Actual Lumens readings in 6" dia. Lab Sphere IS with SC 5500 control - PART II

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Actual Lumens readings in 6" dia. Lab Sphere IS with SC 5500 control - PART II

I went to a party and mingled with many strange lights trying to entice me. Here are some of the turn on results. Only 1 light did I actually use the "peak" capture and hold feature which is far less than one second because it was a grossly underpowered P7 using 2X14500's. Its turn on current is very high and it sags fast according to its owner and from what I saw. Orange are incans. A triple P7 had the highest brightness title of the night for lights that would go into the sphere. Home made monstrosities or store bought HID's with 10 in wide bezels not included. The battery power condition was unknown since most were being played with throughout the night. That is why this list doesn't go into the full regular list, since these were not made under controlled conditions on fresh batteries and 3 full minutes of run time. But you get the idea. The surprising light of the night was the Leupold mostly because the SureFire P91 lamp is rated for 200 lumens. However with 2 fresh IMR's it pumped out an amazing 384 lumens. Didn't have a way to measure the current. Two demerits to the flashoholic who shall remain unnamed for bringing a clampmeter to the party. We retested and redid the calculations several times. Must be those danged SureFire super lumens again. The Lumens factory lamp using IMR batteries put out a very predictable 270 lumens. None of my lights got jealous while I fondled all these other lights. The Surefire E2DL I tested that night was only 145 lumens, battery condition unknown, don't know if its really representative of that light at all.

Brand/Model________Host/Model/Bezel______Mode_________Lumens__On Time
Triple P7___________UCL in Mag Host??____????__________1235.2__1 sec
Triple P7___________UCL in Mag Host??____????__________1199.7__3 sec
Welsh Allen-1185____Maglight__________3 AW C LI ION_____1042,___1 sec
MC-E 2S2P_________MiniMag no bezel______2X14500 LI______954.1__0 sec
Lambda Revo P7_____3C body______________3 NiMH_________757.4__1 sec
MC-E 2S2P_________MiniMag no bezel______2X14500 LI______714.5__1 sec
MC-E 2S2P_________MiniMag_____________2X14500 LI______639.1__1 sec
Osram O-Star_______Arcmania Super_F-V,___4 AW RCR123,___639.1__1 sec
Weedle 3 Q5________Mag head 2 C cell body__2 C Lith Ion,_____574.0__1 sec
MR-X Lux 5,________Mag body_____________6 AA NiMH______565.1__1 sec
Wolfeyes Storm Q5___Triple Q5,____________3X18650________565.1__1 sec
Malkoff P7,_________FiveMega 1 C Cell,_____1 C Lith Ion,_____417.2__1 sec
Weedle 3 Q5________Mag head 1 C cell body__1 C Lith Ion,_____399.4__1 sec
SureFire P91,_______Leupold MX121,_______2 IMR 16340_____384.6__1 sec
Malkoff P7,_________L2 size host___________1X18650,________383.1__1 sec
L.F. IMR 9,_________Surefire 6P____________2 IMR 16340,____270.7__1 sec
Arcmania__________Mega Extreme_________1 CR123________149___1 sec
SF E2DL________________________________2XCR123_______145___1 sec
Quala Rebel Tower_______________________1XRCR123______138___1 sec
Zebralight H501__________________________1 AA Alk_________84___1 sec
Zebralight H501__________________________1 AA NiMH_______70___1 sec

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Actual Lumens readings in 6" dia. Lab Sphere IS with SC 5500 control - PART II

bigchelis just stopped by the secret bunker with the latest of the latest triple P7 drop in for the SureFire M6. Bring your ultra dark radiation protection megagoggles. OTF real lumens starts at over 1700, OUCH. :bow:

He is one happy camper.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2920352&postcount=3

This is the brightest real out the front lumens Light I have seen. I have heard of the Wiseled making 1800 lumens, but I don't know if those are OTF.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

COOL! WA1185! Gman, you're the man!
Any chance of a test of wa 1185 on 3x IMR 16340?
I suppose the 1185 m6 with 3x 17670 is probably in the ball park.
Anyways, awesome, just awesome.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

COOL! WA1185! Gman, you're the man!
Any chance of a test of wa 1185 on 3x IMR 16340?
I suppose the 1185 m6 with 3x 17670 is probably in the ball park.
Anyways, awesome, just awesome.

I tested 4 WA1185 type lamps, one was with IMR 16340 type set up I believe it was a fivemega 3 cell body. It got 887.5 lumens in the first second. Remember though, don't know the state of the batteries on these. But that is pretty awesome for that. Try not to :drool:

Another one with 3 18650 got up to 1016 (battery condition unknown once again).

G

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tested 4 WA1185 type lamps, one was with IMR 16340 type set up I believe it was a fivemega 3 cell body. It got 887.5 lumens in the first second. Remember though, don't know the state of the batteries on these. But that is pretty awesome for that. Try not to :drool:

G

1185 on 16340? That's brutal (on the cells).

I suspect the 1185 on too many AA's was mine (blue 3D). 9xAA NiMH with my prototype hotwire regulator. I thought the WA1164 was slightly brighter (red 2D, 8xAA, early production DropIn PHD regulator).

If that was my red 2.5D triple P7 it is 3x AW C cells through a D2Dim. I'm charging them now - they were at about 2/3 full, or at least the first one was.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

G

I won't drool, I own one. Just wanted to see what kind of bragging rights I'm entitled to.:crackup:

1185 on 16340? That's brutal (on the cells).

I suspect the 1185 on too many AA's was mine (blue 3D). 9xAA NiMH with my prototype hotwire regulator. I thought the WA1164 was slightly brighter (red 2D, 8xAA, early production DropIn PHD regulator).

If that was my red 2.5D triple P7 it is 3x AW C cells through a D2Dim. I'm charging them now - they were at about 2/3 full, or at least the first one was.

They're within spec. Its a special chemistry, lower capacity but higher draw.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can help a little...

Alan B had a regulated 1185 build (very nice!), but I don't recall the voltage it was set to. bigchelis was running an 1185 in his M6 on 3x 17670. And, I had three 1185 builds with me (yeah, I like that bulb):

• Mag 3C w/borofloat lens, FM LOP reflector, AW soft-start switch and 3x AW Protected "C" Li-ions
  • FM Megalennium w/Surefire Millennium turbohead (stock glass & reflector), 3x AW protected 18650s and AW soft-start switch
  • FM 2x18500 Prince (borofloat lens, LOP reflector) w/3x AW IMR16340s -RyanA knows all about this one
I imagine JimH had an 1185 or two in his bag as well.

The batteries in all three of my builds were fresh off the charger (4.2V) the night before.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Hey MrGman, I don't want to be seeing any of those good for nothin', stinkin' incan lights being tested and posted in the LED section !!! :devil:

Sorry, after our last "go around" over the DEFT/Aspheric far throwing thread, I had to give ya some 'incan jazz.' Seriously, it was way cool that you brought your "box" to that west coast get together, and continue building your list.

Thanks for all your dedication and contribution to the community. Really great resource. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey MrGman, I don't want to be seeing any of those good for nothin', stinkin' incan lights being tested and posted in the LED section !!! :devil:

Sorry, after our last "go around" over the DEFT/Aspheric far throwing thread, I had to give ya some 'incan jazz.' Seriously, it was way cool that you brought your "box" to that west coast get together, and continue building your list.

Thanks for all your dedication and contribution to the community. Really great resource. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

My emergency bottle of Scotch is empty, you can help to resupply my "resources". :poke:

I wouldn't turn down a 1000 lumen incan it is a nice beam. I only post them with the LEDs to show what the ancient technology competition brings to the table, or in this case, to the sphere O truth. After all 1000 lumens is a 1000 lumens. :wow:

But I will say this. While I was testing those incans, Lawrence Livermore Lab called and said they wanted their cold fusion reactors back!!! :eek:

Battery power might be an issue. :whistle: G

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can help a little...

Alan B had a regulated 1185 build (very nice!), but I don't recall the voltage it was set to. bigchelis was running an 1185 in his M6 on 3x 17670. And, I had three 1185 builds with me (yeah, I like that bulb):

• Mag 3C w/borofloat lens, FM LOP reflector, AW soft-start switch and 3x AW Protected "C" Li-ions
  • FM Megalennium w/Surefire Millennium turbohead (stock glass & reflector), 3x AW protected 18650s and AW soft-start switch
  • FM 2x18500 Prince (borofloat lens, LOP reflector) w/3x AW IMR16340s -RyanA knows all about this one
I imagine JimH had an 1185 or two in his bag as well.

The batteries in all three of my builds were fresh off the charger (4.2V) the night before.

LOL, as soon as I saw fivemega mentioned I knew it had to be you or JayT.

LOL at the cold fusion also... If only.:hitit:
Then the saying would probably go "Guns don't kill people, if nuclear powered flashlights do the job first." or "Only you can stop CPF from starting forest fires."

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2969888&postcount=55

Some of my testing data on the Malkoff M60 in the Malkoff MD2 host comparing it to a Solarforce Host with no glass in the Bezel using batteries and also with DC supply just for grins. Enjoy.

I really like this Malkoff MD2 host with the two mode ring. It is highly functional.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2969888&postcount=55

Some of my testing data on the Malkoff M60 in the Malkoff MD2 host comparing it to a Solarforce Host with no glass in the Bezel using batteries and also with DC supply just for grins. Enjoy.

I really like this Malkoff MD2 host with the two mode ring. It is highly functional.

I was looking at the Malkoff site this week. Where is the ring located?

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

The two mode ring replaces the regular aluminum ring that holds the module in tight inside the bezel or head of the MD2 flashlight. It screws into the threads in the back of the head of the flashlight and holds that Malkoff LED module in there very nice and snug. Turning the entire head assembly less than a quarter of a turn causes the output to shift high to low and vice versa. Very handy. G.

strinq

Enlightened

Hi MrGman, was wondering if you have readings for the M2XC4 as you included it in your beamshots. Cheers.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi MrGman, was wondering if you have readings for the M2XC4 as you included it in your beamshots. Cheers.

That was wbp's M2XC4 that he was evaluating and I helped him take the photos. He measured it in his 16" sphere at 685 lumens and said it was dropping from there. So Those numbers sound about right. I was hoping to take numbers of all 3 of the new EagleTac M2 series lights but now I am losing interest.

Patriot

Flashaholic

I was hoping to take numbers of all 3 of the new EagleTac M2 series lights but now I am losing interest.

....because of certain negative points about the lights or just because you've spent a lot of time with them lately. I ask because I thought I was close to
picking one up.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

....because of certain negative points about the lights or just because you've spent a lot of time with them lately. I ask because I thought I was close to
picking one up.

Because of all the totally over the top nitpicking about this and that of all these 600 plus lumens lights that people would have totally killed for 5 years ago, and now the rotation of the switch just isn't right, or its front heavy or the low mode just isn't low enough.

I can carry 470 lumens in my Malkoff MD2 in my front pocket and it has 1 low mode, no stupid strobe, no really stupid SOS. No hitting the button 12 times to get back to high, no figuring out how far to turn the ring and oops I overshot turbo now I am in strobe. Just tired of all of it. Buy the light, be happy, don't assume it will save you from alien attack.

strinq

Enlightened

I was hoping to take numbers of all 3 of the new EagleTac M2 series lights but now I am losing interest.

I think a lot of people here would love for you to do so. :) So on behalf of them, please don't lose the interest in taking the readings for all 3 lights.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think a lot of people here would love for you to do so. :) So on behalf of them, please don't lose the interest in taking the readings for all 3 lights.

I have asked for people to send them who had them for testing, dropping my normal pizza payment requirement. I have had Zero response. I have no intention of buying these 3 flashlights simply for test purposes. G

strinq

Enlightened

Oh shucks. Too bad I'm not from where you are. But thanks for all the effort so far. Cheers.