• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

AA Flashlight (new single cell converter) addition to the series

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, you should have stayed for dinner. My new AA LE arrived today. You must have delivered it yourself, because the shipment time from Maui to my house in Canada was <6 days.

I was not sure I would like it... but it is very excellent. The high output is respectable and the lower low is great.

Nice job!

eala

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received mine (HiCRI 119) today and found that it fits the Maxpedition 4" Flashlight Sheath nicely. (Flashlight lens facing up as the sheath has a drainage grommet at the bottom. I guess someone could cover that grommet if desired.) fyi: the flashlight, as I measure it with the Haiku head, is 4 3/8 inches long.
AAHaiku-Maxpedition4inchSheath.jpg

Thanks for the info. I might just get myself one of those sheath.

ajl

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I might just get myself one of those sheath.

Maxpedition is one of CPF sponsors. I ordered and received three news ones in green (olive drab), one for me, two for family. Got a free catalog with the order. Wish there was a CPF discount...

carrot

Flashaholic
Don,
Quite a few years ago I had considered the feasibility of a flashlight design that could accept both AA and CR123 without swapping or other user-interaction on the battery housing itself. Now that your converter exists such that both AA and CR123 are happily accepted forms of power, is this a design consideration that you are willing to entertain?

I explored the idea with 4sevens and Kuku427 several years back and nothing came to fruition, but perhaps you would be able to take the next step of making it reality.

If you're interested, I'll email you on how I think it could be done.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlight design that could accept both AA and CR123 without swapping or other user-interaction on the battery housing itself

Funny you should mention that, carrot - one of my favorite lights, and one that never saw any kind of fan-fare on this site (or any other) uses that exact mechanism:
http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=247

With the wider range of input voltages most converters are accepting nowadays, I wish it would have taken off more, but like you said - they're few and far between.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Carrot,
I can envision a pak that will accommodate both single AA and CR123 cells but it seems to me that one would also want the ability to use RCR123 and I really question just how much real need for such a pak there is. At present I am attempting to carry and support this series now with four different heads and four different battery paks and three different converters and two different LED's. I recall years ago the expressed real interest in a 17500 pak for the Aleph series and of course that pak would work for both CR123 (with spacer) or single AA battery. Those paks were made and sold like tickets to a broken carnival ride.

I can only do so much as a one man show and presently I have invested a significant amount of time and funds to a new, 18650 twisty dive light. I can't say you have piqued my interest here. Sorry.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can only do so much as a one man show and presently I have invested a significant amount of time and funds to a new, 18650 twisty dive light.
Interested to learn more about this dive light, 18650 would be nice. I would imagine this light would need to be pretty bright. Will it operate safely out of the water since the intended environment would super cool the light?

wind-catcher

Newly Enlightened
Great pics, Don (as always :))

I have two questions.

- What color bin of XM-L i used?
- Which head/LED combo will have the best throw - Haiku XM-L or Haiku Hi-CRI?

Thank you!

Alex

P.S. Its my first post at CPF. I was a lurker for a long period. But after seeing Don's light I decided to register and buy one for me :)

McGizmo

Flashaholic

- What color bin of XM-L i used?
- Which head/LED combo will have the best throw - Haiku XM-L or Haiku Hi-CRI?

Thank you!

Alex

If you are asking about the HiC VS XM-L on a single AA then the HiC will have better throw because it is a smaller die and is better collimated behind its reflector than the XM-L is. If you are asking about the two Haikus on a single 1x123 or 2xAA or 2X123 then I would guess the XM-L would have greater throw even though it has a much larger spot and is not sharply collimated. I am guessing that the much higher flux would lead to a greater throw. I am guessing here because I have not tested these various combinations.

ffemt6263

Enlightened
Drywolf you can add me to that list.
Don, i absolutely loved the beadblasted haiku. The most beautiful light ive ever seen.