Anyone see this light on Kickstarter called DARKFADE

SYZYGY

Enlightened
i think it's kind of cool, but i'm skeptical about how i'd like it for everyday use.

45° clearly has advantages over 0° or 90° in some situations, but would i like it for general use? would have to try it.

the gyro-based UI sounds dumb as hell, but it's hard to truly judge without using it for a while. what if they did a really good job on it? even so, it's undeniable that having to move it around to change brightness would be supremely frustrating in some situations (during physical activity, in close quarters, or when clipped to something).

it seems needlessly chunky for an 18650 light, but at least they give you a rail to make up for it. kind of a cool idea, but in practice who knows.

also, afaik there is zero discussion on what kind of driver they are using and its efficiency.

it sounds like the min output is 1 lm. does that even count as moonlight? idk. also, it has to be programmed in. when you do that, how does it affect the rest of the output range? no one's said.

SYZYGY

Enlightened
This is your post from BLF after getting purely negative reactions to that point:
"Ah I get it now! I should have posted this on CPF I think they will get it. Will do now."

my interpretation..

the previous post was someone who didn't like the price of the light. maybe he saw that + "budget light forum" and assumed that was why it wasn't going over well.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who wants to pay today, for a light that Might be delivered next April? With no refunds if the product fails to ship.

Kickstarter does not give refunds if you dont receive your "reward" (youre not buying a product, you might just be supporting a Hairy Hustler in a Grifter Video.)

And why would people on CPF be more likely to Prepay to fund a non refundable kickstarter, than people on BLF?

Who believes the Hairy Guy designed the pebbled Tir?

Why do people pay in advance, for a product that wont ship until maybe next April?
Why not just wait until the product is in stock, and the Seller has provided some review samples, for independent evaluation, like all the other lights we usually buy?

The darkfade only changes brightness while holding the button, plus rotating the light.. sounds a lot like my Anduril lights, but they work in any position, I dont have to rotate the light, just hold the button.

in the meantime, you could buy a Skillhunt H04 RC. Note it also has a pebbled Tir, and offers the LH351D LED.. hmmm

zeroair_reviews_skilhunt_h04_rc_04-scaled.jpg

pics from zeroair review:

aiming tip: a headlamp holder can be used to aim the light at any angle, even straight UP for ceiling bounce:
zeroair_reviews_skilhunt_h04_rc_37-scaled.jpg

Does anyone think the darkfade could be a repackaged Skillhunt?... onboard charging, Tir, LH351d... hmmm

SYZYGY

Enlightened
Does anyone think the darkfade could be a repackaged Skillhunt?... onboard charging, Tir, LH351d... hmmm

i see some visual similarity, but no. too much stuff about it is different. different firmware (incl fw update over usbc), different driver (with accelerometer and gyro), different body, etc. i don't think skillhunt makes anything like it.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
> i don't think skillhunt makes anything like it.

Im suggesting they already have the same square bezel, tir lens, onboard charging, and LED.. I agree they would have to produce a different body, and install a different driver..

Chinese factories will do special orders, with minimun quantities.. prepaid..

or do you think the Italian guy is going to manufacture the lights himself?

SYZYGY

Enlightened
it is possible skillhunt or another vendor or factory makes it for them, but also:

> a repackaged Skillhunt?

can something never packaged as Skillhunt (or as anything else) be repackaged? no.