What is your overall experience with Nitecore products?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lightly-used Nitecore EC23 wouldn't turn on yesterday. Put in freshly-charged Nitecore batteries (tried several), checked/cleaned the contacts, firmly screwed on the head and tailcap, and still nothing.

I am about to give up on Nitecore, and wonder if I should have walked away before. What has been your experience with Nitecore lights?

I've purchased and given away many Nitecore keychain lights, and only the Tube seems to be a decent, reliable light. The Tips and Tinis have often died and/or malfunctioned in some way in fairly short periods of time. (Gift recipients must think these are $1 throwaway lights!?!)

Then there was the TM06S--at max 4K lumens, one of the brightest for its size at the time. Worked great for maybe a year, then I noticed that one of the four LEDs would not go on at lower lumen levels (but worked on high!). Then the batteries would run down really quickly--I think the light developed a parasitic drain. I also purchased one of the better Nitecore battery chargers, and that went down in about a year after light use.

Nitecore has some really nice, bright and seemingly innovative lights, etc., but unless they can improve on reliability, I will stay away. OR have I just been UNlucky with my Nitecore lights? What say you? Thanks in advance for any replies.

hsa

Enlightened
I only have one. A Nitecore New P-30. It has worked perfectly and is exactly what I wanted and expected it to be. It is coming up on 4 years of use now. It has a 21700 battery and I like those too.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Overall: Terribly poor and very unreliable flashlights.

Having said that though.... I just recently bought a Nitecore MH12S. 1800 lumens variation w/ checkered tailcap. (There are so many variations of the MH12 designation in Nitecore's line-up. No clue why they do that.) Their old Tube is one of the best rechargeable keychain lights in existence! Their TIP is garbage though. Had mine literally fall apart in my hands with the buttons popping out! Yeah, couldn't get them back in. Avoid any keychain-sized Nitecore flashlights that have more than one button.

Their bigger lights? If you find one made by a competitor that does the same job as one of theirs.' For example from Fenix, Thrunite, or JetBeam; you're usually better off buying from those competitors. Not Klarus though. You'll want to avoid that particular brand (speaking from experience). Learned that lesson the hard way. With Olight models that have a magnetic tailcap, I've seen issues with their magnetic, proprietary charging. So I stay away from those. Though I do have a couple of older Olight models that come with rubber tailcap switches and no magnetic charging.

Nitecore handheld lights, you have to be VERY selective. They all have a very similar look. But other than appearance, they can be incredibly different! Before I bought the MH12S, I was seriously looking at their P10ix model. Again, very similar looking flashlight. Even right around the same price. But the P10ix is rated at 4000 lumens over the MH12S 1800 lumens. Thing is though.... That 4000 lumens is all flood! It is pathetic how far that beam reaches out. The 1800 lumens from the MH12S is a good combination of flood and throw. Easily reaches out much further compared to the P10ix model. Also, the P10ix requires a proprietary Nitecore battery. The MH12S does not.

Years from now, instead of desperately trying to track down that proprietary battery for the P10ix; I can put literally any 21700 battery into my MH12S and it'll work reliably. Yes, you can buy extra proprietary batts. for the P10ix model, now. But they are pricey! And, years from now, they'll be old and unreliable just like the battery that came with the light. Ten years from now, I can put any 21700 battery (from any brand) that will be made a decade in the future, and my MH12S is going to work reliably.

Nitecore's accessories? They can be a bit hit or miss. But generally worth it. Their line of tactical pens for example are all solid choices and work decently just as EDC pens too. Their charging accessories, are generally worth it. But overall with Nitecore, realize you are taking a risk when it comes to reliability. With only certain models being drop-dead reliable. (Such as the Nitecore Tube.)

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I own two Nitecore lights and the lights themselves have held up just fine but each has also had some draw backs.

The P20UV V1- I carried this light for years while working in nightclubs. The UV leds did illuminate the anti counterfeit strips on ID's and our money. The form factor was very similar to that of a 6P or G2 so many of the aftermarket cases will fit this light. Being the original version it had a rather annoying paddle switch that triggered the strobe mode. Every time you tried to use the light you would accidentally turn on strobe mode. I quickly removed that paddle and the light was much more user friendly. This seems to have been fixed on the newer models thought. The holder that came with it was ok but the nylon quickly began to become "fuzzy" with wear although to this day it is still functional.

The original MH12- The light worked great for everything I wanted it to do. I still carry it almost daily. I has been charged 100's of times and the original battery still works fine. Like the P20uv, the supplied holster was just ok, I ended up applying a flexible epoxy to the bottom of the holster to prolong its life. The nylon has become quite fuzzy as well. The biggest draw back on this light was the cover for the USB port. It popped open ever time I used the light. It did ship with an extra cover but still had the same problem. When I emailed customer service about it I was told to "remove the cover and apply silicone or epoxy over the port then recharge the battery outside of the light". I ended up epoxying over the port since I wanted the light to be more water resistant since I am frequently working in the rain.

I do have a 2 cell charger, I dont remember the model number right now but I have had no problems with it in the last 4 years.

cyberhobo

Enlightened
My two cents.

Decent flashlight, I own four of which include the P30i, New P30, MH20GT and the MT10C. They've been dependable in the years that I have owned them. However, I do feel Nitecore is somewhat overpriced (especially their batteries) and I stay far away from their chargers. The weak point on many of their chargers is the micro USB power port. The ports seem to degrade and won't hold the power cable without fiddling around with it to re-establish a connection. Sometimes, they fail completey.

Recently, I purchased one of their CI4 charger which claims to have reverse polarity protection. I mistakenly inserted one of their 21700 cells in backwards and smoked the charger. Poof! If find it pretty low-down that the Nitecore Store only posts the reviews that they like.

Attachments

• IMG_3366.jpeg
    IMG_3366.jpeg
    773.2 KB · Views: 67

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just a follow-up....

I do have the Nitecore Ul1 and the Nitecore Ul2 chargers.
Both have been extremely reliable. Both can charge up literally any rechargeable battery that will fit in their bays. That's something MOST chargers simply cannot do. But yes, wish Nitecore would update them to be USB-C instead of USB-micro. I've found that if there's an issue, it's usually the USB micro charging cable that's the culprit.

Also, I'd advise avoiding any Nitecore model with the letter i in its model designation. Literally learned this a couple of days ago. That lower case "i" means the flashlight will only work with a proprietary Nitecore battery ONLY! Avoid at all costs if you plan on using your Nitecore flashlight for longer than a handful of years.

I have had a Nitecore SRT7 for several years now and found it very reliable. Also a highly versatile light once you learn the ring-selector. I also have two very old now Nitecore Defender Infinity (NDI) lights. There are legendary lights which generated much enthusiasm in this forum many year ago. I still use them and have found them ultra-reliable.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
I have a Nitecore MH20 (18650) which seems Ok but I don't like the interface. If you hold the button down for a fraction too long you end up having to go through strobe to get to where you want to be. I have other torches that don't have this drawback. Also I have concerns about the charging port cover but so far it has not failed on me. In fact the only torch that has actually failed was a Zebralight (CR123A) that would apparently fail after 10 minutes on high. I gave it away.

I also have the Nitecore LA10 and LR12 lanterns. They don't get much use but I do like them.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I've had the Nitecore D2 charger since around 2016. Paid around $20 for it and have had no issues. Have had some of their 18650 cells too, and they're still going strong. Haven't had any of their lights.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I have and use an MT10C, a Tip, a Thumb, and two Tubes. All have been great lights and are are still going strong! I've really been looing at an MT1A, but it doesn't really do anything better or different from my Streamlight 1L-1AA so I can't justify spending the $$$.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
No issues with either the Nitecore smart charger or 14500 high discharge battery I use, I don't own any of their torch products 😉

BattleBrat

Newly Enlightened
My lightly-used Nitecore EC23 wouldn't turn on yesterday. Put in freshly-charged Nitecore batteries (tried several), checked/cleaned the contacts, firmly screwed on the head and tailcap, and still nothing.

I am about to give up on Nitecore, and wonder if I should have walked away before. What has been your experience with Nitecore lights?

I've purchased and given away many Nitecore keychain lights, and only the Tube seems to be a decent, reliable light. The Tips and Tinis have often died and/or malfunctioned in some way in fairly short periods of time. (Gift recipients must think these are $1 throwaway lights!?!)

Then there was the TM06S--at max 4K lumens, one of the brightest for its size at the time. Worked great for maybe a year, then I noticed that one of the four LEDs would not go on at lower lumen levels (but worked on high!). Then the batteries would run down really quickly--I think the light developed a parasitic drain. I also purchased one of the better Nitecore battery chargers, and that went down in about a year after light use.

Nitecore has some really nice, bright and seemingly innovative lights, etc., but unless they can improve on reliability, I will stay away. OR have I just been UNlucky with my Nitecore lights? What say you? Thanks in advance for any replies.
I'm normally an American light guy, but I like Nitecore. I use a MT10A on my job as a mechanic, it has survived many a drops onto concrete.

Falcon9h

Newly Enlightened
In a word: too expensive. I have the original tiny monster, forget the model #, and what a pain in the *** because I had to use coins as spacers for the batteries. So they're mothballed for real lights that I don't have to hack to make work.

sonofjesse

Newly Enlightened
I have had good luck. I own several, and have bought/sold (when I got tired of one) several as well. No issues.

I rarely have issues with flashlights.

vincent3685

Newly Enlightened
I have a MH20 that keeps malfunctioning. Sometimes I have to loosen and then tighten the head to get it to turn on. It also sometimes won't turn off by pressing the button. It will just change the brightness levels. Doesn't matter if I half press or full press. I've tried playing with the half press location beacon/ strobe/SOS mode and the standby/power indicator. Seems to have a mind of its own. Cannot depend on this light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a MH20 that keeps malfunctioning. Sometimes I have to loosen and then tighten the head to get it to turn on. It also sometimes won't turn off by pressing the button. It will just change the brightness levels. Doesn't matter if I half press or full press. I've tried playing with the half press location beacon/ strobe/SOS mode and the standby/power indicator. Seems to have a mind of its own. Cannot depend on this light.
Sadly, must admit that my MH12S has started acting up a bit. Not to the point of being unreliable. But worse than it was initially. Too bad. Other than the clip being garbage, I really liked the light.

Bob Jones

Newly Enlightened
I bought three P30i flashlights recently including as gifts. So far they are working well, but have only had them a few weeks so can't help you much on assessing longevity.

On performance however, the Nitecore rates the P30i accurately at 2000 lumens in my (subjective) opinion. For comparison, I bought a Juno-P from MF Tactical (rated 2500 lumens) and Seeker 4 by Olight (rated 4600 lumens). Although rated lower in lumens, the Nitecore vastly outperformed the other 2 in throw, and keep in mind that I paid extra for the special lens for the Juno promising excellent throw. The controls on the Nitecore seemed more intuitive as well.

In terms of service, the return process for the Olight flashlights was excellent. I highly recommend them for an efficient return when needed. On the other hand, stay far away from MF Tactical (aka Monster.com, aka FlashlightFreak). I thought the USA-built flashlights would suggest high quality and great service, but I could not have been more wrong. To get my money credited back to my card, I was forced to pay (a) my shipping to return the items (understandable), (b) a refund of the "free shipping" for the original products (questionable), and (c) a $60 restocking fee (ridiculous for returning 3 flashlights to the shelf). I haven't dealt with Nitecore yet, so can't compare on this dimension.