#4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I hate when I buy something on sale, and then immediately afterwards it goes on super sale for $5 less.

I already got the 20 dollar deal. One reason why this is kinda fun. On a side note anyone have the length of a naked 16340 vs CR123? Given there is a spring on the head and the warning system makes over discharge unlikely if the size is right it might work. Then again odds are something will go wrong. Anyone out there try this?

lumenati

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Nichia! (Nice catch too since it isn't yet listed in Clearance.) I just ordered one. Foursevens Limited Edition lights at 70% off are difficult if not impossible to pass up.

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was so proud of myself because I had not purchased a flashlight for quite a while, then this. :banghead:
I just ordered another smarty, that makes 2, plus the previous bunch o Foursevens lights. :p

Woods Walker

I was so proud of myself because I had not purchased a flashlight for quite a while, then this. :banghead:
I just ordered another smarty, that makes 2, plus the previous bunch o Foursevens lights. :p

I hear that. Hope they don't put anything else on sale. Even cheap can start to get expensive. :laughing:I probably got one of the last Rainbow Ti Mini IIs the other day. It's in the mail. I used the concocted excuse of it being a Christmas gift for my Uncle who lost the E01 and then the iTP 1XAA just died. He is back to a dollar store EDC. Then again I might just keep it.

I found this video about the reset aka bricking.

Maybe that has something to do with it however odds are they never intended for it to take the light off line during a battery change. I wonder how all of this works in the 2XAA setup.

Woods Walker

Hidden menu? Which one is that?

So far when using just a primary CR123 it has been doing good for the last day. No resets etc etc. Even used the app to see if the light was inside my pack. Kinda nice not having to root around to know it was there. Got another for my nephew as a Christmas gift. He liked the phone control of the flashlight. For 19.50 shipped why not. I still like my copper Mini II better as an EDC though have been getting more than 20 dollars worth of fun with the Smart.

Woods Walker

Testing out some more features. I wanted to test the Bluetooth as a leash for my survival kit and the light itself. Hypothetically it should work really good for that as the smart light can be set to notify the user if separated. In addition the light flashes as a pager/marker. It worked great testing inside the kitchen but what about 8 miles today through the woods.

HnUr0qL.png

The canned survival situation. Stop to get a drink and something out of my pack.

izp7w1c.jpg

My daypack kit. We will be hiking into the night.

8ahnvCv.jpg

The PSK.

f3oP86a.jpg

noZUxNf.jpg

There is the Smart.

Canned survival situation. The PSK slides off behind the log. I don't notice it when packing up........

MId3v3a.jpg

I made sure both were paired for the test. Walking away noticed the strobe going off first then my phone issues this alert with sound.

1fsC08F.png

It's hard to see in the photo (will show the night test in this post) but I could clearly see the strobe at distance from inside the kit. The strobe over time goes to high and finally low beacon mode.

fPPVMGk.jpg

Figured this was the best thing ever. Granted there are GPS trackers but none which are also bright flashlights with a very very bright strobe marker. I verified the pairing, tossed the PSK into my pack moving on. Then I heard the alert and knew the game was afoot. Yup the connectivity isn't the same in an uncontrolled environment. The false alerts came one after another. I put the light in an outside mesh pack pocket and that helped a bit but still got false alarms. Tried different things and despite hopeful rest bits it would fail. Finally had some stability by putting the light in one front pocket and phone in another front pocket. The problem near as I could tell was the connectivity is stable in an unobstructed line but any real work conditions would trigger a false alarm. Worked great on the kitchen table or forest floor but put it in the wrong place on my person and it would fail. Then again with intermittent issues it can be hard to work out the true problem.

Moving on to night. I put the PSK on the ground then walked away. The strobe fired first at about 20 feet then phone alert at maybe 40 feet. There was no missing that glowing/flashing PSK.

iaiG5pn.jpg

Put it back in my pack...... then promptly got more false alarms. So reestablished the pairing to test the oh snap I dropped my light in the dark dank woods situation.

yg4eD4x.jpg

At around 20 feet the woods turned into a disco, another 10-20 feet the phone alert triggered.

Eldpv1P.jpg

Here is the problem. The real useful tool is the "notify when out of range" feature. But I find turning off this feature is necessary. The light will often reconnect so with this feature turned off you won't notice a problem. That's the problem. I am always fighting the technology to do something. Unless mistaken the smart features are why they needed a reset function but that function can disable the light during a battery change for 3 minutes. Also the reset puts you back into strobe land. One of the issue from the early days of muti mode LED lights was to properly hide the strobe mode. The smart quark takes in your face strobe to a new level. It is set to strobe as a default and during actual use it almost looks for a reason to default back to......strobe.

The strobe was wonderful when testing the light's paging system in controlled situations. But it seems more often than not I was taking a strobing light out of my pack or pocket when the connection was mistakenly lost. Never been strobed more in my life, the 70's not withstanding. NOT having strobe on default is a strong recommendation however don't see how to change that. I did test the last seen function and it worked so that's something though sometimes if I didn't verify the paring the light wouldn't be paired and the info was not relevant to the situation. Often if the light is somehow used it would be connected but given all the unintentional disconnects and the need to shut down the notification system now sure I would not stake my life on it. Maybe more testing of this feature would help. I do think it can auto reconnect but sometimes it isn't connected for no obvious reason.

ig10da6.png

Having fun testing the light but as an actual tool it seems to always be fighting me. I do really like the tail cap. I like the fact the side button glows but somehow it's too uncomfortable to use so employ the back button more. It just digs into my finger. Being stiff is ok to avoid accidental activation but the 4/7 logo shape and cold hands worked out badly for me. Didn't notice it as much till did some colder field testing. The back button was ok in the cold. Also my previous tests seems to indicate the battery testing function was ok however need to run down more batteries.

Last edited:

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent field testing report, too bad it didn't work as it should/expected. I did a similar test around my house and property and had several dead spots but I chalked them up to a tri-band router, 900 Mhz, 2.4 Ghz and Dect 6 phones, several BT devices, living near a substation, etc.... You however had zero RF interference out in the wild so I think it confirms the limitation and or usefulness of certain features.

LOL at the 70's strobe comment, I still have my Radio Shack strobe light from that era. :p
Do you really have 10k plus unread emails? :whistle:

Woods Walker

Excellent field testing report, too bad it didn't work as it should/expected. I did a similar test around my house and property and had several dead spots but I chalked them up to a tri-band router, 900 Mhz, 2.4 Ghz and Dect 6 phones, several BT devices, living near a substation, etc.... You however had zero RF interference out in the wild so I think it confirms the limitation and or usefulness of certain features.

LOL at the 70's strobe comment, I still have my Radio Shack strobe light from that era. :p
Do you really have 10k plus unread emails? :whistle:

Maybe more. LOL! I am thinking the "auto off" feature might correct the connectivity issues when not used over time for the last seen function. Though that won't help with intermittent connectivity for the notify when not connected. I think somekinda firmware update might fix the 3 minute bricking. I do find a fast battery change helped mitigate that but can't be 100% certain. Not sure what can be done about the lithium ion size issue beyond trying to back off the tail cap just right. I got plenty of Primary CR123 looking to be eaten anyways. Maybe NOT having strobe as a default from the manufacture might help with the Bee Gees issue. I actually lost my old Bluetooth trackers LOL! but don't remember having this much connectivity issues. I do remember them eating way too much power and somehow sucking my phone dry. This seems much better aka less Bluetooth power consumption but just going by observation

On a side note picked up a Knight on sale. Hope it gets here soon. I didn't want to pay full price when they first came out. Couldn't understand the design thought behind believing a person needed 4 disco modes yet not a low mode to go along with the medium special modes. It made zero logic. I understood the 2 primary modes but not the rest. However for 37 bucks it was worth giving a try. Plus I like twisty two mode UIs.

Really liking my Copper Mini 2. Have both the 1 and 2 AA Mini and they're great UL trail/EDC lights. My first copper light as tend to prefer Al over other options.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Not sure what can be done about the lithium ion size issue beyond trying to back off the tail cap just right. I got plenty of Primary CR123 looking to be eaten anyways...

For me, having to use primaries is my main annoyance with the stock QSL configuration. I have a handful of lights that only work with primary CR123A -- Foursevens Atoms, Foursevens (old) Mini, and a defective Olight S10 Baton that won't work with 16340 for some reason -- and I really don't want another one of those.

After my earlier experimentation, I came to the conclusion that a loosened tailcap is the cause of my QSL frequently resetting to factory defaults -- and I, too, dislike strobe being the default when the tailcap button is activated :green:. So, I figured out an easy mod to make my QSL work properly with protected 16340s.

Here is a teardown of the QSL tailcap:

ZLQhjm

The tailcap plunger is anodized aluminum, and the pointy part is easily sanded down with 500 grit sandpaper on a rubber sheet:

Obviously you have to be careful about removing too much, because it cannot be undone short of buying another tailcap assembly for $9. First pass I just went a tiny bit further than removing the anodizing, then smoothed with some 12,000 grit paper. I reassembled...

... and found that it worked with both primary and secondary cells, but the tailcap travel with secondaries was too small for my liking. :thinking: So I took another pass, again being careful to only remove a little bit. After reassembling again, the light no longer worked with primaries, but secondary 'action' is much better. In the end, I'd guess that I removed about half of a millimeter of material from the plunger. The tolerances are very small. It didn't take long to do, just needed to be careful about reassembling/testing frequently. I'm much happier with the light now.

:twothumbs

The only downside is that I'll have to buy another tailcap if I want to use it with primary cells.