Anyone make a glass lens for SF 9N?

TwinBlade

Enlightened
I am looking to replace the Lexan lens on my Surefire 9N. Does anyone make a glass lens for this light?

I would appreciate any input.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Re: Anyone make a glass lens for SF 9AN?

Well, That's the actual trick here. I can "budge" the lens housing, but it takes every ounce of grip i have to get movement. I cannot dismantle it by hand.

I have pegged "grip" meters in the past too...

I may need to send it somewhere or to someone that has the right equipment...

Size15's

Flashaholic

I thought the 9AN featured a Pyrex glass window. The 9N featured Lexan. I'll have to check them both later.

Edit: checked one of my 9ANs and its window looks and sounds when tapped like glass.
BTW, isn't its window retaining ring the same as that used by the M3 (Z46) bezel given the bezel diameter is the same?

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yea, as far as I'm aware the 9AN is glass and the 9N is lexan.

TwinBlade

Enlightened

My 9N is indeed lexan.

If any of you good folk know who sells a glass lens, or who installs one, or any directions to taking this head apart so I can put one in myself, I am all ears. :D

I am sorry for the confusion in my first post. I have a 9N.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Like most other SureFires of it's generation, the 9N's Lexan window was a push-in, snap-fit installation.
It can be remove by 'popping it out' using a metal or other suitable thin rod inserted through the Lamp hole and applying hard sharp pressure to pop the window out.
Note: this will most likely mark in a horrible way the Lexan window so you're unlikely to want to re-install it.
Note: this takes quite some force. Don't using the surface of anything that could be damaged by the rod such as a desk or table top or kitchen work surface etc. Even a floor could be damaged.
Note: ensure the rod isn't so thick that it could contact and damage the reflector edge at the lamp hole.

Of course since SureFire does not offer a replacement 9N Lexan window kit, I've no idea what you're going to use to replace it with.
Glass windows don't tend to suffer the whole 'snap-fit' installation method (hence SureFire used a screw-in window retaining method for glass!)
Perhaps it has been achieved... I don't know. I guess that if somebody has managed to replace the classic Z32's Lexan window with glass then there is a little hope for your 9N...

Al :thinking:

TwinBlade

Enlightened
Al, I appreciate the time and advice.

After further review of the situation, I am actually liking the Lexan lens just fine. :D

Regards,

Jeff

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was able to unscrew the bezel on my 9N at one point. Plenty of force is needed. I wrapped things in old bicycle inner tubes and grabbed the bezel with a pair of channel lock pliers while holding the head itself in a vice. No scratches nor crushed aluminum but I was careful. I'll have to try it again and see if the lens just falls out or is, indeed, pressed in.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the delay. I just dug my 9N head out of storage and took it apart. It would appear that the lens is pressed in from the front side. You cannot push it through to the reflector. You can, however, push it from the lens side through if you can pull it out. I tried it and gave up when my thumb started to hurt.