4 D-Cell Maglite LED drop-in upgrade?

bloodandsoil

Newly Enlightened
Hi, my Dad has a 4 D-Cell Maglite with a regular bulb. Is there an LED upgrade option on the market for this flashlight? Thanks.

Slasher42

Newly Enlightened
Seriously, Ebay? :confused:

Are there no legit companies selling LED drop-ins for D cell maglites?

Terralux dropins can be had on Amazon(or several other places)...
Malkoff drop-ins on their website (Google)...
but they are more expensive...
The Fusion36 from eBay is $25 and is amazing for that price.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy 41-1644 40 Lumen 4.5V - 6V LED Replacement Bulb. $4 at Frys or Sears. $7 at Dorcy Direct if your local stores don't have it.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/288283
Not as bright as the stock 4D bulb but your batteries will probably last until they leaked (I estimate ~50 hours runtime).
About the same brightness as the Terralux TLE-1F but a lot cheaper.

TerraLUX TLE-6EX
Roughly 2X the brightness of a stock 4D Mag.

Sino Union Fusion 36
Nasty has already posted the link.
About 8X the brightness of the stock 4D Mag. Note more of a big blob of light than the spot/spill of most current torches.

TerraLUX TLE-300M-EX
A more focused beam than the above.

Malkoff Drop-In Module for 3-6 D-Cell to fit Mag-Lite
You need to cut off the cam from your reflector or buy a reflector with the cam precut.

-

EDIT
Maybe just get him a new light.
That little penlight called the Preon 2 WARMS (top in photo) just blows my Mag away. $43.
Quark-MiNi-AA2-size.jpg

Mag 2C left, Preon on high right.
Tint-Mag-Preon-Hi.jpg

Last edited:

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't mess about ... Get the Fusion.

My two are great ... With a 4D torch this dropin is the only one to consider at the price ... Read up on it on CPF and you will see how well they are liked.

uknewbie

Banned
I just received a Fusion and am not so keen on it. This is all flood. I mean ALL. I like flood lights and have a few but they all restrict the beam to some extent. That said it seems well made and is very cheap for the lumens.

It also has a blue tint to it which is not to my liking. If you are looking to light up anything over ten meters away then forget it with the fusion.

I also have a Terralux TLE-300M EX and this is far brighter. Throws far with basically one large hot spot, and has three modes. Costs more though and also has a weird overlapping squares kind of beam to it.

I like the look of Mac's custom SST-50 drop in, but have not tried it, and this costs more again.

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
I just ordered the Fusion 36 after reading some reviews on it for my own Mag 3D.

It depends on what you want of course. Saw a review (can't find the thread at this time) with beam shots and was very interested in getting the Fusion 36.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got both the Fusion 36 and Mac's SST-50. For the money the newer warm version of the Fusion 36 is great buying and really transforms your maglite into a super flooder. It does throw more than 10m btw and actually will light up about half an acre with usable light when it's dark.

Mac's SST-50 is also a very floody light with about half the throw of a TK40 but it has a larger hotspot and twice the spill. It's really an impressive set up, but pricey.

Have a look at post #11 of this thread for some SST-50 vs. TK40 beam shots.

The Fusion 36 thread is here.

Last edited:

Nasty

Newly Enlightened
Lol...they should have named it "Flood36".

Yes...all flood, the new warm ones are less blue and also yes, they throw more than 10 m. You'll want to run the voltage as close to 9v as you can get. I run 5 "C" Duracells in my 4D in a piece of PVC pipe.

uknewbie

Banned
OK, I was probably being harsh with the ten meter jibe. For comparison, I have an EDC-MCE, which I know is a brighter light anyway, but there really is no contest.

In terms of flood, throw and output the EDC-MCE kills it.

I have just put the Fusion in a new 2D copper Mag that I am going to run on 6AA Eneloops.

I don't want to put you off I think it is pretty good value for money, just don't go thinking it is too amazing and you won't be disappointed.