rockspyder

Newly Enlightened
e2amume7.jpg

7eda4e5a.jpg

uhu3ure6.jpg

geba3y8e.jpg

patehupa.jpg

e5yzynag.jpg

As promised, some photos of the double-tap RUSH 12. Have it packed with daily stuff, to include poncho, couple fixed-bladed knives, personal FAK, work gloves, couple ways to make fire, LD22 on the side, Hazard 4 sunglasses case on the other side, and a few other assorted items. Room left for some estate paperwork and my lunch bag.

I love the double-tap color. It looks more blue on the screen at the websites where I've seen it, but is actually a dark gray, with the black trim. Pretty much perfect color scheme for what I was looking for. Subdued, not OVERLY tactical. Bigger than the Maxped Malaga it replaces, but not too big. Perhaps the best purchase in bags that I've made in a long time. But I say that while I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase. Wl have to post back after I've used it a while.

As for its size compared to the 24, I can't help you there. Sorry.

tester88

Newly Enlightened
Great review, thanks.
Some time ago I started investigating about multi-tools. After several nights of watching youtube videos and reading reviews I ended up getting the Leatherman Charge TTI. But in the process most of the reviews also mentioned flashlights - so I had to get some of them! Watching the video reviews about flashlights has led to the next thing => high quality tactical backpacks! So now I'm trying to sum up which would be the right size backpack for me. I'm about 6foot2, athletic/muscular build. I think Rush24 would be better. Thinking for camping, fishing, cycling to work carrying clothes, general everyday usage. I wonder if the rush12 might look a bit too small on me and might be a bit undersized for what I will need it for. But then again if the rush24 is too big then I might be put off to use it for everyday use.

X5CR123A

Newly Enlightened
Tester88, if it helps I bought a 12 and returned it for a 24. It can be big loaded out but not overly so, when with light loaded the straps pull it down thin and you can add tier straps if you feel the need to compress the bottom more. I am same height as you, would not worry about the look but the load.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, thanks.
Some time ago I started investigating about multi-tools. After several nights of watching youtube videos and reading reviews I ended up getting the Leatherman Charge TTI. But in the process most of the reviews also mentioned flashlights - so I had to get some of them! Watching the video reviews about flashlights has led to the next thing => high quality tactical backpacks! So now I'm trying to sum up which would be the right size backpack for me. I'm about 6foot2, athletic/muscular build. I think Rush24 would be better. Thinking for camping, fishing, cycling to work carrying clothes, general everyday usage. I wonder if the rush12 might look a bit too small on me and might be a bit undersized for what I will need it for. But then again if the rush24 is too big then I might be put off to use it for everyday use.

Tester88, if it helps I bought a 12 and returned it for a 24. It can be big loaded out but not overly so, when with light loaded the straps pull it down thin and you can add tier straps if you feel the need to compress the bottom more. I am same height as you, would not worry about the look but the load.

I too am 6'2" and broad shouldered. The photos of me are wearing the 24. For my use, the 24 is too big for everyday use, and comes out when I have a larger load requirement. I reach for the 12 first, and the 12 has become my every day bag. If I could only have one, it would still be the 12 as you can add extra capacity with the tier system, or pouches. However, that is for MY use.

If you need to carry a larger load every day (and as you say, you cycle to work and need to carry a change of clothes as well as other bits and pieces) then the 24 might be a better bet.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I too am 6'2" and broad shouldered. The photos of me are wearing the 24. For my use, the 24 is too big for everyday use, and comes out when I have a larger load requirement. I reach for the 12 first, and the 12 has become my every day bag. If I could only have one, it would still be the 12 as you can add extra capacity with the tier system, or pouches. However, that is for MY use.

If you need to carry a larger load every day (and as you say, you cycle to work and need to carry a change of clothes as well as other bits and pieces) then the 24 might be a better bet.

Excellent advice. But not just a change of clothing. Something like a mildly thick jacket or a formal blazer that is too hot to wear all the time would be enough to make the Rush 24 a better choice. My work-bag is a purpose-built urban backpack from another brand. Works well for stuffing that stuffy polyester blazer I have to carry and sometimes wear for work purposes. The dimensions of that pack are about the same as the Rush 24. Two centimeters shorter in height. Though actually 3.5 centimeters wider than the Rush 24.

Although my work-bag sounds large, My 6'-2" frame let's me wear it well with the bottom of the pack sitting just above my belt-line.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Rush 12 would be okay as an EDC items bag and your work lunch, but for camping/fishing/carrying clothes, I'd leave my Rush 12 at home and take my Kelty Redwing 50 instead. Rush 12 is too small for those tasks IMO.

There is a video of a guy somewhere on YouTube using a Rush 72 as a carry-on bag and putting a weeks worth of clothing in it.

Here it is:

Last edited:

zimm

Newly Enlightened
Killer review. I just bought a Rush 12 a few days ago. I didn't even realize a few features until you pointed them out (releasable shoulder straps and the fact the sternum strap is removable).

Any update from rockspyder on the maxped organizer?

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened
Have some questions on this. Thanks for the review by the way..

I want to use the 24 as a travel backpack, is it ok? I am looking for good hip straps, but this seems does not have them.. or if it does it seems the strapes are not very good. In addition what is the Liter of the 24? I cannot seem to find it.. I am looking for this information but cannot find it anywhere.... In addition I am wondering for my torso of 24-26" if it does have hip straps if it will be ok for me? Thanks.

EDIT: Correction I found the liters of the bag is RUSH24 32.7 litres, it's a bit small. but.. my biggest concern is the hip straps... And is it expandable??

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have some questions on this. Thanks for the review by the way..

I want to use the 24 as a travel backpack, is it ok? I am looking for good hip straps, but this seems does not have them.. or if it does it seems the strapes are not very good. In addition what is the Liter of the 24? I cannot seem to find it.. I am looking for this information but cannot find it anywhere.... In addition I am wondering for my torso of 24-26" if it does have hip straps if it will be ok for me? Thanks.

EDIT: Correction I found the liters of the bag is RUSH24 32.7 litres, it's a bit small. but.. my biggest concern is the hip straps... And is it expandable??

The 5.11 specifications state 2070 cubic inches which converts to 33.9l for the 24.

It does not come with hip straps, but does have buckles to fit them. It is PALS/MOLLE equipped, so is expandable in this way, and the 5.11 tier system allows the MOAB bags to be piggy-backed on the RUSH backpacks. If you look at my MOAB review you will see this in action:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...B-6-and-10-Sling-bags-(MOLLE-PALS-compatible)

If you think the RUSH 24 is too small, you could look at the RUSH 72 which is bigger at 47.4l and has the waist/hip strap included.

You don't mention how tall you are, and I assume the measurement you give is your waist? Before making any comment on size, please give you height, weight and build. In the photos, you see me, and I'm 6'2", 36" waist, and very broad shouldered (I have to get shirts with extra long sleeves).

Last edited:

lightyearsaway

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your reply.

1. I am 6'3", 170lbs. I wear a 34" waist. I am a not very built, thin and tall. I can only estimate that my torso length is around 24-26". sorry for not making that clear before. My shoulders are not all that broad I would think. I generally wear a large tall or xl tall if I can find them, if not I can get away with an xl t-shirt. for jackets i prefer the large or xl tall.

2. Because this is for airplane carry-on, the Rush 72, especially in Europe I think would be rejected. I also don't want a heavy bag. My current bag is only 2lbs. I am comparing this to the Osprey 40 and 55 fairpoint as well as the porter and the Tortuga backpacks, I like none of them for different reasons. 23 x 36 x 56 cm /9 x 14 x 22 in or total of 115 cm/45 in (this is the maximum size of an allowable carry-on for my airline. I am not military or police, I am just looking for a durable travel bag that has compartments and is secure from theft as well as has a comfortable hip belt and shoulder straps. I have a herniated disk, so I cannot carry too much weight, thus comfort is vital.

3. Are you telling me that the Rush 24 can add a hip belt? I just buy it separately? How would it attach?

4. Expandable I meant a zipper out way, but adding another bag would also be ok, I would choose the smallest one.

Last edited:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. OK, I have no input on torso length as I've not even tried to measure mine. Is this from the base of the neck to the waist? Anyway at 6'3" the RUSH 24 should not look wrong at all.

2. I've been using the RUSH 24 as my carry on regularly, however to fit into the gauges, I have to ensure I don't pack it out. If I cram it really full it becomes too bulky.

Your herniated disk is the main issue. The RUSH 24 is relatively heavy even empty due to its strong build.

3. The RUSH 24 has a simple buckle on each side next to the attachment point of the shoulder straps. If you look through the photos you will see these. I haven't seen if 5.11 sell a hip strap kit, or if you need to make one up yourself. Might be worth emailing 5.11 directly on that one.

4. No the bag doesn't have an expandable zip to enlarge it. Instead you have the compression straps to tighten up the bag if carrying it without much in it.

X5CR123A

Newly Enlightened
Lightyearsahead - I don't think the rush 24 is the bag for you.

I have a rush 24 I use everyday, it's tough and copes well with being bashed around on transport but this makes it heavy.

There really is no comparison with say an osprey talon, that is 500g to the rushes 1600g or so. Even to and from the office I can quickly get to weights that I would not want to carry around an airport terminal.

I think a light rucksack like an osprey or deuter which will also spread the load will would be a better solution for you.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Short review of the current Rush 24 pack:

Hey guys, a couple of weeks back, I had a chance to very closely examine the Rush 24 at a ****'s Sporting Goods store. The place is huge and it was empty. So I took my sweet time. Now honestly, I've heard that the Rush 24 was modified from the original. And also, that some are not happy with the latest version. After handling it myself, I can see why.

The grab-handle is thin and rough. It's not remotely a carry-handle. After a few seconds, my hand developed hot spots that lingered on. The sunglasses pouch completely intrudes into the main compartment of the pack. And rather badly. Far worse than several much less expensive packs I've examined. One pair of shades inside a sunglasses case will be too bulky if you plan on stuffing the pack with supplies.

The quick-release straps might be needed by those in the military. But they're simply another potential fail point if one of the plastic buckles cracks or breaks. The two smaller pouches towards the top are divided from each other. And if they weren't, they'd be far more useful. There's just a limited amount of tiny items that one could fit into each of them.

The Admin. pouch is decent, and works well overall. The zippered side pockets are nice, but the space inside each of them is surprisingly a bit too tight. No way would my 24 oz. Hydro-flask fit into one of them without robbing the larger inside compartment of side space. Speaking of the main compartment, the zippered pouches inside are fantastic until you realize that filling them both up means you have practically zero space inside to put anything into the main compartment itself.

Now regarding one of the bigger criticisms that I've seen others post.... The lack of a waist strap is actually not an issue at all. But only because the current iteration of the Rush 24 looks and feels like a Rush 12. Not being sarcastic when I say that two separate times, I had to check and re-check the product hang-tag to be sure that what I was holding was indeed a Rush 24; and not the smaller Rush 12. I expected the 24 to be about the same size as my large pack, a Swiss Gear Synergy model. But no, it was significantly smaller. So honestly, no need for a waist strap. The chest strap? Some have posted that it's just plain badly designed. I have to completely agree with that assessment.

Overall: I was badly disappointed. It just doesn't seem like the pack described in the first post of this topic. I really wish I had gotten a chance to examine the older version that the O.P. has. For anyone seriously considering a Rush 24, perhaps look at a Rush 72 instead.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone could recommend a vertical pouch to put on the side of a RUSH 12 ??

I use a range of pouches, most of which are actually army surplus. It really depends what size you want. I also use the 5.11 fold-able dump pouches as they are compact until you need extra space.

There are so many available, you really need to think most about what you are going to put in the pouch.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
subwoofer, thanks for taking the time to make a great write up. Here it is almost 3 years later - what are your long term thoughts on the Rush 12/24?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
subwoofer, thanks for taking the time to make a great write up. Here it is almost 3 years later - what are your long term thoughts on the Rush 12/24?

Don't really have time to do this question justice right now, but it is a good one.

I've found the 24 has had more use, so if I had to pick one this is the one I'd go with. I also found the 24, if packed carefully, stays below the maximum size for a certain budget airline's guaranteed cabin baggage allowance (as it fits under the seat in front of you). So that is another reason it has had more use. The compression straps really help keep that size restriction under control.

It seems that 5.11 have made changes to the RUSH backpacks, so there may be certain aspects not relevant to the current version. I'm planning to be at IWA 2016 so will be comparing the RUSH 24 that I'll be wearing with the version they have.

The straps are firm and if carrying a heavy load that you are not used to it can dig in a bit. Once you are used to the straps though you can carry a heavy load all day without a problem.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update. I recently purchased a Rush 12 in sandstone as a small hunting/camping pack and think it will work perfectly. I'm impressed with the construction and organization so far. It replaced a Kelty Redstart pack which was extremely comfortable and very low profile, but unfortunately the lack of organization finally got to me. I'm glad to hear it should serve me well for many years to come.

X5CR123A

Newly Enlightened
I would second the straps being a bit thin fully loaded, also the bag itself is quite heavy so gets heavy quickly once you start to load it up.