A tribute to present and past custom builders

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think both photos look good, but the bottom one looks especially nice. Getting depth-of-field right is definitely something that comes with experience. I still struggle with it and often take several photos of the same composition, but with different aperture settings to see what looks the best.

Do you know what aperture setting you used for the top photo?

easilyled

Flashaholic
I think both photos look good, but the bottom one looks especially nice. Getting depth-of-field right is definitely something that comes with experience. I still struggle with it and often take several photos of the same composition, but with different aperture settings to see what looks the best.

Do you know what aperture setting you used for the top photo?

I used F10 for both but I focused on the tail section in the top photo and I love the way the tails came out in it. The main issue I have is not so much with the picture but the fact that it doesn't show on the screen in one go, therefore if the top part is the first that is seen, it looks off.

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah - that makes sense! F10 is what I normally aim for as well although on occasion I'll use F13 if I need a larger DOF.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Ah - that makes sense! F10 is what I normally aim for as well although on occasion I'll use F13 if I need a larger DOF.

Yes, maybe I should have done in this example. It may also benefit from increasing the contrast a little so that the tritium colors are more vibrant and the heads look more deliberately out-of-focus. Anyway, I shouldn't clutter your great thread with my photography issues! ;)

easilyled

Flashaholic
those are beauties. are they clicky switches?

Thank you. The switches are electronic switches which have a slightly different feel from conventional clicky switches like McGizmos. There is no momentary with them, just click on and carry on clicking off and on until the level desired is reached.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try focus stacking, you can easily stay within the 5.6-8 sweet spot and have the entire subject razor sharp, while maintaining a bokehlicious background. ;)

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. The switches are electronic switches which have a slightly different feel from conventional clicky switches like McGizmos. There is no momentary with them, just click on and carry on clicking off and on until the level desired is reached.

no worries man, thanks for the explanation! :)

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some tribute shots to my favs from over the years!

I dig all of Enrique's creations but really like this shot.
Green-Pink3_zps33dfe5fd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Still love the KI/MJ lights.
KIs2_zps63198da6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Possibly my all-time favorite design, the venerable Hyperlux/Super Flashlight.
A number of generations here, from the early TnC Hyperlux in blue/black with a 3-cell configuration, a orange/black SFII, a SFV, a Ti SFIII, to the beautiful knurled Tain Ti Hyperlux.
SFs11_zpsa2e39d49.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And of course, some McG's, my two favorites.
McG1_zpscff32dac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And a shot of two of my most favorite things!
ZixenHL01_zps87f0d796.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not the best pics, need more practice with my new macro lens.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Lux, you have excellent taste with which I concur ... especially regarding the Hyperlux/SuperFlashlight design in which the execution was exemplified by the peerless Tain Ti Hyperluxes. I also loved the KI series and regret selling the KI-LE that I had in my possession at one stage. :thumbsup:

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a great group of lights Lux - thanks for posting. I really like the first photo as well!

The McGizmo pair also looks really nice. I still need to add an Aqua to my collection.

easilyled

Flashaholic
The McGizmo pair also looks really nice. I still need to add an Aqua to my collection.

You really should Dave. The Aqua series along with the PD series represents McGizmo's finest in my opinion. Apart from the great looks, these lights are robust tools that are virtually indestructible and extremely reliable.

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still plan to Daniel, but recently my flight simulation passion was reinvigorated, and I've been spending quite a bit of money there. ;)

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys!
Yes, I do recommend the Aqua as well. Awesome design that is bulletproof!
I fell in love with that design way back when Don introduced it as the 27L Ti Proto but had to settle on the mere mortal version in aluminum, the small handful(4 or 5) of Ti units were equipped with a Lux 5 watt X-Bin and were nearly impossible to pry out of the hands of those that had one. The aluminum version that I have has been a permanent resident in my tool box for the last 7 or so years and has had the crap beat out of it and still works like the perfect tool that it is!
When Don introduced the Aqua line I flipped out! Finally, a chance to own that design in titanium, with an updated light engine and 18650 compatibility!!! SOLD!! I picked up a Mule version and love it.
Looks good, feels good, works good. What more do you want?

And the KI lights, love that design, just classic. I too parted with a few that I had and have started to rebuild my KI collection a bit.
Here is an older shot of mine of 2 Splash versions that I no longer have bit love this pic.
IMG_44142_zps5b5d128c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
The splash anodizing on those lights looks great. I like the shade of blue and also how it contrasts nicely with the black.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Yes, the design of the KIs is also gorgeous. It has perfect proportions and a style that belies its tiny size.
I'd love to persuade Tain to do a tribute run of these in Ti with the great knurling that his lights always have, but I'm not sure whether there'd be sufficient demand or whether there would be a problem with permission to use the design from the Japanese Master.

Last edited:

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd love to persuade Tain to do a tribute run of these in Ti with the great knurling that his lights always have, but I'm not sure whether there'd be sufficient demand or whether there would be a problem with permission to use the design from the Japanese Master.
It sounds interesting to me. I've always liked the look of those lights, and having one in Ti would be great! The permission issue might be the biggest challenge though.