Anyone have the Jetbeam Jet-ST Personal limited edition light?

fyrstormer

Banned
As far as I know, all Jetbeam lights use LEDs mounted on MCPCBs that aren't epoxied into place. The MCPCB is held in-place by the reflector, and the thermal path uses computer heatsink paste instead of epoxy. I never worked on my Jet-ST, but if it's assembled the same way as other Jetbeam lights, it should be easy to service -- IF you can remove the lens ring without gouging it.

pol77

Newly Enlightened
I thought I would just leave this information here: I was able to open the JetBeam Jet-ST by unscreuing the ring holding the lens, using a rubber band. Just a bit of patience (5 minutes) and a thick rubber band is all it took.
For the Jet-II PRO Classic, it looks like there is a press fit ring on the front, holding the lens. I don't see a way of opening it.

pol77

Newly Enlightened
Sure,

I just used a thick rubber band between my finger and the lens ring and that gave me the required friction to unscrew it, by hand. It took about 5 minutes. It takes a bit of strength in the fingers.

pol77

Newly Enlightened
But it did. I have unscrewed the inset lens ring of my Jet-ST, using a thick rubber band.

I have not been able to do the same with the Jet-II PRO Classic. Maybe the lens ring is press fit on that one. Does anyone know?

fyrstormer

Banned
Hmm. I guess I'd need to see a picture of how you pressed the rubber band against the inset lens ring to loosen it.

Either way it's good to know there's a way to remove that lens ring without special tools.

I've never seen the Jet-II Pro Classic, but maybe it's been secured with Loc-Tite? A heat gun might loosen it. That works on Surefire flashlights, anyway.

pol77

Newly Enlightened
I will try to get a picture for you when I get home from work, showing how I placed the rubber.

A heat gun? Won't that damage the o-ring and even maybe discolour the titanium? I would love it if someone that has already oppened the Jet-II PRO Classic would give me a pointer.

pol77

Newly Enlightened
HJK1ims
vhsWIZq.jpg

fyrstormer

Banned
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that such a small area of contact would be sufficient to loosen the lens ring.

No, the heat gun will not damage the O-ring or discolor the titanium. (it might harden your skin oil on the titanium and make it very difficult to remove to restore the titanium's original color, but that's a different issue.) At least, not unless you use one of those industrial-strength heat guns that can make metal glow red-hot just by blowing superheated air on it.

pol77

Newly Enlightened
I did try hard to get it loose. It took about 5 minutes and as I was about to give up because my fingers hurt, it came loose.

On the Jet-II PRO Classic, do you know what part unscrews? Is it the entire front part, including the gnarled portion or is it just the small ring on the lens?

fyrstormer

Banned
I have no idea, honestly. I've never owned a Jet-II Pro Classic. Looking at pictures of it, I'm guessing the small ring in front of the lens unscrews, but I can't tell from pictures whether the ring is actually threaded.

LoPan12

Newly Enlightened
I did try hard to get it loose. It took about 5 minutes and as I was about to give up because my fingers hurt, it came loose.

On the Jet-II PRO Classic, do you know what part unscrews? Is it the entire front part, including the gnarled portion or is it just the small ring on the lens?
Are you talking about these?

https://i.imgur.com/zUWyCHQ.jpg

Edit: nvm, more googling found it. You ever get yours off? Looks like the whole knurled part would come off.

Last edited: