Any Experience with Pelican Correct Color?

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
Every once in a while, I go looking for high CRI or warm tint lights. I stumbled upon these and never heard of them. Does anyone have experience with any of these Pelican Correct Color lights?

I'd be especially interested to know:

1. Are they good?

2. What is the color temperature? How is the tint?

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/discover/correct-color-lights/

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 3410MCC, it seems brighter than what I would expect for 484 lumens and construction is what I thought I would get from Pelican.The UI is OK but not endearing to me,it allows the use of just the reflectored LED or just the flood or both together. The ability to use both LEDs really provides a useful beam. Color rendition seems fine but I haven't done a lot of comparison and am usually ok with typical neutrals.

Be aware it is very WARM tinted,like incandescent warm. My Malkoff M31 Warm looks like a neutral in comparison.I was a little shocked when I first lit it up but it has grown on me now since I have used it a bit.

Last edited:

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
ZMZ67 wasn't kidding about the warmth. I contacted Pelican for more information. Here is the relevant portion of the response. They also gave me contact info for someone else on staff who might be better able to answer my questions. I reached out. I'll let you all know when I get more information. This could be an exciting find!

"... Pelican offers the following lights in a Color Corrected Version:

3310CC, 3315CC, 3410CC, 3415MCC

The LED's we use are a special make up using a higher concentration of red phosphor.

The color temperature is 2700K. ..."

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wondered what the color temperature was but don't remember seeing it listed,thanks for the info.! I think the Pelican lights are interesting and useful but I know they are not going to be everybody's cup of tea due to the color temperature. I am a little surprised no one else has responded to this thread though.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
The 3310CC is more up my alley but I decided to try the deluxe 3410CC. It has all the bells and whistles for around $40 and I was feeling skeptical. This is only my initial impressions here but I'm pleasantly surprised.

This is an extremely versatile flashlight. I think I understand what ZMZ67 was getting at with the UI. This flashlight has ten modes between two LEDs and it's controlled with a single button. It has H-M-L in spot, flood, or both; and a blinking mode in spot only. I understand why some people like to start in high mode but I prefer starting in low. Part of that is because most of my flashlight use is EDC stuff. This is really a utility flashlight.

The head can be rotated ninety degrees or a bunch of places in between. It has a clip for carrying around, as well as a key ring and a lanyard. The clip has a magnet that sticks very well to appropriate metal surfaces. This means that it can be hung or mounted in all sorts of places and can provide different kinds of lighting for extended project use. Then it can just as easily go on a walk through the woods at night.

Speaking of light and the woods, this flashlight is a rock star. It's 2700K and 90+ CRI according to the manufacturer. The diverse greens, tree barks, etc. of the forest really pop! This helps the spot reach out into the woods a little too.

Shining spot mode against a white wall, there is some color variation in the beam pattern. I thought that was a flaw at first but the more I used this light, it helped provoke nostalgia for the variance of incandescent bulbs. I didn't notice it in a woodland setting but I'm wondering if it made a background contribution to the liveliness of the visual picture.

This looks like its going to be an excellent general purpose flashlight. There's just so much that it can do. There might be other flashlights that do specific things better but this is probably the most versatile flashlight I've seen IRL. It should excel as project lighting. For "normal people" who don't collect flashlights, this could be a great primary flashlight for around the house, at camp, a garage, a workshop, etc.

That said, this definitely isn't an EDC light. For a regular walk at night, I'm still going to reach for a more straightforward flashlight with a simpler UI. Based on my positive experiences here, I think the 3310CC might be a contender for that.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3310CC looks like a nice emergency light. I wonder if they'll ever make CC versions of their pen lights?

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
The 3310CC looks like a nice emergency light. I wonder if they'll ever make CC versions of their pen lights?

Some of the lights in this series seem to be marketed as safety/emergency lights. Notice that the yellow-bodied ones are safety rated and have much simpler mode setups. Just a guess, but it looks like the yellow models might have been optimized for battery life and random untrained users.

For instance, the 3310CC gets a 283 Lumen high for 8 hours and a 31 Lumen low for 175 hours. That's pretty good but might not be optimal for random people who assume "one press for on" in an extended emergency. The yellow 3315CC has a single 135-Lumen mode that is supposed to run for 16.5 hours. (The fact that these work out to one versus two 8-hour work shifts is not lost on me.)

BTW, if my interest here doesn't give me away, I wish all flashlights were available in warm high-CRI versions. =P

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the lights in this series seem to be marketed as safety/emergency lights. Notice that the yellow-bodied ones are safety rated and have much simpler mode setups. Just a guess, but it looks like the yellow models might have been optimized for battery life and random untrained users.

For instance, the 3310CC gets a 283 Lumen high for 8 hours and a 31 Lumen low for 175 hours. That's pretty good but might not be optimal for random people who assume "one press for on" in an extended emergency. The yellow 3315CC has a single 135-Lumen mode that is supposed to run for 16.5 hours. (The fact that these work out to one versus two 8-hour work shifts is not lost on me.)

BTW, if my interest here doesn't give me away, I wish all flashlights were available in warm high-CRI versions. =P

It's too bad each model is available in 1 color, otherwise the 3315CC would be pretty appealing to me with the GITD body.