Any recommendations for KeepPower RCR123

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
I am planning to switch from CR123 to RCR123 for my Olight S1 and my Nitecore EC1

Looking at using KeepPower RCR123

Anyone else here has used them and will you recommend them

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're probably as good as any of the others, save for AW.

I use red AW IMR 16340s which don't have a protection circuit, but do very well with the >1.5A draws of my small lights and they last very long compared to some others that I've tried, like Soshine and Kinoko.

I do use the protected black AW ICR 16340s in my lower drain lights and they've lasted for over 3 years. They're getting tougher to find, however, from what I've read here.

Chris

akhyar

Enlightened
The protected Keeppower 16340 is a tad long for use inside S1.
It's about 1-2mm longer than the standard CR123 and while the spring inside the S1 can accomodate the extra length, it can be a finicky to screw down the tail cap.

I ended up using back my 3-year old AW Protected 16340 inside my S1 while delegating the Keeppower for other flashlight.
I will not hesitate to recommend the AW if you can still find them

Last edited:

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Hi thanks for your reply, yes I can get the AW batteries here in Australia and off EBay, they sell for $22.95 including free postage as well. Now the KeepPower are 700mAh but the AW has 750mAh so would this mean the AW's are slightly larger. Also do you know what cells do AW's use.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi thanks for your reply, yes I can get the AW batteries here in Australia and off EBay, they sell for $22.95 including free postage as well. Now the KeepPower are 700mAh but the AW has 750mAh so would this mean the AW's are slightly larger. Also do you know what cells do AW's use.

$23 AUS $ for one cell? That's about $16+ US per cell.

I'd pass and get what you can get for cheaper.

I'm paying $6.70 US shipped for a single AW IMR 16340 and maybe a tad more for the ICR protected black AW. The US $ and the AUS $ aren't all that far apart: 1 US $ = $1.38 AUS, at close today.

Don't pay attention to what's written on the label. They're not 750mAh and they're not 650mAh, they're closer to 500mAh-600mAh at a 1A+ drain.

Good luck.

Chris

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry bit out of topic here but have you tried the Nitecore RCR's thanks

No, I've given up buying non-AW 16340 cells. I've tried Soshine ICRs, Kinoko IMRs and I'm done with those. I did buy an Efest IMR 16340 when I bought 4 new AW IMRs, but it's too soon to tell if the Efest is the equal of the AWs.

I would think that if you don't expect them to last 3+ years, or to handle 2A, as found on some powerful smaller lights, you'd be OK with the NiteCores.

For me, I'm done fiddling with anything but AW and then I'm basically using Andrew's IMR chemistry, so when my black ICRs are done, the lights get the IMRs.

We don't buy 16340 lights for runtime. We buy them because, for their size, they put out a lot of light, at the expense of runtime.

Carry spares, as they don't take up much room, if you use your light a lot.

Chris

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
$23 AUS $ for one cell? That's about $16+ US per cell.

I'd pass and get what you can get for cheaper.

I'm paying $6.70 US shipped for a single AW IMR 16340 and maybe a tad more for the ICR protected black AW. The US $ and the AUS $ aren't all that far apart: 1 US $ = $1.38 AUS, at close today.

Don't pay attention to what's written on the label. They're not 750mAh and they're not 650mAh, they're closer to 500mAh-600mAh at a 1A+ drain.

Good luck.

Chris
No the cost is for two batteries not one

Latest posts