Best Low $ LED Upgrade For a '96-2002, 3-D Mag-Lite?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you need a borofloat lens for a led? they are only needed for hotwires, it is not as clear as acrylic. it's only benefit is they are resistant to heat and do not expand as much. If you insist in glass get AR coated one. and be careful not to drop the light, i had several crack from falls

hsa

Enlightened
Flashlightlens.com doesn't have the normal UCl anymore in that size. They have the Borofloat now with 98% transmission.
They also have a real good acrylic. I maybe should have ordered that. Kind of wanted to try Borofloat anyway.

hsa

Enlightened
What alpg is saying is that Borofloat is mostly used for is high heat applications. These drop ins don't require that but they no longer have their original UCL. I was just after high transmission glass.

hsa

Enlightened
Hey Butch, it is rainy, foggy, muddy and all around nasty tonight. I was still out there for about 45 minutes or so but it is hard to judge the beam width in this weather. I can tell you that the output on this thing is everything it is supposed to be though and I got the medium level that I wanted. It took about 4 minutes to put it all together. It's a pretty slick set up if you like full size Maglites. I'll get back to you tomorrow with more details.

ButchW

Newly Enlightened
Sounds good, thanks... And stay dry... Supposed to start raining here in a couple of hours..
Butch