Acebeam h50 VS Nitecore HC65??

SSANDERS

Newly Enlightened
yes you loose turbo offly quick, need to be close to 4v, the fenix does not have this issue, even when using the nitecore battery, so its not a battery issue. but yes even with it being 1k compared to the fenix it does seem dimmer.

im not a big wall hunter, but even with an offset emitter as well, i only have 2 rings the hot spot and the outer ring i can't complain. i can take a picture if you want.

Same, I have no use for shining lights at a wall, ha.
But the hot spot being uneven/blotchy/not round was immediately obvious.

How's your tint shift? Hotspot to spill, this one isn't good. Fairly warm in the spot, to REALLY cool out in the spill. Just walked around outside some, and it makes it a bit odd looking around. It doesn't have that "natural" even light feel that I like in a headlamp. Even though the reflector is small, I think orange peel would really help it.

I'm ok with the UI now. Walking around and playing with modes, I had no issues. I actually think it's pretty decent.

The high CRI aux emitter is nice. It IS a nice, very even natural light. Not bright enough for anything but up close tasks, but it's nice.

Turbo doesn't feel like 1000 lumens. Probably because so much spills out into barely useable light, but compared to 1000 lumen PD35 Tac, it seems like there's noticeably less light out there. That being said, it's plenty bright for a headlamp.

Bottom line, if the beam was nice and even, with softer tint shift, I'd be really happy with the light.

SSANDERS

Newly Enlightened
Now that I look at it, on a wall, the spill is kind of square, and the hotspot looks kind of flowery (for lack of a better term).

SSANDERS

Newly Enlightened
I'll add, that if this light looses high at 3.8V then that's going to be disappointing. I can handle loosing turbo, but high needs to be usable.

ca pow

Newly Enlightened
I have the Acebeam H50 with the Nichia option, I find using one, two, or three emitters very enjoyable, there is only one button, and it is very easy to use, double clicking moves you from one to two to three emitters, very easy. Press and hold ramps you through four brightness modes regardless of which emitter option you choose. But really the most enjoyable thing about this is the Nichia option, the color rendering is beautiful, and the beam is always very even with a slight hot spot. I now have six various headlamps from this year's production and the H50 is my fav.

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
I'll add, that if this light looses high at 3.8V then that's going to be disappointing. I can handle loosing turbo, but high needs to be usable.

this is not happening to me, i can still get to turbo although the shift is suttle, im definitely not loosing high at 3.8 i will do some tests and see how long before it drops out.

when you say loose you mean you can't even switch to it correct?

my spill is perfectly circular, sounds like your emitter is too far back, maybe send it back?

how do you feel about the red? i think its blinding.

SSANDERS

Newly Enlightened
As an update, I talked to Nitecore about the beam, and they pulled a few to compare. She noted that the others had somewhat of a squarish, uneven hot spot as well. Mine is squarish, and has some dark spots. That being said, outdoors, at night you can't really tell.

Anyhow,
I couldn't help myself, and ordered a Fenix HL60r to compare. After playing with them for a little while, these are my thoughts:

Long story short, I like EVERYTHING about the Nitecore better... Other than the beam profile. The Nitecore is smaller, has a much nicer feeling headband, I like the lighting levels better, and the auxiliary Hi CRI emitter is very useful. I know Littlebill had some issues with it, but I actually like the Nitcores UI now too. The full click on/off, and half click to cycle levels works well. I'm not a fan of the hold for on/off on the Fenix. The Fenix headband feels cheap to me. It feels like it will lose it's elasticity quickly.

That being said, the beam on the Fenix is nicer. It is a warmer light, and is much more even. I think a lot of this is due to the OP reflector on the Fenix, VS the smooth on the Nitecore.

If I could put the Fenix emitter and reflector in the Nitecore, I'd have what I consider to be a perfect headlamp.

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
As an update, I talked to Nitecore about the beam, and they pulled a few to compare. She noted that the others had somewhat of a squarish, uneven hot spot as well. Mine is squarish, and has some dark spots. That being said, outdoors, at night you can't really tell.

Anyhow,
I couldn't help myself, and ordered a Fenix HL60r to compare. After playing with them for a little while, these are my thoughts:

Long story short, I like EVERYTHING about the Nitecore better... Other than the beam profile. The Nitecore is smaller, has a much nicer feeling headband, I like the lighting levels better, and the auxiliary Hi CRI emitter is very useful. I know Littlebill had some issues with it, but I actually like the Nitcores UI now too. The full click on/off, and half click to cycle levels works well. I'm not a fan of the hold for on/off on the Fenix. The Fenix headband feels cheap to me. It feels like it will lose it's elasticity quickly.

That being said, the beam on the Fenix is nicer. It is a warmer light, and is much more even. I think a lot of this is due to the OP reflector on the Fenix, VS the smooth on the Nitecore.

If I could put the Fenix emitter and reflector in the Nitecore, I'd have what I consider to be a perfect headlamp.

interesting, i agree with the headband, although i find the fenix more secure with the larger back piece, i have worn out fenix headbands before. curious to see how the nitecore holds up, but i do think the light level jump from eco to low is too large, and i think the jump from high to turbo too small. how do you feel about the red on the nitecore?

SSANDERS

Newly Enlightened
To be honest I rarely, if ever, use the red. But, given its intended purpose, the red on the Nitecore is probably a little intense.

So side by side on a wall, are the beams/hotspots on your lamps similar? Or is your Fenix smoother and more even?
How about temp?

SSANDERS

Newly Enlightened
More thoughts....

The Fenix is MUCH warmer, and is pretty much consistent in color from center to spill. The Nitecore gets noticeably "colder" as you get out into the spill.

The Nitecore has a good bit wider spill, which is nice on a headlamp, but the hotspot is very defined, which isn't so good. There is always a "circle" of bright light in the center of your vision.

The Fenix spill is noticeably more narrow (not good) but the hotspot blends into the spill seamlessly. You notice the center is brighter, but there is no hard "circle". The Fenix is more intense in the center though, and throws a little further.

I think the 1,80,280,550 spacing on the Nitecore is more useful than the 5,50,150,400 on the Fenix. Both are good (and similar) but outside in my backyard the Nitecore spacing seems more useable and the 1 lumen is better than the 5.

I'll say again, the high CRI aux emitter on the Nitecore is really nice. 26 lumens up-close pure flood. I'd miss it on the Fenix after using the NC for a while.

The reds... well, the Fenix red is very dim. I could probably read a book with it, but that's about it. The Nitecore red is opposite. I can see the ground in front of me fairly well, and it's enough to walk around with. Honestly, somewhere between the two would be the winner.

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
More thoughts....

The Fenix is MUCH warmer, and is pretty much consistent in color from center to spill. The Nitecore gets noticeably "colder" as you get out into the spill.

The Nitecore has a good bit wider spill, which is nice on a headlamp, but the hotspot is very defined, which isn't so good. There is always a "circle" of bright light in the center of your vision.

The Fenix spill is noticeably more narrow (not good) but the hotspot blends into the spill seamlessly. You notice the center is brighter, but there is no hard "circle". The Fenix is more intense in the center though, and throws a little further.

I think the 1,80,280,550 spacing on the Nitecore is more useful than the 5,50,150,400 on the Fenix. Both are good (and similar) but outside in my backyard the Nitecore spacing seems more useable and the 1 lumen is better than the 5.

I'll say again, the high CRI aux emitter on the Nitecore is really nice. 26 lumens up-close pure flood. I'd miss it on the Fenix after using the NC for a while.

The reds... well, the Fenix red is very dim. I could probably read a book with it, but that's about it. The Nitecore red is opposite. I can see the ground in front of me fairly well, and it's enough to walk around with. Honestly, somewhere between the two would be the winner.

i think your going to be surprised by my picture.....

https://i.imgur.com/LHh9z5B.jpg

take a guess, but the fenix is on the left, nitecore on the right, both on LOW 3 feet from a BLUE wall, so ignore the color unfortunately its the only wall i could do it on, and its off a camera phone.

based on the photo it appears my nitecore is much floodier, and much wider. color on the fenix is much warmer 100% agree. i used the nitecore about 4 hours yesterday ironcially hanging lighting in a garage, now i agree the high cri is good for dark adjusted eyes and perfect flood, but it was far too dim with other lighting on in the area.

i will be honest my fenix hp30r flood blows both of these away but it has a defused lense and 2 leds, but its like the cri on the nitecore with just a crap load of more power, the down side is the battery pack gets in the way much more then expected, unless wearing a jacket.

i did not notice wearing the nitecore after a couple hours which is rare, on my hp11 i always knew i was wearing it.

i will say this and idk, but i exhausted the battery on the nitecore last night, it was exhausted at 3.2v would only run on eco, no cri, and it went from med to eco in 1 shot, yet when i removed the battery and replaced it without charging, med came back,so idk if that was a fluke or what, i also wasn't expecting a drop from med to eco.

charge on the nitecore is slow 480ma to 500ma charge, and it took 8.3 hours to charge back up (i have a usb meter), your not charging that quickly etc, perfect for overnight though

lmk

Last edited:

SSANDERS

Newly Enlightened
i think your going to be surprised by my picture.....

https://i.imgur.com/LHh9z5B.jpg

take a guess, but the fenix is on the left, nitecore on the right, both on LOW 3 feet from a BLUE wall, so ignore the color unfortunately its the only wall i could do it on, and its off a camera phone.

based on the photo it appears my nitecore is much floodier, and much wider. color on the fenix is much warmer 100% agree. i used the nitecore about 4 hours yesterday ironcially hanging lighting in a garage, now i agree the high cri is good for dark adjusted eyes and perfect flood, but it was far too dim with other lighting on in the area.

i will be honest my fenix hp30r flood blows both of these away but it has a defused lense and 2 leds, but its like the cri on the nitecore with just a crap load of more power, the down side is the battery pack gets in the way much more then expected, unless wearing a jacket.

i did not notice wearing the nitecore after a couple hours which is rare, on my hp11 i always knew i was wearing it.

i will say this and idk, but i exhausted the battery on the nitecore last night, it was exhausted at 3.2v would only run on eco, no cri, and it went from med to eco in 1 shot, yet when i removed the battery and replaced it without charging, med came back,so idk if that was a fluke or what, i also wasn't expecting a drop from med to eco.

lmk

Yes, as I noted, my Nitecore has a much wider spill. But in practical use, I notice the defined hot spot in the middle of my vision much for than the Fenix.
Even thought the Fenix isn't as floody, and has a more intense center, I don't notice a defined hot spot "circle" when I'm outside in the dark. I'm pretty sure this is due to the OP reflector on the Fenix. I think a OP reflector would help the Nitecore a lot.