500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very much for the posts and patience.

My engineer is in the process of testing and told me he hopes to have some update on the status within this week.
Like everyone, I'm eagerly awaiting some news on this baby and rest assured I'll share it the moment I have some :D

Tgwnn

sticktodrum

Enlightened
Hi Guy...by any chance do you have extra orings for the Torpedo? Mine got shredded, the one in the 10250 tube (the emergency extension part).

Do you have a size on the o-ring? It was too far gone for me to size it...

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick PCB Update:
There were two components aligned incorrectly on one of the PCBs.
One, a capacitor is easy to fix, the other is an IC with tiny, tiny feet so my engineer is working on wiring in an external one and will re-start testing once thats in place.

I'll post again as soon as I have some more news and thank you kindly for your patience in the meantime.

Hi Guy...by any chance do you have extra orings for the Torpedo? Mine got shredded, the one in the 10250 tube (the emergency extension part).

Do you have a size on the o-ring? It was too far gone for me to size it...

Hi sticktodrum,

Sure, I have some spares. Will send you.
In the meantime, if you check inside the box of your HF-R, you'll see some spares you can use right away.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any good news over the past month on this?

Hi BVH,

Thanks for the post.
My engineer is waiting on a small custom pcb to enable next step of testing.
There were 2 components mis-mounted but they are too tiny to re-mount onto the board so we need to create an external pcb with those and basically wire around them (one was incorrect orientation on the pcb itself).
If the basic test passes, the plan is to remake the one pcb with incorrect orientation, and give it another try.

It feels like I am a road with quite a few development forks for the Torpedo.

I now have a booster circuit designed (originally for the HF series) to allow use of AAA batteries (not yet implemented).
Then I also have a design for some clicks on modes, along with one more new circuit for a small light not yet discussed but it's essentially an electronic switch with easy to access modes due to a new UI.

I'm thinking any of these 3 combos could work in the original Torpedo concept, so it's sort of a race to the finish line on which concept can be the one, at the same time it's somewhat a drawing of straws as to which one looks closest to becoming a product as they all tend to eat money (lots of it) during development and prototype batches.

Now that the matchbook project is able to go ahead, I'm going to choose the next project to go forward with and very likely put everything I have behind that so I think I'll have to start a new thread to ask you all to help me choose which one that should be and we have quite a list to choose from.... (I'll list a summary in the new thread) and of course I'm guessing the Torpedo is going to be high on that list.

Tgwnn

BVH

Flashaholic
The Torpedo was first discussed almost 5 years ago. I'm beginning to lose interest. Lots of credit to you Guy for many exceptional products you've brought to fruition but I'm disappointed this never made it.

easilyled

Flashaholic
The Torpedo was first discussed almost 5 years ago. I'm beginning to lose interest. Lots of credit to you Guy for many exceptional products you've brought to fruition but I'm disappointed this never made it.

It doesn't sound like Guy has given up on it yet. As you say, in the meantime there are plenty of other MBI products to enjoy. I wouldn't write that "it never made it" though unless this is officially confirmed.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi BVH,

Thanks very much for posting and it has taken forever I know.

A lot can happen in 5yrs so I can't fault anyone for losing or changing their interests in that time.

I have definitely not given up on it, rather just have to drip-fund the development when I'm able (before it financially drip-bleeds me to death :) ).
Of course the Torpedo, triggered the birth of MBI so although it's slow, making it happen is still very important to me.

I think I've mentioned before that I am working on multiple paths that lead to Rome (or a Torpedo) but each step is tending to be very incremental and careful because as much as I love working on MBI, I can only afford to subsidize so much these days but it is moving in the forward direction.

When it's ready I am still planning to send out new heads and although I've not posted it publicly, when the last of the X-run didn't make it (window 5), and I confirmed it would take quite some time, I sent out a Titanium HF-R to every Window 5 member as a gift to say thanks for waiting, along with an unconditional offer for a full refund.

It's definitely been a learning experience and I've been working on many things that help bring it closer but going from paper to product, especially aiming for something that's truly unique, really does take a significant amount of endless pushing.

I like to think everything is moving in the right direction, with the "thing" batch being pretty much on schedule (for a first time product), to be followed by the Matchbook, on-time, then Apollo and the Torpedo.

Although some of these seem unrelated, in terms of manufacturing pipeline and steps, they are all stepping stones to ensuring everything can be made on spec and on time.

I shan't rant too much :D as I completely understand and on my end I can only strive to work harder and smarter to ensure I can continue to fund development and deliver small miracles.

It doesn't sound like Guy has given up on it yet. As you say, in the meantime there are plenty of other MBI products to enjoy. I wouldn't write that "it never made it" though unless this is officially confirmed.

Thanks easilyled,

"not yet made it" ;)

The only way to fail is to quit and I'm not planning on doing that "ever" for the Torpedo.

Tgwnn

Andde

Newly Enlightened
You'll make it :)
HF-R is nice EDC, i'd need to find a charger though :)
My package is still waiting to leave to you, one day you'll get it :)

trojansteel

Newly Enlightened
Love my HF-R

bd3d12e9b4402438f1ec9eab6b79b7f5.jpg

9d557a1112e7c216bde719b6330d21f4.jpg

spyder1911

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guy,

I've been following the development of the Torpedo closely since I first heard about it here. There hasn't be much news lately and I just wanted to see if you think there will be any more developments soon or if it would just be worth picking up a HF-R instead.

Thanks

madcat108

Newly Enlightened
I'm following it also for ... nearly 3 years ? (can it be ? ) :thinking:
Since then i keep a TAB open of this thread constantly in my browser.
It appears it is very close to the final product. HF-R is not a replacement for a Torpedo for me.

It would be nice to hear a more frequent updates from the developer...
I believe he will not abandon it so close to the finish line.

Status
Not open for further replies.