Anyone else tried meatless burgers yet?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Disclaimer:: I'm not a vegetarian (nor do I play one on TV)..:laughing:
being the kind of guy who waits for Angus chuck roast to go on sale & have my butcher grind it for me.

Seriously though, one only needs the amount of protein in two egg whites to maintain the body daily,
and you can get that protein from many places.

Soy beans are the only plant that has complete protein, otherwise you have to combine grains ect. to get that 'complete protein'.

Before people get way turned around on this subject, go have a great slice of pizza,, regardless of what toppings you like.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
+

Soy beans are the only plant that has complete protein, otherwise you have to combine grains ect. to get that 'complete protein'.

Correct. Otherwise you need to combine grains with legumes to get all of the amino acids. I eat a lot of soy based things, partly because it's simpler then trying to get the right mix of nutrients from other things.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
+

Disclaimer:: I'm not a vegetarian (nor do I play one on TV)..:laughing:
being the kind of guy who waits for Angus chuck roast to go on sale & have my butcher grind it for me.

Seriously though, one only needs the amount of protein in two egg whites to maintain the body daily,
and you can get that protein from many places.

Before people get way turned around on this subject, go have a great slice of pizza,, regardless of what toppings you like.

Great slice of pizza?? Well, not a problem for me considering where I live. Other members might have issues scoring a great slice of the stuff. :D

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of my favorite meals is a good cheeseburger. I might have seven a year. Fastfood? Hardly ever. Just don't want 18 year olds making minium wage touching my food.

TXcCpWa.jpg

This is a Patty Melt, sir. This is better than, but not, a hamburger.

And as a hamburger connoisseur, I think BK bad experiences are bad BK restaurants. Like all lower tier fast food, there can be higher and lower quality locations. Bad McDonalds versus good...that's a real thing.

The Impossible burger is awesome when put into the context of the BK menu.

The flavor and texture are closer than ever.

Meat will always taste like meat, too.

Hey, meat eaters: What if someone from Norway told you that whale meat tastes like sirloin steak...only 1000x better. Guess what? It's true.

There are other reasons to be thoughtful about what you eat besides taste and tradition.

obi

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i always wondered who are they making these fakeburgers for? those who want a burger wont buy this fake, maybe only to try it out, vegetarians and vegans dio not need their food to look like something they do not eat, why would they? even bigger question how much crap is in that fakeburger, to make it taste like a real one, it may be more harmful to your health than a real one,

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hey, meat eaters: What if someone from Norway told you that whale meat tastes like sirloin steak...only 1000x better. Guess what? It's true.

There are other reasons to be thoughtful about what you eat besides taste and tradition.

obi

What you say?? :D

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
McDonald's just announced that they'll be testing a meatless burger in Canada. And Nestle Foods just announced their own version of a meatless burger based on yellow pea protein.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Beyond Meat Inc. after a crazy IPO stock run up starting in May, has settled back down to 350% of opening.

..so if you put in reasonable $5K,, it'd be worth $17,500 today (again, that's from just May)

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Something just doesn't seem right, if you have to trick yourself into eating plants instead of meat.

Putting on my devils advocate hat, grocery stores are jam packed with altered and substitute foods...

Diet soda / light beer

Low fat milk / yogurt

Sugar free cakes and cookies

Gluten free bread and crackers

Dairy free butter and ice cream

Is a meat free burger or hot dog that different from 1000 different products people have been buying and eating for generations or is all food with long ingredient lists, complex processing or substitute origins - off the menu?

nbp

Flashaholic
I wonder if they called it a "plant based sandwich patty" if people would have the same reaction, or if they just take issue with the use of the word "burger".

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I wonder if they called it a "plant based sandwich patty" if people would have the same reaction, or if they just take issue with the use of the word "burger".
Well as far as I remember I've never called a chicken or fish sandwich on a bun a chicken or fish burger and they aren't the same "meat" as the whopper and neither is the pea-meat the same. As long as they differentiate that it isn't a normal burger and has no real meat I have less issues. I think however some think that if this fake meat gets popular and cheaper to make than real meat there may be places selling meatless burgers without telling people that it is a "knock off" of the real thing being sold at the same price.

nbp

Flashaholic
With all the concerns about labeling foods for allergens now I highly doubt that will ever happen for legal reasons. You don't know if someone might be allergic to an ingredient in the plant meat so you would have to tell them that's what it is.

This is a Patty Melt, sir. This is better than, but not, a hamburger.

And as a hamburger connoisseur......

obi

vzintJ1.jpg

Happy, now? :p

My second issue is Madison Avenue Suits marketing food as new, improved, healthy and better for the earth when it's not.

Furthermore, food is a personal choice. I don't care what people choose to consume or abstain from, just don't lecture or try to control me concerning my choices. That's my first issue.

Moderation in all things ..... including moderation.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
With all the concerns about labeling foods for allergens now I highly doubt that will ever happen for legal reasons. You don't know if someone might be allergic to an ingredient in the plant meat so you would have to tell them that's what it is.
Often the ingredients are in the fine print that few take time to read if at all. It would be easy for them to substitute fake meat in burgers and call it a burger and put in the fine print the fake meat ingredients and sell it as a burger and people will think it has real meat in it. If the meatless gets cheaper to make you may find it harder to get a real burger for sure without reading the fine print beforehand. Imagine if they get the process of fake meat patties down to where they cost 1/2 as much as real meat and then someone decides in Washington that if a meat has 51% real meat then they don't have to label it as not real meat but include in the tiny print the extra non meat ingredients they could make a greater profit from not a true meat burger that has 49% fake meat ingredients.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Some people may be advised, at minimum, by their doctor to greatly reduce their cholesterol intake,
do to family history of heart attacks & strokes.

Maybe you'd be willing to adjust things you like to eat a bit

It's going to take very little for me to shift this to health/nutrition and 1/3 US pop..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Putting on my devils advocate hat, grocery stores are jam packed with altered and substitute foods...

Diet soda / light beer

Low fat milk / yogurt

Sugar free cakes and cookies

Gluten free bread and crackers

Dairy free butter and ice cream

Is a meat free burger or hot dog that different from 1000 different products people have been buying and eating for generations or is all food with long ingredient lists, complex processing or substitute origins - off the menu?

With the exception of that last one, all the rest of those items are still the real thing. Just slightly altered. I would definitely put the Dairy free butter and ice-cream in the same category as meatless burgers. Food masquerading as a different type of food.