6C Space Needle

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I cut down a Mag 6C to a 4C tube, threaded the top, then built an adapter that would join two Mag C tubes. I can now run my Space Needle from 6 C batteries.
SpaceNeedle6C.jpg

The length is not entirely convenient, but getting roughly 6.5x more run time than with 3 123s is.

gbreckley

Newly Enlightened
I am confused I think, you cut it down from a 6C to a 4C and then redid it so it would be a 6C again, I must be missing something.

HELP ME

ufokillerz

Enlightened
i did a 6D space needle, of course i didn't name it a 6D space needle =\

i think he has the option of having it as a 2c and running 3x 123 batteries of popping that 4c part on and running it with 6C batteries

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
glad you finally got it done!!!! looks estremely sessy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

it's nice to be able to use different batter combinations i'll bet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw...where are the emails man? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Nice mod! If only I could get a lathe. Oh well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

I guess one reason I can think of doing it this way is that it allows the light to be changed back into its stock form. So it's kinda like 2 lights in one. Small shorter runtime light AND a large longer-running flashlight.

And I guess since Space Needles aren't cheap, Otokoyama
didn't want to risk damaging anything by taking out the guts of the SN.

-Daniel

Otokoyama

Enlightened
gbreckley : The Space Needle is originally a 2C light with a rubber sleeve to choke the C barrel down to 123 size. You need 9V to drive it, or 3 123s. 123s are much cheaper now than a few months ago, but still relatively expensive.

Since the emitter is permanently attached to the 2C body, making a 4C extension provides a way to get the 9V using 6 C cells. This results in longer run time, but also a rather long light.

You need at least a 5C to make a 4C extension, since there's roughly a half a C cell's worth of inside threading on top to account for. I happened to have a Mag 6C, so I used that.

It was an exercise to learn inside threading.

ufokillerz : The 2C part is a real Space Needle.

Rothrandir : Email sent soon!

dw_1984 : Exactly right!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice job! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I like seeing a great flashlight improved upon by adding more options.

gbreckley

Newly Enlightened
I understand now it was just not clicking for me that this was a pre-done space needle and not a clone you had made, the added flexibility of 2 lights in one as it weer is very cool, nice work.

Otokoyama

Enlightened
I wouldn't want to get thumped with any 6C light, but I suspect the threaded joint is significantly weaker than solid aluminum.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The joint probably wouldn't like something like a baseball bat swipe, but something like a tailcap end-jab would still hurt mightily and hold up well...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Two bad there's no way to mod the Luxeon to the UK SL-6 (6 C batteries 3+3, very compact and easy to carry.

Brightnorm

yclo

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
Too bad there's no way to mod....

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be so sure.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yes, something like this:

fc7a183b.jpg

Presently made and sold for the Streamlight Poly/Stinger models (as you can see with the little dings near the tip, mine has already been "deployed" while on duty).

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's what I'm talking about... Drill a hole through the night with the 5W and drill a hole through a perpetrator at the same time!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ow!!!

man...those tailcaps are nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened
Whoever made MR Bulk's obviously has done this more than once. Nice work! Of course, being a non-LEO, mine was made solely to quickly deploy to hold in front of the beam thereby reflecting it and achieving somewhat of a 360 degree lantern effect. :)