worse ears for somehow. Listening again, it does seem a little louder now than the last time I listened. The low mode makes a higher pitched noise than the high mode, and those are the only two I use for the time being. Once I take the light more than 6-8 inches away from my ear, I can no longer hear anything in the silence of my room. I have used the light at work for about 4 or 5 hours already on both high and low, and never noticed it, or had anyone I was working with notice it either.

I do have a few lights that have a much louder whine, which tends to keep them out of my daily carrying rotation, but those lights I can noticeably hear if my arm is fully extended away from me.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
The Preon is one of my favorite EDC lights. :) A few questions.

1. Why the horizontal grooves? Wouldn't vertical grooves like on the iTP/Olight 1XAAA twisty make for much better traction if twisting the bezel?

2. Is there still PWM not that I can see it on my Preon or 2 Mini lights.

Thanks.

Wonder if anyone knows the answers. I am mobile so despite looking for any response might have missed it. These little screens are a pain at times.

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
There is PWM, it hasn't been noticeable to me, but I'm not very sensitive to it. For me, the horizontal grooves are great for grip while using the light, as it would tend to slip out of a hand towards the front or rear. The grooves on the tailcap also make it perfect to grip as you pull it out of a pocket. As for the head, I don't use it as a twisty to turn on and off, but there is no difficulty in gripping and loosening/tightening it if you wanted to change modes that way.

Woods Walker

I remember reading that there is pwm.

That would be a bit of a bummer given all the current controlled options available. Still despite being sensitive to it I can't see the pwm in my minis or P1 so it's not a show stopper if it's the same frequency. I do hate lights that make sounds aka buzzing or whatever as can hear them load and clear and others saying its hardly noticeable means it will be very noticeable to me or at least that's been the case every time.

Woods Walker

There is PWM, it hasn't been noticeable to me, but I'm not very sensitive to it. For me, the horizontal grooves are great for grip while using the light, as it would tend to slip out of a hand towards the front or rear. The grooves on the tailcap also make it perfect to grip as you pull it out of a pocket. As for the head, I don't use it as a twisty to turn on and off, but there is no difficulty in gripping and loosening/tightening it if you wanted to change modes that way.

Thanks. The total smooth surface of the P1 was really my only issue with it. Still in my EDC inventory as other pros compensate for that.

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
The only place I'm seeing PWM listed is on the product page at foursevens under the "features" tab, but it doesn't give any additional info. I thought I recalled seeing it elsewhere, but that may have been selfbuilt's review of the original Preons.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not seeing any sticky buttons. If it is then something is up or there a deliberate attempt to jam it. The metal button is indeed a metal cylinder moving up and down. Excess angle and force will jam it. I'm playing with a few here and I find no issues if you push down on the button rather force one of the edges. If someone has a problem contact [email protected] rather than post here.

PWM was deliberately chose to keep the driver as compact as possible. A boost circuit would definitely make the preon head bigger if not fatter. The pwm rate was chose as the best compromise between noticeability and efficiency. Too low and it's noticeable. Too high and you're taking an efficiency hit. This new preon really is the a progression of refinements over almost a decade.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the response. Black Preon 1 ordered. My first Foursevens light!

I'm not seeing any sticky buttons. If it is then something is up or there a deliberate attempt to jam it. The metal button is indeed a metal cylinder moving up and down. Excess angle and force will jam it. I'm playing with a few here and I find no issues if you push down on the button rather force one of the edges. If someone has a problem contact [email protected] rather than post here.

PWM was deliberately chose to keep the driver as compact as possible. A boost circuit would definitely make the preon head bigger if not fatter. The pwm rate was chose as the best compromise between noticeability and efficiency. Too low and it's noticeable. Too high and you're taking an efficiency hit. This new preon really is the a progression of refinements over almost a decade.

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened

In my case, it must just be excessive angle due to bad thumb placement when turning on and off, or if my thumb moves to any side when the button is depressed. Over the course of a typical work day, I use the light 100+ times, and it happens a handful of times, definitely not intentionally.

Sorry if this is not the place for the posting. I don't have a problem with it, and I don't believe it's a defect of any kind. It was more of a critical observation.

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the axial micro cuts that David's team grooved into the light. For those that also like custom machined pens, it will remind one of the grooves on the Tactile Turn pens. Are there other flashlights that have done the axial micro cuts before?
fcfffd84a7a3b149b0b38079cfcb30e4.jpg

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the axial micro cuts that David's team grooved into the light. For those that also like custom machined pens, it will remind one of the grooves on the Tactile Turn pens. Are there other flashlights that have done the axial micro cuts before?
fcfffd84a7a3b149b0b38079cfcb30e4.jpg

We've had axial cuts before and I'm sure others have but never with so extensively throughout the entire light :)

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The axial micro cuts are very cool!
In my humble opinion , you knocked this one out of the park. Having owned the first generation Preon 1 , I can say that this is definitely a better version all around.
Now please make some Titanium versions lol!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
The axial micro cuts are very cool!
In my humble opinion , you knocked this one out of the park. Having owned the first generation Preon 1 , I can say that this is definitely a better version all around.
Now please make some Titanium versions lol!

thanks!

we'll talk ti in 2016 :p

David -

I love my titanium Preon 1. I do believe that you will have a ready market for all things titanium, especially here on CPF. Please do reconsider doing a run on a titanium version.

We will definitely consider. At the right now. If you want to help it happen you can indirectly do that by purchasing the aluminum one and telling others about it. After enough sell we'll consider it. :)

Help pave the way for titanium P 1&2's by purchasing the current offerings. :twothumbs

~ Chance