5.11 Tactical RUSH 12 and 24 Backpack (MOLLE/PALS compatible) Review

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would second the straps being a bit thin fully loaded, also the bag itself is quite heavy so gets heavy quickly once you start to load it up.

My comment was not that the straps are thin, but that they are stiff, so have firm enough edges that they can dig in if you are not accustomed to them. The empty bag is quite heavy due to its strong construction and many features.

The Annoyed Man

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update. I recently purchased a Rush 12 in sandstone as a small hunting/camping pack and think it will work perfectly. I'm impressed with the construction and organization so far. It replaced a Kelty Redstart pack which was extremely comfortable and very low profile, but unfortunately the lack of organization finally got to me. I'm glad to hear it should serve me well for many years to come.
Hello, I'm picking you as a fellow Texan..... I currently have a Rush 72 for a BOB, and am looking at smaller packs for EDC and GHB (get home bag), and occasional use for hunting and as a range bag. I used to live in Earthquake Country, and now I live in Tornado Country, so having enough "get home" stuff in my EDC bag is important to me. I am looking at both the Rush 12 and the Rush 24, and I'm concerned that the 12 would be too small, or the 24 too big for EDC. Flying is not an issue for me. I don't......not since TSA started helping themselves to my nutsack every time I go through security. I'm old and fat (and annoyed) and have seen a large part of the known world already, and I have a nice, large enough, and comfortable SUV 4x4 to travel in. So whether or not the bag will fit in an airline luggage rack is of little consequence to me. If I HAVE to fly somewhere, I own proper luggage.

"EDC" for me may include the following items, some are daily, others are "as-needed":

Daily:

• an IFAK w/ SOFFT-W tourniquet,
  • a N100 filter mask,
  • 3-4 pair of nitrile gloves,
  • a pair of puncture resistant tactical gloves,
  • knee pads,
  • a change of socks and underwear,
  • a lightweight rain jacket in a stuff bag,
  • an ultralight biffy bag in a stuff sack,
  • 24 hours of minimal food rations,
  • a filter straw,
  • an Esbit ultralight folding stove w/ fuel tablets,
  • a TOAKS ultralight cup,
  • an iPad,
  • a flashlight,
  • a Leatherman MUT multi tool,
  • an extra knife,
  • a knife-sharpener,
  • fire-starting stuff (a striker, some tinder, etc.),
  • P38 can opener,
  • a spare pair of reading glasses,
  • a pen and pocket notepad

AS NEEDED:
  • a small pair of binos or a spotting scope (for hunting or range trips),
  • maybe a good book,
  • sometimes a camera and 2 or 3 lenses,
  • extra magazines/ammo for whatever firearm I might have with me at the time (think "hunting" and "range trips"),
  • extra bottled water,
  • maybe extra food (jerky, something like that)

I am not averse to putting some of these things in separate pouches and using the PALS attachment points to mount them to the exterior of the bag. And, God forbid any of the current crop of presidential candidates gets elected, I can attach either bag to my Rush 72 and flee to parts unknown. LOL

In your opinion, having owned a Rush 12 for a while, is it up to the above?

Thank you, and Gig 'em!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
<snip>
In your opinion, having owned a Rush 12 for a while, is it up to the above?

Thank you, and Gig 'em!

I think you'd be able to get your daily list in the Rush 12. It might be extremely full, but I think it could handle it. For the as needed list, that definitely won't fit without adding pouches or upgrading to the Rush 24. Every review I've read online says there is a big jump in size from the 12 to the 24, so if the 12 can't handle it, the 24 should with ease.

Where in TX are you located? Is there an Academy Sports & Outdoors near you? They carry the entire 5.11 Rush line (albeit, only in black I think) and it would be a great way to go hands on with a Rush 12 and Rush 24 to determine which one would be big enough to work for you before you pull the trigger and order one online in your preferred color.

The Annoyed Man

Newly Enlightened
I think you'd be able to get your daily list in the Rush 12. It might be extremely full, but I think it could handle it. For the as needed list, that definitely won't fit without adding pouches or upgrading to the Rush 24. Every review I've read online says there is a big jump in size from the 12 to the 24, so if the 12 can't handle it, the 24 should with ease.

Where in TX are you located? Is there an Academy Sports & Outdoors near you? They carry the entire 5.11 Rush line (albeit, only in black I think) and it would be a great way to go hands on with a Rush 12 and Rush 24 to determine which one would be big enough to work for you before you pull the trigger and order one online in your preferred color.
I'm in Grapevine. There's an Academy a couple of miles from my house. I'll check it out there. Thanks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Definitely check out the packs before buying. First time I handled a Rush 24, I kept checking the tag to be sure it was indeed a 24 instead of the smaller 12. Was surprised at the size of the 24. Had wanted the 24. But after getting to handle one, I've decided to go for a 72 myself.

d7e7r7

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the thread necro but I'm trying to decide between the 5.11 Rush 12 and the Maxpedition Falcon ii. Does anyone have any experience with both that could give some insight to help me make my decision?

TaliscaAdrian

Newly Enlightened
Definitely 5.11 Tactical Rush 24 Back Pack . This is a backpack that has plenty of storage compartments, allowing you to organize your items perfectly. Thanks to the great design, this backpack won't slow you down.

In the main compartment, you'll find 3 mesh pockets, which are great for keeping your gear organized. Smaller items can be found much faster when you store them in this way. So that you don't have to stop to have a drink, you can make use of the hydration compartment. This padded compartment allows you to carry water in your backpack and drink it without having to take anything out of the backpack.

There is a fleece-lined eyewear pocket so that you can keep sunglasses safe when you're not wearing them. There are also 2 zipped side compartments so that you can store all your smaller gear for easy access. This is a backpack that is highly useful for a 24-hour mission and you can add further compartments if you wish as this backpack is Molle compatible. A grab handle at the top of the backpack adds further to the backpack's convenience.

Ooops

Newly Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to thank Subwoofer for his hard work and say what a terrific review this has been. The quality and execution was first class and I've found it most useful[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]:thanks:[/FONT]

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to thank Subwoofer for his hard work and say what a terrific review this has been. The quality and execution was first class and I've found it most useful

:thanks:

Appreciated :thumbsup:

Unfortunately it appears this no longer accurately reflects the current production RUSH backpacks. I'd like to do an update, time and 5.11 permitting.

I'm also waiting for the second Photobucket bomb to hit as the photos here (and many other reviews) are due to fall foul of their changes at the end of this year.

matt4350

Enlightened
Seems there's been a few changes, indeed. I got a Rush 12 in double-tap, I was quite influenced by your review, subwoofer. I'm surprised at how thick and stiff the shoulder straps are, and the capacity seems huge! One of my workmates thought it was the 24. Despite the weight and stiffness of the bag (I'm still wearing it in), the thing feels like it's going to last for a long, long time. The admin pouch is very good, but I do wish the pack had side pockets. If you want an apparently durable pack, and aren't bothered by the heavy construction, this thing is a very good choice in its class.

Ooops

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately it appears this no longer accurately reflects the current production RUSH backpacks. I'd like to do an update, time and 5.11 permitting.
[/QUOTE]
That's disappointing to hear. I'm still at the shortlist stage so no purchase or hands as yet but I was leaning heavily towards them.

I'm also waiting for the second Photobucket bomb to hit as the photos here (and many other reviews) are due to fall foul of their changes at the end of this year.
They have a lot to answer for. I'm a member of a lot of forums across many disciplines and every one of them has had its archives rendered near useless by PB

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have a lot to answer for. I'm a member of a lot of forums across many disciplines and every one of them has had its archives rendered near useless by PB

Not to derail this thread, but I understand in part why they had to do this, but instead of that ludicrous pricing plan, they could have made it so the 3rd party hosting was in the lower packages too. I am paying the $30 a year package (so not taking the mickey on a free plan) and only due to that are my older photos still online. Once that expires though I won't be held to ransom. I'm fortunate that I'm hosting a website, so have been self-hosting my images ever since the announcement, but the back catalogue, that is a different matter. It will be a huge amount of work to update all of it.

If only more people didn't just want everything for free, but had paid some level of membership to PB, then this would not have happened.

So the clock is ticking for this review and many others. I will fix certain popular threads if asked to.

Tommygunn792

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but are the waist buckles 1.5"/38mm?

Cheers,
Tom.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere, but are the waist buckles 1.5"/38mm?

Cheers,
Tom.

With the age of this review and knowing the design has been updated, I'm going to refrain from providing the answer. If anyone who has purchased one recently can help, please post the info?