332 Lumen AA Maglite

Frijid

Enlightened
Wow, thanks for the link. I think I may owe the light an apology lol. I still loved the solitare led, XL50 and the D cell lights. I carried the same incan mini mag from about 8th grade up til about 4 years past graduation. I was excited to discover the led mini mag. That 98 lumens was awesome at the time and was a familiar feel. But as I said after several failures, I felt betrayed, like a good friend turning on me lol. The problem I had with the originals was after a couple years, the light would dim down low. Even lower than it would on low. It would work ok when kept horizontal but if you aimed it up, and especially down, it would dim. After spring changes and even stretching the spring didn't work. Even disassembly the "module" and cleaning and stretching the metal tab where the positive end of the battery touched it didn't fix anything. Sometimes you would twist the head, and the light wouldn't even come on. So as soon as I saw the 272 lumen one slightly dim, I thought I was in the same boat, But I never once thought it was regulated to do that or it was the sag from the battery voltage to blame.

I kept the light, and will try it again when I get a chance. I've always saw those rayovac fusions but never bought them. I did buy a lot of the blue "high energy" batteries for back up.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops (or eneloop rebrands) and/or Energizer ultimate lithiums are the way to go for AA's IMHO - no real worrys with leaks (I have had rayovacs leak, just like every other alkaline I have used). Alakalines once they have been used a bit may not have the power to run at full brightness, so you may notice that they are dimmer even though they are not dead. Eneloops are capable of putting out full power until they are just about dead - PLUS they are rechargeable.

Frijid

Enlightened
According to that link, the runtime is the same with alkalines and nimh, and AA lithium just got an extra 15 minutes. The nimh did keep a slightly brighter output. Must be from the IR.

I've used the blue ones from back when they changed the name of that line to "high energy" from "ready power." I've only had 1 leak, and it was a very dry leak. It didn't require any cleanup, and I'm still using the same device, with no corrosion.

Frijid

Enlightened
So I pulled that 272 lumen mini mag out and gave it another go. I tried both Japanese made alkalines and the rayovac fusions. As before, when first turned on it was really bright, then after a few minutes it dimmed down slightly. Still light years brighter than the 98 lumen ones I had. I also compared it to my 200 lumen XL50 and the mini mag was just as bright, if not a hair brighter. I even went around for a walk for 30 minutes and it was still good. I'm gonna try with eneloops, but I'm convinced there's nothing wrong with it, other than overruling emotions from my previous experience with it.

I visited my local Wal-Mart today and only saw the 272 lumen ones. I'm heading to the nearest Lowe's tommorow (about 40 miles away) and I'm gonna check all the Wal-Mart's along the way, even the home depot and then the Lowe's when I get there to see what they have.

Frijid

Enlightened
So Lowe's and home depot was a bust, but the Wal-Mart by it had the new ones. I guess they've just never trickled their way down to the back woods Wal-Mart by my house. They had the 272 lumen ones pushed in the back and the new ones up front. I wanted black, but all they had was silver.

Like the OP, mine had a label over the 272 specs. The date on the old one was in 2016, but the date on the new specs card was 7/2018. I can't wait til tonight to try it out.

Frijid

Enlightened
Well unfortunately I didn't get to go outside to try it due to horrible raining, but I did get to try it indoors. First off, the led looks the same on both. Even right down to the "016" printed beside the led. I would take pictures, but my cell phone doesn't do good photos. After all, I like flashlights, not cameras lmao. So if you want to see the led on the 332, just look at the led on a 272. The tint was more blueish on the 33w while the 272 was more white. I tried both with fresh batteries, and while I may change my mind when I use it outdoors, but I didn't really see much dufference in brightness to be honest. Like I say, I'll try outdoors when I can but indoors and even in the candle mode, I didn't see too much of a difference.

Two things I did notice. The twisting motion of the head felt jerky on the 332, whereas it felt fluid and smooth on the 272. The 272 felt like quality, while the 332 just felt "cheap" in my opinion. I even closed my eyes and switched them around continuously for 10 seconds and grabbed one at random and I instantly knew which one I had by feeling the movement of the head while turning it on and off

The second thing I noticed was that maybe the 332 is regulated different. I took some worn down alkalines (20% on my zts meter) and put them in the 272, and it just came on to full brightness, although dimmed slightly due to being worn. I put the same batteries in the 332 and turned it on, and it was dim, then in a very split second it got brighter. I turned it off and repeated it, and the same thing. It does it so fast, you have to watch it closely or you'll miss it. Maybe some kind of regulation? I put the new batteries in the 272 and the worn batteries in the 332. They appeared to be about neck and neck. The 272 MIGHT have squeaked by as being a hair brighter. I then switched and put the new in the 332 and the old in the 272, and the 332 blew it away.

I guess the only thing left to do is outdoor tests and maybe a runtime test. And while doing that, watching to see how they dim as the batteries get worn.

Last edited:

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
Sadly I just lost my silver AA Pro after having it as my go to flashlight for 3 years. And I had come across the 332 lumen on Ebay during my search. First time I have seen that. I really like the very white color of my Pro. If I recall, it was almost exactly like afternoon sun. I don't like blueish tints so after what was said above I think I am just going to order the 272 so it will be the same old. I don't like change and certainly not for the worse it's bad enough computer programs, apps and websites do that. Since I use my Maglites for work I ONLY get silver as I learned years ago the colors and black ones turn partly silver after use :grin2:

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
Looks like the Pro Plus was bumped up to 351 lumens.

I confirmed with Maglite, there is a Pro+ 351 lumen out. They said to "look at their website" for the latest specs.. they have the Pro+ listing @ 245 lumen not even the more recent 281 let alone the 351. The lumen ratings on low setting on multi modes are way too low although they never specify them. The battery life is 10x longer, so you can assume the lumen are about 10x less. IMO, it should be not more than 2-3X because such little amount of light is relatively useless.

Frijid

Enlightened
After multiple nights of playing with both lights, I can't really see, other than the color, much difference in light output. The only thing I can say is that the 331 stays brighter overall when the batteries start getting worn out, but with brand new, I'm struggling to see a major improvement in lumens or distance really.

Regardless, its a good bright light for the price. I still can't get over how cheap it feels when twisting the head. I think that's the thing that's bugged me the most.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Strangely enough, when Maglite put LED's in minimags not a single one made it to my home. During the incan heyday the minimag was such a bonafide game changer making decent output (at that era) possible in a much smaller package than the classic Maglite. I must have 25 incan minimags.

Even more strange is I now find the double A too big and navigate to the mini-minimag the triple A version. And yet I also have a slew of the giant minimag, the ML25.

One thing I have also noted is the lack of lube on the threads these days from the package. That might contribute to that 'cheap' feel you cite Frijid.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I confirmed with Maglite, there is a Pro+ 351 lumen out. They said to "look at their website" for the latest specs.. they have the Pro+ listing @ 245 lumen not even the more recent 281 let alone the 351. The lumen ratings on low setting on multi modes are way too low although they never specify them. The battery life is 10x longer, so you can assume the lumen are about 10x less. IMO, it should be not more than 2-3X because such little amount of light is relatively useless.

So if the light is putting out 351 lumens, and low mode is 10% of that, low mode would be about 35 lumens. You're saying that much light is relatively useless? I would say that much light is overkill for many situations, and to me that's more like a medium mode. That's more light then the incandescent 2D MagLite puts out.
Everyone is different.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My local Home Depot has the 272 model Pro at $25. Comes with a sheeth like the incan used to.

I opted for the 100 lumen triple A version that came with Rayovacs. That's the battery brand I was going to use anyway and now the triple is marked down to $12 (versus 15).

Frijid

Enlightened
One thing I have also noted is the lack of lube on the threads these days from the package. That might contribute to that 'cheap' feel you cite Frijid.

Could be right. I'll lube it up tonight and try again. They must be using less from the factory. I can understand if it sat on a shelf for 10 years, but these lights shouldn't be more than months old, so yeah, they may be shipping them dryer.

So if the light is putting out 351 lumens, and low mode is 10% of that, low mode would be about 35 lumens. You're saying that much light is relatively useless? I would say that much light is overkill for many situations, and to me that's more like a medium mode. That's more light then the incandescent 2D MagLite puts out.
Everyone is different.

I actually like it when a light offers a low mode. 351 lumens is good for a distance, but way to bright to read something up close, also to mention its a waste of battery life if not needed.

Frijid

Enlightened
My local Home Depot has the 272 model Pro at $25. Comes with a sheeth like the incan used to.

I opted for the 100 lumen triple A version that came with Rayovacs. That's the battery brand I was going to use anyway and now the triple is marked down to $12 (versus 15).

Lol they change the batteries included all the time now. It was duracells when I first got hooked on mags, then I've noticed it was energizers and now rayovac for some. Of course energizer owns Rayovac now, so...

I've got a 2xAAA led mini mag. I've never really used it much. I honestly don't have the slightest idea much about it, if its single mode or multi. That's how little and how long ago it's been since I've used it lol. Mine didn't come with a holster, it came with a pocket clip. I'm not really a big fan of pocket carrying twist on/off lights, be it with a clip or loose in a pocket, except for the solitare LED.

menowantsmellyfish

Newly Enlightened
Could be right. I'll lube it up tonight and try again. They must be using less from the factory. I can understand if it sat on a shelf for 10 years, but these lights shouldn't be more than months old, so yeah, they may be shipping them dryer.

You would think after decades of manufacturing they would know how to lube up flashlight threads. It's hard to believe that is the issue. Yeah, go ahead and throw some silicone grease on that bad boy and check the results.

I actually like it when a light offers a low mode. 351 lumens is good for a distance, but way to bright to read something up close, also to mention its a waste of battery life if not needed.

I agree that a low mode is nice to have. My 77 lumen multi-mode has that but the light output on low is too little. That's why I am thinking that the new 351 Pro+ would be something I like. I look at it more as a battery saver than having to read something up close. But after your comments, I went for the 271 pro to replace my lost 271 and now you confirm the 332 not being brighter. Since I use eneloops which put out steady power don't think it would have made any difference.

Frijid

Enlightened
I always carry two lights, and a rule of mine is that at least one (it's nice if both would) must have a low that will make it a whole night on the batteries.

Others eyes may vary, but yeah like I say, the difference wasn't that big. Only good thing I can say about it was that it was brighter than the 272 when the batteries were low on juice. Other than not having a black one, but that's a personal gripe lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I wonder if the 300+ uses a heat transfer similar to the 1000 lumen MagCharger, which would allow it to stay brighter longer due to lack of heat build up causing the LED to dim.

Or perhaps added efficiency to the LED allows it to remain brighter with less voltage? Perhaps it's better regulated?

Maglite invents a lot of things not noticed by the typical consumer.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even more strange is I now find the double A too big and navigate to the mini-minimag the triple A version. And yet I also have a slew of the giant minimag, the ML25.

I feel the same about the newer LED AA Mini Mags, the AAA LED Mini Mag is more than bright enough with a very good beam pattern and decent battery life on Eneloops with a much smaller size/weight. And the bigger ML25's are just outstanding if you don't mind a little extra bulk - great beam patterns,lots of throw, decent tints, very good runtime on the 3C version and much brighter than the higher lumen AA mini Mag Pro's (lumens don't tell you how bright a focused beam light really is). Though I do find the AA Pro Plus low mode to be very useful - I find myself using it much more than the high mode. IMHO the single mode Pro is a more specialized light - reasonably good for distance for an AA light (though not near as good as a ML25 for throw), but not all that good for most other uses.

One thing about the AAA Mini Mags is that they seem to have used several different LED emitters, the 98 lumen rated one seems to be the throwiest and I like it for that reason. I also have, I think a 111 lumen rated version which is more floody and also a bit more efficient when it comes to runtime.

Latest posts