• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 119V AA LE and have tried it in several McGizmo heads. I purchased it with the Haiku head and thought it was too throwy and not enough spill. For awhile I used it in a Makai head. Still throwy, but more spill. I liked this set up except it was not pocket friendly. I liked the Frankenstein look. Now it is in a mule head. Very useful for navigating at night and close up tasks. Nice size and it is pocket friendly. The mode spacing between M and H is very good - noticeably more light, even if not more throw.

Although I don't have an AA XML LE, I do have an XML 3S in a Haiku head and agree that it is one of the most useful lights I have. The beam is wonderful - floody - and it has punch on High. The tint is cool, but not angry blue. I like the way the Haiku head looks on the AA pak - a little longer and more elegant than the 123 pak - and it feels great in the hand.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A picture is worth a thousand words.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tino ale - he has a thread in Don's sub-forum. Great guy to work with. You can see pics of the disassembly process and the care he takes with McGizmo lights.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
PSM, the mule on the Zenith body is gorgeous, isn't it. Unfortunately, the Zenith head doesn't look so good on any other e-series body and I don't have a spare Zenith body.

benchrest

Newly Enlightened
PSM, the mule on the Zenith body is gorgeous, isn't it. Unfortunately, the Zenith head doesn't look so good on any other e-series body and I don't have a spare Zenith body.

Does it ever look good! Almost as if they were made together! Well done Yoyoman!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Yep but you could Lego as needed though. I will probably end up getting a AA mule when funds permit. Too bad the Mule head can't run on both battery chemistries though. (Nimh and li ion)

archimedes

Flashaholic
Yep but you could Lego as needed though. I will probably end up getting a AA mule when funds permit. Too bad the Mule head can't run on both battery chemistries though. (Nimh and li ion)
Not sure if I'm understanding your post, PSM ... but this (McGizmo) converter can safely run ~0.8 ~ 4.5 V according to the OP in this thread. Yes, it will not be efficient at higher voltages, limiting current and wasting energy as extra heat. That is the trade-off, according to the answer to my question, posted here -

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...o-the-series&p=4191482&viewfull=1#post4191482

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Not sure if I'm understanding your post, PSM ... but this (McGizmo) converter can safely run ~0.8 ~ 4.5 V according to the OP in this thread. Yes, it will not be efficient at higher voltages, limiting current and wasting energy as extra heat. That is the trade-off, according to the answer to my question, posted here -

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...o-the-series&p=4191482&viewfull=1#post4191482

Ha! That's right! I forgot about that, even though I knew it. LOL.

Thanks Don!

Belial

Newly Enlightened
I Just sent you an email to purchase your Haiku AA Hi CRI ! Thanks again!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Just to be 100% clear here! I can buy this New AA converter in a Haiku head, and AA battery pack, which I can run a single AA; 2 AAs in the 2 AA pack; and then put the AA Converted Haiku head on a single CR123A pack, and the AA converted head will work across all these battery mediums?

Is this correct? Just want to confirm this because it makes this system one of, if not the most versatile designed systems there is, and it is also a custom system which makes it that much nicer.

Back to to the new converter, am I correct in the operation of this system? Because, I am in for the Haiku AA converter, and AA pack as a wonderful compliment to a flashlight system I use and carry, and travel with daily.

This is system just keeps getting better and better.

Thank you for the information,

Best wishes.

RL

ADD: Also, a simple accessory holder/spacer could allow the use of CR2 batteries as well. Does anyone make a Delrin sleeve and metal spacer to make the use of CR2 batteries? Being able to use CR2 batteries in an emergency would really compliment this system, and the adapter to do it would be easy and inexpensive to make.

Last edited:

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Short answer is yes. It will even survive a rcr123 or 18650 up to 4.2v. Having said that anything above 3.2v will be eaten up but will not be what you see as light but what you feel as heat.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Short answer is yes. It will even survive a rcr123 or 18650 up to 4.2v. Having said that anything above 3.2v will be eaten up but will not be what you see as light but what you feel as heat.
So the converted head works as a AA and CR123 single! This is fantastic!

What is your experience with using this system? This system is next on my list!

Thanks,

RL

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does take a number of battery combo. But most get this for the ability of using readily available AA battery. If using that, you will get around 100 lumens on high for under 2 hours. Almost no heat detected at this drive level.