Any HDS Twisty News?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this light is programmable by Henry, and it doesn't ship with the ability of the paying user to set the levels to his/her own requirements, it is really just **crippled** right out of the box. Why should the ultimate user just accept Henry's own preferences, right or wrong, as their own?

You're kidding, right? With very few exceptions, every light comes "crippled", as you describe. :ohgeez:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The levels had to be programmed somehow wouldn't it have? I don't see how gaining programmable access (be it 10 or 100 twist combinations) would detract from it's normal everyday simplicity. Henry has stated that the light already has more than just the three light levels programmed into it. For example, when the light steps down due to low battery form 100 lumens, it will not step down to 17 lumens. IIRC Henry wrote the it would step down to about 50 lumens so even though it is a simple interface it already has some inherent complexity. I would not mind if there was a way to reprogram it for this reason. For me, if programming is possible because of the way the light was made then I wouldn't mind taking advantage of it but if there is no possibility then that's fine as well. Just my $0.02. :)

Easy answer: because I can accidently access a menu and mess everything up. because I have to remember the menu is there and how to reset the light, in case something goes wrong. Because the person that uses the light other than me might do the same and be even more puzzled than I am by a menu.

This would not be KISS, it would not be safe no-brainer operation, it would not be for me. But that is just me, of course.
If it will be programmable, this saves me some $$ :D

bernie

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Easy answer: because I can accidently access a menu and mess everything up. because I have to remember the menu is there and how to reset the light, in case something goes wrong. Because the person that uses the light other than me might do the same and be even more puzzled than I am by a menu.

This would not be KISS, it would not be safe no-brainer operation, it would not be for me. But that is just me, of course.

bernie

I hear you Bernie. It would be a hassle to hand it to someone and then maybe get it back in options mode. I do understand what you mean about KISS after all my favourite light is still my PD-S. It's just that because the potential is there I wouldn't mind being able to. When I got my PD and PD-S I knew that there was no potential and I was and still am very happy. I guess the techno geek in me comes out if there is even a hint of programmability. I hope it is not programmable so your wallet can shed some weight:nana:I'll be happy if it is not and I'm sure you will be too. Cheers!

paxxus

Enlightened

bernie
I believe the EDC-B60 and B42 lights were around for years without anybody accidentally entering the menu ;)

I'm somewhat puzzled by the idea that a programmable light automatically makes it less easy to use - it depends entirely on how the programmability is implemented. If done right you'll never notice it's there if you don't need it. Also, the Twisty is micro-processor controlled already. It's not like it somehow makes the microprocessor operation more robust by executing the same fixed programming over and over, that's just not how digital electronics work.

Anyway, about the Twisty: :candle:

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I have never entered the menu mode accidentially, but I was just reading about members giving kids flashlights or letting them use their own lights. I can picture some 5 or 6 year-old clicking 10 times just for the fun of it. Next thing you know your light is flashing SOS. I doubt it would happen much, but some kids have a way of figuring things out.

Either way, I want to try out Henry's newest creation. I've got a very good feeling about this light.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
:party:No problum mahn! Da Partah stay goin on mon!:party:

I'm in no hurry I just want the light to be ok when I get it, so I don't have to send it back in for fixin ye hear;)

Mayo

Cool Runnings!

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Willing as I am to wait for the light to be ready, an update would be nice.

Regards,
Tempest

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the switching work? Does it rely on the aluminum threads as other flashlights that have a twistie switch? Because the threads get dirty by time and aluminum wears out...

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
How does the switching work? Does it rely on the aluminum threads as other flashlights that have a twistie switch? Because the threads get dirty by time and aluminum wears out...

I agree. The contacts wearing on the battery ends also causes problems (the one fault with every one of my Peak lights).

However, Henry made mention of some very special lubricant that he is using in the Twisty (and said that some will be included with every light). Going to be interesting to see how the Twisty holds up (trying very hard to not make some sort of "comment" about when they may arrive)

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only if they have multiple levels which are arbitrarily set.
VS MIN MAX and MID.

So a minimum of 3,4,5,6,7 LUMEN? a mid of 30 35 40 45 50 Lumen? a max 100 That's the max right?
OK so how much latitude is there? How much is needed?

So if the levels are 3 50 and 100 how much different will 3 40 and 100 be?

Crippled? I don't know.
I suppose that if you buy a 3 level light which are not adjustable then you are just sort of stuck with it.
If you want or need something different you may have to go into the business yourself.
An update would be nice. But the old axiom It will be done when it's is done is true here. All the crying, whining and yelling and screaming will not speed things up. You can be sure that Henry wants to get this thing out into the wild asap. But if it is not ready then it just isn't ready.
Whatever.
Yaesumofo

You're kidding, right? With very few exceptions, every light comes "crippled", as you describe. :ohgeez:

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The contacts wearing on the battery ends also causes problems (the one fault with every one of my Peak lights).
The battery contact problem might be less serious in the new Ra light, it looks like it has spring contacts on both ends - thus mainting a very good contact even if there is some wear on the material (because the springs will push against the battery). At least from what I can see on this picture (part 11 and 13):
TwistySeeThrough.jpg

I am getting somewhat excited over the new Ra flashlight. I don't like the looks of it, but function and reliability comes first. It's not my price range, but I guess I can sell my Nitecore on CPFMP and save some money? :)

Someone mentioned a white+red LED is used in the Ra-70 line. Does the Ra-70-Tw use the same LED as Ra-70-Tr? The HDS website mentions that only the Ra-70-Tr has a red low output mode.

BytorJr

Newly Enlightened
Wow, poor Henry; this thread has become brutal.

I know I've commented before in this thread but some things kind of irritate me on how it's going for the "programability" of this new beast:
1) Henry never said it was going to be programmable, so why start carping about it so soon before release?

2) Why isn't their more consternation against Surefire for "arbitrarily" picking the levels of the E1B, et al?

My point is, are we truly giving Henry any credit here...at least in the last 2 or 3 pages of posts? Seems not. Heck, at this rate, if I were Henry I'd be starting to get a little crabby.

Just my 0.02.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok ok, guys.
I just received an email regarding these HDS Twistys.

Kevin said, "It's my understanding that these lights are on route to us"

Let's hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.