Aspheric lenses - 52mm/37mm fl - 52mm/33mm fl - 50mm/35mm fl - 50mm/38.5mm fl ~ Best?

KrisP

Enlightened
The only problem with the 50mm lens is that it actually fits inside the maglight head, so there is no way to have it rest at the front of the light by itself. When I used the 50mm x 35mm lens, I had to put a UCL between the lens and the head so the lens would have something to sit on. Alternatively, you could just use the reflector to create a platform.
I found this problem and ended up having to fine a 50mm outside diam. x 3mm thick O-ring. It was tight enough but the O-ring still wouldn't sit on the lip perfectly so I have to put a few drops of glue to hold it in place.
Did the UCL cause any issues with the light?

MrMimizu

Enlightened
Now that is very interesting. I have a mag 2C here in which my 50/35 JUST barely fits inside the head. It drops about 2mm down and rests on the inside edge of the head. I don't need to put in a UCL or the reflector for it to sit on.

As you can see in my photos, the lens fits in perfectly. Of course, this is NOT the head I'll be using so it's possible this solution won't work on the head that I receive from Mirage Man.

The only problem with the 50mm lens is that it actually fits inside the maglight head, so there is no way to have it rest at the front of the light by itself. When I used the 50mm x 35mm lens, I had to put a UCL between the lens and the head so the lens would have something to sit on. Alternatively, you could just use the reflector to create a platform.

KrisP

Enlightened
That is exactly how my 50x35 sits in my D-size head, but when you screw the bezel on there is still space for the lens to move, therefore an o-ring or some other sort of spacer is required.

wintermute

Enlightened
I'm not sure if the 50mm/38.5 fl lens would be a good choice. I believe what makes the lens a really good thrower has to do with the center thickness. I have another lens that is in the 60mm+ diameter, with a relatively short fl, but it's center thickness is not much. It does focus the light, but not to the really tight projection like my current 52x37 fl lens.

I just measured my 52x37mm lens and it has a center thickness of 23mm. The 50x38.5mm lens has a center thickness of 20mm. The only lens that seems to have a better center thickness is the 52 x 33mm lens, which is 25mm.

I'd love to order and try them both, but I don't know what I'd do with them if they don't work out :shrug: I appreicate your offer, though :wave:

I am going to have to respectfully disagree that what makes the light a good thrower is the "center thickness" known as Tc. What is going to collect more light into a more concentrated area in a configuration such as this is the F-number and the focal length. The 50x38.5mm has a higher F-number and focal length (even though the Tc is smaller). I may be wrong, but using lenses of this type is new enough that I think trying other options would be best.

Is no one else interested in testing this? The lens costs $28, I'll pitch in $10 to anyone who would be willing to test the lens and post results. Will anyone else pitch in $5 or $10 to have this lens tested as well??

From other sellers, they have 50mm diameter lenses with 35, 38.5, 39, 42.5, 49, 55mm focal lengths. For the 52mm, I've only been able to find 33 and 37mm focal lengths. There has to be a reason that there are so many different focal length versions for the 50mm. Another manufacturer of aspheric lenses has info on sizes available here: http://www.optarius.com/dl-asphcond.pdf

I just figure that testing the longer focal length is worth the time. If it doesn't perform up to your specs and you don't want to keep it - put it up for a CPF auction and donate the money to CPF. That solves the issue of what to do with them if they don't work out.

We're trying to do the exact opposite of what the aspheric lenses are for - so it's hard to tell what will work best without testing. I don't know what the focal length of your 60mm lens is, but you are basing the idea that center thickness provides the best results by comparing only 2 lenses of similar diameter and focal length. The 37mm focal length works better then the 35mm focal length, so why not try the 38.5mm focal length.

Now that is very interesting. I have a mag 2C here in which my 50/35 JUST barely fits inside the head. It drops about 2mm down and rests on the inside edge of the head. I don't need to put in a UCL or the reflector for it to sit on.

As you can see in my photos, the lens fits in perfectly. Of course, this is NOT the head I'll be using so it's possible this solution won't work on the head that I receive from Mirage Man.

That looks very good - it seems like the fit is very nice. Hence, why I wish someone would try the 50x38.5mm lens. It seems that the 50mm lens fits in perfectly with the host, hence my desire to get a 50mm lens which works best.

Since the 52mm x 37mm lenses are no longer available from the Surplus Shed, for me to test the 52x37mm against the 50x38.5mm - I would have to buy both lenses for $56...hence why I am willing to donate $10 to the testing (hopefully a couple other people will do this as well). If the lens doesn't perform up to the same level as the 52x37mm, I'm sure someone would still use it - so we can auction it off and the proceeds go to CPF. If the lens does work well, then the tester can just keep the lens.

Who is with me?? :twothumbs - anyone with the 52mm x 37mm lens who would like to test the 50mm x 38mm just PM me your PayPal address and I will send the donation money to support the testing. At the very least, CPF will get $25-$30 out of the whole thing when we auction it off later (or the tester gets the great new lens).

Last edited:

MrMimizu

Enlightened
I ordered a coated 55x38.5mm coated lens along with another 50x35 lens. I don't know if the 55 will fit in a maglight head but if it does, I can tell you if I can see any real difference. At the very least, I can rest it on top of the light and see turn the head all the way down. Should do the trick.

Also, don't you think you might be over analyzing all this?
Why not just buy the $5 lens from Surplus Shed, pop it in your setup and when another cheap lens comes available, pick it up. For myself, the numbers don't mean a thing. Having 532432 more lux @ 1m vs my 50x35mm lens doesn't tell me a thing. As long as the beam looks good when I turn it on, I'll be happy.

Since the 52mm x 37mm lenses are no longer available from the Surplus Shed, for me to test the 52x37mm against the 50x38.5mm - I would have to buy both lenses for $56...hence why I am willing to donate $10 to the testing (hopefully a couple other people will do this as well).
Who is with me?? :twothumbs - anyone with the 52mm x 37mm lens who would like to test the 50mm x 38mm just PM me your PayPal address and I will send the donation money to support the testing. At the very least, CPF will get $25-$30 out of the whole thing when we auction it off later (or the tester gets the great new lens).

wintermute

Enlightened
Also, don't you think you might be over analyzing all this?
Why not just buy the $5 lens from Surplus Shed, pop it in your setup and when another cheap lens comes available, pick it up. For myself, the numbers don't mean a thing. Having 532432 more lux @ 1m vs my 50x35mm lens doesn't tell me a thing. As long as the beam looks good when I turn it on, I'll be happy.

Over analyzing it?? Ummmm...ok

I like to look at how something works and then figure what is the most efficient way to accomplish that goal. If that means I am over analyzing this, then I over analyze things all day, every day..

I actually like to test things...try things...find what works best - rather then just go by saying "Well, so and so says use 'X' - so I'm going to use 'X' " I have a desire to understand which optic works better and why. :thinking:

No disrespect to cryhavok, but just saying "center thickness is what makes a good thrower" doesn't really clear things up for me. I'm sure someone on here has a better understanding of optics and can explain what makes one lens work better then another. Aspheric lenses are used in some types of eyeglasses - and technology progresses they have been able to make a lens with a smaller center thickness and still focus light in the eye equally well.

I'll do more research on my own regarding this and see what information I can find. I was just hoping that someone with an advanced understanding of optics would chime in with more info. :candle:

gearbox

Newly Enlightened
Over analyzing it?? Ummmm...ok
<snip>
I'll do more research on my own regarding this and see what information I can find. I was just hoping that someone with an advanced understanding of optics would chime in with more info. :candle:
Very simple, good man.
You see, the wave with the initial spacial angle of approach, respresented as sinθ1, has a specific velocity, known as v1, and a sepcific refractive index, known as n1. This "incident" angle is ever so slightly changed upon entering another medium, which has it's own refractive index (n2) caused by the differential transmogrification of the first velocity to the velocity of the wave now observed within the second material. The new velocity is, of course, known to be v2, with an exiting angle of sinθ2. This ratio is most often explained mathematically as such: (sinθ1 divided by sinθ2) is (v1 divided by v2) times (n2 divided by n1), you see?
Jolly good.:twothumbs

Norm

Retired Administrator

This is the Lens I used an extra O ring under the bezel and it all goes together perfectly. I took a few mm of the top of the battery tube to let the heat sink sit a bit away from the lens (instead of trimming the pedestal) focuses perfectly.
Norm

mikus

Newly Enlightened
I was holding what I believe is a 50mm/35mmfl aspheric lens in my hand while surfing yesterday, and happened to spot this thread. I think I'm hooked; I'll have to build one.

FWIW, the lens I'm holding came out of a Hella fog light, used on 3rd gen volkswagens, among others. It used a 55 watt H3.

kanarie

Enlightened
I ordered a coated 55x38.5mm coated lens along with another 50x35 lens. I don't know if the 55 will fit in a maglight head but if it does, I can tell you if I can see any real difference. At the very least, I can rest it on top of the light and see turn the head all the way down. Should do the trick.
I am curious!

I have got the 50mm/35mm from http://www.surplusshed.com/
Happy with it; it is a perfect fit and it gives a very tight beam using my stock mag 3D (with a direct drive KLC8 led bulb) the hotspot (you can clearly see the square die) is at the smallest 12cm @ 4meters distance.
Only thing that disturbs me are the rings

Also I am waiting for some other (cheap) source for a 50mm/38.5mm or a 52mm/37mm am curious if that one will give a even tighter beam. Next on the list is a rebel and a decent driver.
here are some shots (at -2 stop and lights on it is still overdriving the cam)

Picture152.jpg

Picture154.jpg

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved my PL1027 50 mm x 35 mm aspheric and noticed that there was some play in the lens, I installed a Danco #88 oring (2 1/8 O.D. x 1 15/16 ID) and it fits perfect, no more play and the seal is great.

AlexGT

magasphericoringha0.jpg

moraino

Enlightened
it seems like the 52/37 is the best lens right now for the aspheric mag, does anyone have a source except for surplus shed and melles griot direct at

http://shop.mellesgriot.com/products/optics/detail.asp?pf_id=01 LAG 123&plga=098784&mscssid

trying to find someone who has it cheaper and surplus shed is out of stock with no date for about a month

I looked at this one and it is coated. Don't no how it compared to LP1072 from Surplus Shed which is not available now.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the same lens and am having the same issue with the rings. The center focus is impressive but there are several rings on it and there is one ring at the very outskirts that is super annoying.

Any way to fix that?

stop aiming it at the white wall, and go outside and use it :thumbsup:
the best cheap surplus shed lens was all snapped up, and not available at surplus shed anymore, the lesser one, that is not so perfect for the job, but still works has lots of extra unfocused light.

if you still have the reflector in, put black paper over the reflector , and see if that is the light that you do not like being there.
if its the light from the reflector, you could say put some Glow Vynal over it, and then the light going to the reflector does something usefull. glow vynal has a very poor adhesive, so it could potentially be removed.

Last edited: