Anyone here starting to get bored with cree lights?

ynggrsshppr

Newly Enlightened
Same here, I'm getting bored. There are just so many lights that have absolutely nothing else going for it so manufacturers slap a Cree LED on and suddenly it is as if it was a good light. So now there's this deluge of lights with Cree emitters and they're all exactly the same.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
dont understand the "bored with them"-ppl. :thinking:

Is it fault of the double efficient emitter, being brighter, or running longer, or producing way less heat, or everything together than the outdated Luxeons, that ceap lights are cheaply made (or, in case of Fenix and such, are price/value perfect) ?

If You dont like the housings, take one You like and build Yourself Your most special light
(see homemade & modified section, f.e. my "Inova T1 on steroids" tread, You can see 2 modded lights there)

bigfoot

Enlightened
Not bored here - I am eagerly awaiting Surefire's new L1 with the Cree.

Until then the E1L that I bought last year will suit my needs just fine. :rock:

the servents of twilight

Newly Enlightened
Not bored with them at all. I have been using my LOD-CE and my Rexlight on almost a daily basis. They are great!!!!! I am getting bored of waiting for the new lights and batteries I ordered. :shakehead

moon lander

Enlightened
the only thing setting all the cree lights apart other than how it looks and the ui, is the drive current, reflector, and bin of the led. i would love to see more continuously variable brightness lights, and maybe a few with no reflector for lots of flood, or multi emitter lights. other than those, i think im all set until the next great led comes out.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's weird! I have gotten so accustomed to having brighter lights that now my LP M1 seems just plain ok, and sometimes need to compare it to a regular luxeon led to make sure it is still twice as bright as when I got it.

I would like to have brighter SSC's and Cree's that what I have now! when are the V / W / X or Q3 Q4 R1 R2 bin leds coming out? And would also love to see regulated lights that work with either li-ion or 2 x 123's with at least 3 levels of light or a regulated flupic.

Guess I'm spoiled!
AlexGT

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm still waiting for a CR2 powered Cree or SSC. Lots of luxeons around, but I'm hanging out for a Cree/SSC version. With such a little battery, every bit of help in efficiency and runtime matters.

CR2 Ion is Cree. It also comes in Cree XR-E flavors.

Chao

Enlightened
I am not sure if I get bored with cree lights, but I actually didn't pay attention to any light last two month, I think I am waiting Surefire cree lights so far!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got sucked into the Cree hype. I'm getting a Cree Premium drop in from Bug Out Gear USA. Hey if I can get 9P performance from a 6P package and twice the runtime whats not to love. Plus it is easily reversable out in the field. I will continue to carry a P60 in my SC1 just in case. Now thats piece of mind.

kelmo

racerx2oo3

Newly Enlightened
I suspect that what many are bored of is really just a shift in seeing a technology mature. When I first joined CPF LED lights were on the bleeding edge and there was a mania and drive to see how they could be developed and pushed. The potential to get output in small form factors boggled the mind at the time.

However, now the technology has matured past the point where a few intrepid individuals are pushing lights to the limit to see what can be done. There is no novelty in LED lights anymore because they have become common place. There is little room left for the custom light makers, because we have become so price sensitive that there is little performance gained from the custom lights over the mass produced chinese lights, so only those concerned with build quality are interested in custom lights. The enthusist market for high end customs is going away.

In addition, while we used to spend +$100 on a single high power light, the cost of the new lights means that we can buy 5 or more lights that perform at the same level for the same price, however nothing seperates these lights from each other.

The solution, don't buy every light available simply becuase you can. Pick what features are important and buy based on that.

I bought a P1D-CE because I wanted a light that slips in a pocket for EDC. It's a great light for that. I just bought a P2D-CE body to use with the light for camping for greater runtimes, and higher Turbo output. In both cases I bought the lights with a specific feature or need in mind.

Sean

warpdrive

Enlightened
I'm only bored with the cheap Chinese lights. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of HDS or Surefire versions of their Cree light. My U60, L4 and EL1 are still my favorite lights and the Cree versions will be even better.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never got sucked into the Cree hype...happy with my HDS B42XRGT & U60GT, I will be getting sucked into the HDS SSC hype though...Hell, the sooner the better. :rock:

CFU

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never got sucked into the Cree hype...happy with my HDS B42XRGT & U60GT, I will be getting sucked into the HDS SSC hype though...Hell, the sooner the better. :rock:

CFU

the SSC has the perfect light-pattern for the HDS. I had mine done with a SSC P4 and the result is scary bright. No need for bunch of ****ty lights with no redeeming qualities other than a Cree LED when I have the HDS.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is it that only the cheapo Chinese companies are using high end emitters?
Because we're their target market, and we don't hold them accountable for poor quality and exaggerated specs. So there's no incentive for them to delay product releases for quality assurance.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just seems like all the Cree and SSC lights are clones of each other. Once you have one, there seems to be little point in buying another.

It's more interesting to see multiple LED lights e.g elektrolumens or Barbolight or to see how small they can go e.g. Orb wee. A 4AA light like the SLPP would also be good for long runtime and easily available batteries.

hoppy1010

Newly Enlightened
Nope I have a Ti XR19 PD and I just love it has a perfect beam and plenty
bright, also like the fact that Don didn't make to many before he started using P4's.:twothumbs