What is your overall experience with Nitecore products?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had good experiences with Nitecore, of the 16 models that I owned over the years.
I had one of the early D10 with the tritium slot tailcap. The plunger tube metal tailcap, somehow caused a higher than normal parasitic drain. The other could have been my fault, it had a rotary brightness by the tailcap. I forget the model but it fell off the shelf at 6 feet and stopped working.
I'm really enjoying the new edc33 though it sure gets hot fast on lumenshield mode, though I guess it's only meant for short bursts

tonkem

Enlightened
I have 4 Nitecore lights. MH10s, MH12s, MH25s, and an older model that was UV only. All lights are reliable, never had any issues with them. My primary EDC is a Zebralight SC63 CW, and I do also use the Olight Marauder Mini from time to time without issue. The MH12s is the go to light for most dog walk nights. Excellent combination of flood and throw in a small package, that I can use 21700's or 18650's in, with an adapter. I don't hesitate to recommend Nitecore.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had scores of Nitecore lights. The majority of them were fantastic. In the beginning of NC they cranked out some pretty iffy lights. Fast forward 12 years and NC is cranking out world class lights. Form function to form reliably. The new gen NC's are amazing. Fenix holds as the better Chinese flashlights like NC. That being said NC is currently offering a world class light catalog.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I've always liked Nitecore lights and I have many of them, only ever had issues with the batteries. Just about every Nitecore battery I've owned becomes unchangeable if you discharge them to low, they are supposed to have a protection circuit that shuts them down once they reach minimal voltage. So far none have ever been rechargeable once they shut down. I recommend running Olight batteries in all lights just my opinion. The flashlights themselves are tanks. I've used and abused them for work and they just keep working. I love them for work use.

Bob Jones

Newly Enlightened
Another thing I liked about the Nitecore p30i flashlights I ordered was the packaging. It wouldn't matter for me, but these were gifts, and the packaging was really sharp and gave the impression of an expensive product.

Packaging for the Olight Seek 4 (which I tried first) was fine but nothing special, while packaging for the MF Tactical (monster.com) (which I tired second) was just a simple box no larger than the flashlight. It looked cheap--definitely would not recommend it if buying as a gift.

I agree with whoever said the older Nitecores were not high quality, as that had been my experience as well. But I have been pleased with these newer versions.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only had one Nitecore light, an old MT21A, and it's been great. It's lived a somewhat pampered life, but still works like brand new, and never had a problem. I run it on a pair of super old Eneloops which still handles the turbo mode.

I really like the dual UI where you can scroll through modes w/memory, but when you tighten the barrel it becomes a turbo only, tactical on/off with forward clicky and momentary. Same UI as my Armytek Viking Pro (XP-L version).

All in all, I can't really remember much in the way of bad talk about Nitecore. I may have missed some but most I've seen is positive. They've really put out many great models even going way back.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've had a good experience with Nitecore. For the past few years I've always had a Tiki LE in my pocket. My overall favorite light might be an old D11 V.2. And, I regularly use an I4 Pro Intellicharger.

Geoff

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I am often comparing Fenix and Nitecore, and my impression based on the few Nitecore lights and the many Fenix lights that I have is that those two brands is about the same, with a couple small differences:
- Fenix build quality is a bit better (at least it feels that way to me).
- Nitecore lights are a bit more powerful.

While I prefer Fenix for their overall better thermal solutions (and I prefer runtime over sheer output power), I have not had any issues with any of the Nitecore lights that I have owned.

The few issues I have had with Nitecore lights are due to the construction design (like the HC90 is way too front heavy), but never with anything failing or breaking.

I wish most companies would put more effort into installing nicer LEDs in their products.
My guess would be the highly unimpressive Lumen-race. Why have good CRI and much better thermal performance when you can have OVER 9000(!!!) überLumens!?!?!
Damn shame, really. Something like a Fenix PD35 or E35 with a Nichia 519A or E21A would have been the dream.

Sadly, custom lights got their downsides too - every single custom light that I have bought or seen ALL either are or looks to be thermally deficient; way too much power in a way too small body.
I don't care about a mini-light that can do 7000 Lumens if I can cook dinner on the lens after 40 seconds (my newly aquired Sofirn Q8 Plus did not disappoint there...). Where are the oversized aluminium heads that is actually needed for proper cooling of these things!? That is something I would happily pay a premium for!

I would have loved to have an emitter swap / HCRI upgrade in my Fenix TK76. Have sadly come to terms with the fact that my brain does not understand electronics, but I would gladly pay someone else to do it.

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The older Tube lights were great. When I lost my first one, I got a new one. Plastic crumbled away. Same thing for a Thumb. My last Tube went into strobe mode (it doesn't have one). A TINI developed a bad battery after a few months. Now for the cherry on top, my EA41 just went dead. While I have some good lights from them (TIP original series for one) I will not consider new lights.

YAK-28

Enlightened
nice lights, i have 15 of their lights and the only issue i have is with an ld 40, that the batteries leaked and only works on one level now.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have more than a dozen of 2022 to 2024 Nitecore flashlights.
None has given up on me.
Of all Chinese manufacturers, Nitecore is the one which iterates faster and, for some of their models, they introduce a new version every year. Sometime thought, just like with Apple iPhones, the new model has just some minor incremental improvements.
Of all Chinese brands, Nitecore is the brand that applies the biggest engineering safety coefficients, followed by Fenix.
An example of safety coefficient is the peak working voltage of a capacitor. If the capacitor usual operate with 18 Volts across it, any designer would use a 20 Volt capacitor, while in a Nitecore I expect to see a 25 Volt capacitor.
In modern flashlight, the other very important number is the Vds(max) of the output MOSFET.
One of the feature of Nitecore flashlights is the thermal throttling they apply to their lights. By many, it is deemed eccessive. By a design engineer, it is considered just right - so to ensure that the 50,000 hours LED lifetime remains true, and no delamination (phosphors detaching from the InGaN die) occur before then.
So, while I praise Nitecore for their true-to-form way of engineering their flashlights, other trash the brand for exactly the same reason: brightness drops too early.
In my view, the Chinese flashlight manufacturers have collectively shoot themselves in the feet: by advertising and trumpeting 5,000 - 10,000 - 21,000 lumens flashlights, printing it prominently on the boxes and on web adverts, common people have come to expect too much of a pocketable light. Their P20iX is a wonderful lighting tool, but the way it is sold and advertised is dislikeable. It is not a 4,000 lumens floodlight, it is a outstanding 1,000 lumens light! People on YouTube checking how many seconds of "Turbo" their light is capable of. Sneeze.
I needed a very good dual beam search/flood light, so I bought a Fenix LR60R (kinda dear), and Fenix sell It as a 21,000 lumens flashlight! It is a outstanding 4,000 lumens light, which is more than honourable in my view.
Why SF and Maglite don't use peak lumens to sell their lights? People who understand flashlights don't consider peak lumens a measure of quality.
Regards
Anthony

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ray_of_Light, that is a remarkable post.
Could I respectfully ask if you have any pictures or convincing evidence demonstrating that Nitecore uses higher rated electronics than other manufacturers? You sound believable but it would help all of us to be more confident in what you say. Of course you may not want to take the time showing us their MOSFET/capacitor designations with suitable explanation.

You have been here a long time and we very much appreciate your input.

Once again, my overall experience with Nitecore's more expensive products has been positive, but the lower price, small Nitecore flashlights do not last as long as I think they should. A few of them were faulty from the get-go.

buds224

Enlightened
I have a nitecore light (P25 Smilidon) where the micro USB port failed. I have the P20ix which I love for brute lumen use (USBc port is still good to go); so I do like that one. I also have a headlamp (NU35) I got from them that I really like.

Now the really ugly......I got the carbon fibre 20000mah battery bank that is now expanding, so I got rid of that.

I also got the Blower Baby, and the internal fan shattered and shot all the debris out of the front end. Luckily, I was just cleaning the outside of my camera. Had I been using it to clean my camera's sensor, that would have been catastrophic. I brought the issue to up to Nitecore and they never took my request seriously. Just kept asking questions about what happened and we never got to what they could for me.

Overall, not my favorite company, but they do make some cool things.