Rediscovering the Surefire 9N

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am curious:
in what way do "newer" lights look different?
🤔

Take a look at some of the newer Jetbeam lights, they are starting to copy old Surefire designs.

Attachments

• 355499834_1391870444993039_2727816816167781664_n.jpg
    355499834_1391870444993039_2727816816167781664_n.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 98

325addict

Enlightened
I read this post with interest and remembered, that I also have a 9AN Commander and two of those NiCad sticks. Quite like "new", at least not used much. Let's measure.... 1.67 Volts, not completely dead, so I decided to try to wake it up gently with just 100mA of charging current from my laboratory power supply. That has worked fine, then number two... more than 2 Volts! That one was also revived successfully. They must have been around for 15 years, unused, never charged for such a long time. I even have a spare bulb for it. I started to use it now!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read this post with interest and remembered, that I also have a 9AN Commander and two of those NiCad sticks. Quite like "new", at least not used much. Let's measure.... 1.67 Volts, not completely dead, so I decided to try to wake it up gently with just 100mA of charging current from my laboratory power supply. That has worked fine, then number two... more than 2 Volts! That one was also revived successfully. They must have been around for 15 years, unused, never charged for such a long time. I even have a spare bulb for it. I started to use it now!

Are you saying it only got up to 2 volts or the full voltage? Either way it won't last. Once they're on the way out, the runtime will be very short and it will drop very quickly just sitting around as well. The 18650 adapters are the way to go. I'm not sure if I 21700 would fit in the body, but I really don't like those batteries anyways. Might be a little much for the bulb as well.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Must surely be be4 getting the charge...

With a sub-c being 22 mm Diameter + 43 mm length, a 21700 should easily fit.
And mean toting way less air around (inside the Body) than with an 18650
🤔
A difficult choice to switch to the larger li-ion cell, If one only has 18650 by now.

No Idea as to what the bulb says,
but If there is a difference in Initial voltage strike from these 2 batteries? Who knows?
:poof:

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
Are you saying it only got up to 2 volts or the full voltage? Either way it won't last. Once they're on the way out, the runtime will be very short and it will drop very quickly just sitting around as well. The 18650 adapters are the way to go. I'm not sure if I 21700 would fit in the body, but I really don't like those batteries anyways. Might be a little much for the bulb as well.
I was just meaning: after more than 10 years(!) of just sitting unused, that was the voltage I measured. I expected to see 0.00V here. So I thought I could as well give it a try to wake it up gently. The best way to kill NiCd batteries is to quick charge a battery that hasn't been used for a long time, so I just fed 100mA to it for 24 hours. Charging was done 18 days ago, one of the sticks just gave a faint glow now and was off, the other still holds up bright. I think I will just buy this one:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting light, but I'm really tired of the cool tints and weird battery sizes nowadays. And I don't need USB charging either. I understand that appeals more to the mass market though. But you can only flood the market so much with all the same stuff.