• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided on the Haiku XML as my first McGizmo light, but Don's comment still intrigues me. I've used LiFePO4 cells before to deliver 3 V - they don't have the capacity of an ICR. I would prefer using a 123 pak to using a 2 X AA pak with Eneloops.

I'm in the process of ordering my first McGizmo light and I'm already thinking about my next...

Hi guys,
...but the quality of light goes to the Nichia and for throw and a clean beam pattern, the Haiku AA with Nichia is a sleeper in my opinion.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yoyoman. You can't go wrong with the efficient XML.
It is not advisable to use a LiFePo4 with the AA LE. It will turn your rechargeable into a non rechargeable. The LE is capable of handling the upper limits of the 3.2-3.3 volts of the LiFePO4. And it will continue to draw on it till it is 0.8volts, by which that battery would be damaged and killed.

ajl

Newly Enlightened
Email sent last night for a few (and one other item) for the family with the Nichia. (By the way, my CPF "handle" is "ajl" not "alangloi" as I mentioned in the email.) Regards from Jacksonville.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is great news and will be a perfect match to the AA battery pak.
Can you let us know if LE with this new converter are available separately for easy upgrades and if yes, the cost of the different versions (xm-l, high cri...) ?

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tino.
I think there are only a handful of people that have previously bought the single AA pak. As such, I think Don sees no need to list the head and LE option separately but if you go with his previous selling patterns, I am pretty certain that route is available to you.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Tino,
Benchiew is correct. You ask about easy upgrade and that requires qualification.The XM-L and HiCRI 119 require different reflectors in the Haiku and you don't interchange light engines mixing LED's. If I am building a light engine for someone, I need to know what it is going into so I can properly place the LED leads on the MCPCB and cover them if necessary with Kapton tape. The user needs to be careful in any light engine removal on a Haiku to insure that they don't lose the small O-ring in the back of the reflector or have it move out of place during a LE exchange. I can and have made LE's available to folks and will continue to do so but i don't want to give the impression that it is necessary an easy exchange requiring no thought or consideration. Cost of an AA HiC LE is $125 and an AA XM-L LE is $130.

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. In fact in the past years I have played a lot with my Gizmos (complete disassembly, bead blasting, anodizing, Led swap...) and I have own quite a few of your products. I realize I have come to know your design quite well and tend to forget some "details" are not obvious to others. There is room for messing up a light indeed so a word of caution is helpful here. As always one must know what he's doing while modding/upgrading/altering a light.

ajl

Newly Enlightened
Received mine (HiCRI 119) today and found that it fits the Maxpedition 4" Flashlight Sheath nicely. (Flashlight lens facing up as the sheath has a drainage grommet at the bottom. I guess someone could cover that grommet if desired.) fyi: the flashlight, as I measure it with the Haiku head, is 4 3/8 inches long.
AAHaiku-Maxpedition4inchSheath.jpg

Last edited:

ajl

Newly Enlightened
Picture posted above this morning. These are the 4 inch Maxpedition Flashlight sheaths with the AA Haiku. If you look closely at the olive drab sheath you can see the drainage grommet at the bottom. I keep a water bottle top over my flashlight to keep the lens clean and scratch free. Inexpensive and it works for me.

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a sapphire lens. You really don't have to worry about it getting scratched. I understand the desire to protect it, however :)

SurlyDave

Newly Enlightened
Sent my order in for a Mule Hi CRI today. I'm sure a haiku Hi CRI will soon follow.

This will be my first Ti light and my first Mcgizmo.