Are CR2 flashlights a dying breed?

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
As one who bought his first LED flashlight a couple of years ago, a CR2 fed flashlight wasn't even on my radar.....nor was CR123 for that matter. Frankly, I didn't know they existed...so for my customer demographic, they are dead cells.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a Quark Mini CR2 on my car key for years. And just this week I found an MJP Extreme Micro to check out. It is on the way right now. Luter too has made a few CR2 lights in recent years.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Still got the last one of my Surefire Titans, a couple Muyshondt Aeons in bronze, stainless and titanium, oh, and a Nitecore. CR2 still makes for a cool sized light.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything that can be done with CR2 can be done with 123. Marginally bigger but much larger capacity and more popular.

Just to stir the hornest's nest, Same goes for the AAA.

Neither CR2 nor AAA have any utility as the much larger capacity-wise options exist, with minimal size increase.

123s are everywhere.

nbp

Flashaholic
CR2s are fun though. It seems most of the really cool small run and custom CR2 lights were from years ago and are very hard to get anymore. All the CR2 lights I've had were Muyshondts I think. Fortunately Enrique still embraces this size and I do still have one Aeon Mk III, I think it is. The clicky one. I am working on wrangling up some NOS RCR2 lights from Peak. We'll see what happens!

Duster1671

Enlightened
I'm a fan of the CR2 size and disappointed it basically died. I had a 4Sevens Quark Mini CR2 that was the perfect light to drop in my pocket and watch it disappear. When it actually disappeared, I replaced it with an Aeon MkIII.

IMO, a CR2 twisty is the perfect size to ride loose in a pocket. It's shorter than a AAA and narrower than a CR123. The increased size of the CR123 makes a bigger difference than it might seem.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I very much liked my aeon mk ii, but it was always a bit too big to carry it on a keychain. For this purpose I too prefer 10180 form factor, in my case the dqg mule.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but not forgotten.

IMG_0711.JPG

The only CR2 lights I'm aware of in 2023 are weapon-mounted laser sights. (Streamlight makes at least three versions.) It's my understanding that the CR2-powered versions are more popular for handgun-mounted sights because of the smaller size and weight vis-a-vis other kinds of batteries.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly enough, CR2 are still on sale, the price in real stores is the same as that of CR123 or slightly higher, they are also ~ 5 times less (they are in 2 out of 10 battery stores). As it turned out, they are often used in industrial controllers and portable laboratory devices, although it would be possible to use the CR123 and this would not affect mobility (the devices weigh 2-3 kg each)

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Have only ever had a single CR123A flashlight, and still have it: a 4sevens Quark 123 Tactical XP-G R5.

Nice little unit, size-wise. I like the amount of output from it, for a basic pocketable light. But with better choices, out there, these days, it takes a back seat to others.

Latest posts